HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Open Electricity Market (OEM)

Like Tree581Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2018, 12:54 AM   #211
Master Member

Haha Ohm was very thorough on that. Cannot even click next until you really go and open the terms and conditions.

this was a very specific demand made by EMA for all the retailers who wanted to sell to domestic market. every retailer website you see, sure got thing block you like check boxes la...invisible scroll bars or greyed out boxes to make you read all the TNCs
Old 21-03-2018, 12:56 AM   #212
Great Supremacy Member

Waiting for Sunseap-Starhub...
I'm guessing the incoming Carbon Tax will have some small impact on our electricity, gas has little carbon footprint from what I understand...
Go green better...
Old 21-03-2018, 01:16 AM   #213

this was a very specific demand made by EMA for all the retailers who wanted to sell to domestic market. every retailer website you see, sure got thing block you like check boxes la...invisible scroll bars or greyed out boxes to make you read all the TNCs
Wah must be an insider. What plan do you recommend
Old 21-03-2018, 01:19 AM   #214
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think cheapest is if use geneco seraya and buy a battery to store the 0.10 cents electricity during non-peak and use the battery during peak period.

Firstly, seraya must allow it, and then, need to calculate the cost of doing such and when breakeven.

I google, it is called time of use home battery or something

http://www.eco-business.com/news/for...ones-you-want/

Seems tesla do for a building in USA and it has a 4 year payback which is not bad. 25% returns a year so called. Sinkie land, anyone do?
Ok I checked and it seems things like tesla powerwall home battery takes alot longer than 4 years to break even overseas. The initial cost too high sadly.
Old 21-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #215
Supremacy Member

Waiting for Sunseap-Starhub...
I'm guessing the incoming Carbon Tax will have some small impact on our electricity, gas has little carbon footprint from what I understand...
Go green better...
Well unfortunately if your idea is to hopefully save money by going with Sunseap I think it's not going to work out.

If you pick their 100% Solar plan, it is pegged to 100% of SP tariff, which means a carbon tax will also affect you as SP tariff rises due to carbon tax. Unless a carbon tax rebate is explicitly given which is not the case here.

If you pick their other plan, it is technically only 5% solar energy, and 95% of it is still conventional electricity. Even assuming that 5% is exempt from carbon tax, the 95% is still taxed. Still better than the first plan considering the 20% off SP tariff discount, but if cost is your primary concern, other providers probably have better offerings that save you more.
Old 21-03-2018, 02:11 AM   #216
Arch-Supremacy Member

IMPORTING 20 TONNES OF POWER BANKS NOW!
Old 21-03-2018, 03:07 AM   #217

I am totally noob on this.

I know some retailers have their own power plant/ clean energy generation facilities.

For those that do not, where do they get their electricity from?
Old 21-03-2018, 04:05 AM   #218
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am totally noob on this.

I know some retailers have their own power plant/ clean energy generation facilities.

For those that do not, where do they get their electricity from?
Buy and sell.
Old 21-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #219
Arch-Supremacy Member

@jurong240.

Which provider you getting for your lovely home?

seems like ohm is popular among the rest.
Old 21-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #220

just my 2 cents:

already signed up with Ohm and got referral and 50% off first 2 bills... that was before I came across this thread and looked up on Geneco-Seraya...

Ohm - no frills, all inclusive price and billing is through SP so no need to headache separate bills... price wise is also one of if not the lowest; renewal is same terms as your signup

Geneco-Seraya - all inclusive price, free smart meter and off peak price is very attractive for overnight aircon users BUT one major concern is renewal terms

People are talking about taking advantage of the off peak pricing charge battery and whatnot, but for the layman they won't really want to go through all the trouble... they want to sign up, get the cheapest price and forget about it... Geneco pricing by itself may be good already, but my concern is what happens after the contract term... if the offer 2 year contract might be worth considering... Ohm on the other hand ticks alot of checkboxes...
Old 21-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #221
Supremacy Member

@jurong240.

Which provider you getting for your lovely home?

seems like ohm is popular among the rest.
I might be getting the Geneco seraya. The 10% peak 50% off peak discount plan. Because I get extra huge savings during midnight where I always on the aircon. 3x aircon always turning on during the time.

Moreover, they are the only one that absorbs the AIM meter change, whereas others need pay $40.
Old 21-03-2018, 07:57 AM   #222
Supremacy Member

imo
for those household with no1 around during weekday daylight hours (except fridge/fish tanks)
by right should be better choosing those 7am-7pm 2 tier pricing right?
ie 7am-7pm more ex than 7pm-7am.

those with larger household with family memebers 24/7 inside may have a larger issue
choosing between flat n 2 tier prices.
Yes. It's especially beneficial for families who work during the day, and only at home the night to enjoy the off peak rate. That is why there is no best of the best deal.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #223
Arch-Supremacy Member

I might be getting the Geneco seraya. The 10% peak 50% off peak discount plan. Because I get extra huge savings during midnight where I always on the aircon. 3x aircon always turning on during the time.

Moreover, they are the only one that absorbs the AIM meter change, whereas others need pay $40.
Great. I do have questions. For off peak and peak .

For fridge that running 24/7 , how will this affect?
Old 21-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #224
Supremacy Member

Ok I checked and it seems things like tesla powerwall home battery takes alot longer than 4 years to break even overseas. The initial cost too high sadly.
The powerwall at its current configuration will not breakeven for the typical Singapore household.

Average power consumption is around 376 kWh for hdb and 732 kWh for private houses in 2015. That works out to 1 and 2 kWh per day respectively. The smaller powerwall 1 has 100 kWh capacity, 100-200 times more than what you need.

https://www.ema.gov.sg/cmsmedia/Publ...ion/index.html

Now we just need to wait for a local company to import from either enphase or byd a 1-5 kWh version. These 2 sell the safer and more reliable LiFePO4 batteries.

Last edited by SGuy1976; 21-03-2018 at 08:14 AM..
Old 21-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #225
Supremacy Member

So, if one of my factor to switch to a new retailer is to ensure my electricity is derived from sustainable sources, none of these new retailers here is truly doing that, i.e. they are still supplying what SP is generating (via burning natural gas) to me?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.