HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Open Electricity Market (OEM)

Like Tree581Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #226
Supremacy Member

Great. I do have questions. For off peak and peak .

For fridge that running 24/7 , how will this affect?
If your refrigerator is well insulated, the daytime electrical load should be quite low.

Most of the load is during and just after opening it to replace the lost cold air.

So if you want to thaw frozen meat for cooking dinner, do it the night before you sleep instead of in the morning when you wake up if you decide to go with the peak, off peak or wholesale pricing.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #227

Anyone with referral code for ohm please pm me thanks
Old 21-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #228
Supremacy Member

So, if one of my factor to switch to a new retailer is to ensure my electricity is derived from sustainable sources, none of these new retailers here is truly doing that, i.e. they are still supplying what SP is generating (via burning natural gas) to me?
Most of the solar capacity have been sold to the MNCs for them to feel good and get tax rebates at their home countries.

I don’t think that there is enough spare capacity currently for residential users to feel good too.
Qubicfactor likes this.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #229
Supremacy Member

Great. I do have questions. For off peak and peak .

For fridge that running 24/7 , how will this affect?
I'm not sure, but from what I know as fridge is on 24/7. Any electricity charged after 0000hrs to 0559hrs, I will be very cheap. After 0600 to 2359hrs, it will be back to 10% discount.

I think billing wise, they will spilt the charges for off peak and peak charges. This will perhaps help you make better choices on how you use electricity. Cos they provide you with AIM Meter, every half hour you can track usages.

Thereafter, you can schedule hot baths after 12am, baking, hair dryer, aircon. This will greatly save more power. 😲
aztech44 likes this.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:16 AM   #230
Supremacy Member

Most of the solar capacity have been sold to the MNCs for them to feel good and get tax rebates at their home countries.

I don’t think that there is enough spare capacity currently for residential users to feel good too.
Microsoft technically bought all their current capacity.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #231
Arch-Supremacy Member

If your refrigerator is well insulated, the daytime electrical load should be quite low.

Most of the load is during and just after opening it to replace the lost cold air.

So if you want to thaw frozen meat for cooking dinner, do it the night before you sleep instead of in the morning when you wake up if you decide to go with the peak, off peak or wholesale pricing.
Ah i see. So it doesn't really effect that much as the fridge power is mainly use during opening and closing after to replace lost cold air right?
Old 21-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #232
Supremacy Member

So, if one of my factor to switch to a new retailer is to ensure my electricity is derived from sustainable sources, none of these new retailers here is truly doing that, i.e. they are still supplying what SP is generating (via burning natural gas) to me?
You can, via Sunseap, but you have to forgo the savings as it is pure solar but pegged to SP tariff.

All other solar plans are a mix of 5-10% solar and conventional power.

Other alternative is to pick a plan that has carbon offsets as an add on or built in.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #233
High Supremacy Member

which 1 to pick?
Old 21-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #234
Supremacy Member

A check with the compare website, Diamond Electric is offering 15% discount or fixed 18.88cents/kWH. Not sure about their custom flexi plan, probably its off-peak and peak rates.

Hyflux is giving 12%, iSwitch is giving 23% discount on 6 months trial contract.

PacificLight gives 18% discount or (peak 12% discount, off-peak 24% discount)

Red Dot power - 10 to 12% discount or fixed rate at 19.58cents /kwh
Old 21-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #235
Banned

I'm not sure, but from what I know as fridge is on 24/7. Any electricity charged after 0000hrs to 0559hrs, I will be very cheap. After 0600 to 2359hrs, it will be back to 10% discount.

I think billing wise, they will spilt the charges for off peak and peak charges. This will perhaps help you make better choices on how you use electricity. Cos they provide you with AIM Meter, every half hour you can track usages.

Thereafter, you can schedule hot baths after 12am, baking, hair dryer, aircon. This will greatly save more power. �
After 12am, on ac for whole hse to keep it cool even till afternoon nao!
Old 21-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #236
Banned

which 1 to pick?
Depends on when you uses the most electricity......if night time, choose the one which gives most disvounts at night.....if day time or no diff in day/night usage, choose the one that give most discount upfront...
Old 21-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #237

I am unable to find the peak and off peak plan for Geneco by Seraya Energy
Old 21-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #238
Supremacy Member

which 1 to pick?
My general strategy - Use the compare tool at the openelectricitymarket.sg site.

1) Look at those offering the cheapest rates / largest discount percentage. For those offering day/night rates, don't bother if their night rates are higher than the lowest fixed rates across all providers.
2) See if they have a contract/contract free. Some ppl don't mind, others actually want a contract.
3) Check for sign up incentives
4) Shortlist
5) Double check provider's website, as non standard plans tend to be omitted/not listed on the openelectricitymarket compare tool. See if these may be better for you.
6) Pick one
7) ???
8) Save $ (unless you picked a plan that is technically SP tariff or somehow picked a non standard plan (wholesale or otherwise) and end up unlucky to have a bill = or > SP tariff.
Old 21-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #239
Supremacy Member

A check with the compare website, Diamond Electric is offering 15% discount or fixed 18.88cents/kWH. Not sure about their custom flexi plan, probably its off-peak and peak rates.

Hyflux is giving 12%, iSwitch is giving 23% discount on 6 months trial contract.

PacificLight gives 18% discount or (peak 12% discount, off-peak 24% discount)

Red Dot power - 10 to 12% discount or fixed rate at 19.58cents /kwh
Ohm gives
-22%
-16.95c/kwh
-$10 + 15.35c/kwh <-- I picked this one as my usage means 23++% discount equivalent
-$10 + wholesale USEP + 3rd party charges

If add in the earlybird incentive I would technically have a 30+% discount for this year liao.

Last edited by Qubicfactor; 21-03-2018 at 08:54 AM..
Old 21-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #240
Supremacy Member

Ohm gives
-22%
-16.95c/kwh
-$10 + 15.35c/kwh
-$10 + wholesale USEP + 3rd party charges
Yeah. Thanks for the input, updated on first page. Theirs is quite interesting, they also give sign up promo too. Perhaps a marketing gimmick to get more customers using promo codes. I'll consider first. Not really decided what plan. Cos next month, they will hold a roadshow in Westgate, probably more promos at the physical roadshow.

I am unable to find the peak and off peak plan for Geneco by Seraya Energy
Use this, Seraya is big company and serve business companies, their subsidiary is Geneco giving the peak and off peak promo
https://geneco.sg/
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.