HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Open Electricity Market (OEM)

Like Tree384Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #31

will there be reliability issues? like power outage or surges?
Redbull1628 likes this.
a4973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #32
Master Member

not that i think of. They have already put up a fact, everything go through SP group. Your power will still be supplied by SP, but billed by the new retailer.

Just like errr. Singtel Satellite, but you using M1 or Starhub, all share same infrastructure. If M1 goes down, circles.life also too
Redbull1628 likes this.
Jurong640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #33

sp group profit too much, electrical bill always too high..
Redbull1628 likes this.
member1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #34
Supremacy Member

Just Compiled some

Tuas Power
1) Fixed @ $0.194/kwh
2) 10% off
3) [Peak Periods (7am-7pm)20.2 cents/kWh] [Off-Peak Periods (7pm-7am)
19.0 cents/KWh]

Sunseap-Starhub
1) Same but 100% solar power
2) 20% off

Best Electricity (Prime)
1) Cash rebate (3mths avg usage*$1.07). Price same
2) 20% off
3) Fixed $0.168/kwh

Geneco by Seraya Energy
1) Fixed $0.1683/kwh
2) 20% off
3) [Peak Periods (6am-12am) 10% off ($0.194/kwh)]
[Off-Peak Periods (12am-6am) 50% off ($0.1078/KWh)]

Keppel Electric
1) 21% off
2) Fixed $0.165 ~ $0.1707/kwh
3) [Peak Periods (7am-11pm) ($0.1880/kwh)]
[Off-Peak Periods (11pm-7am)($0.1538KWh)]

Here are some of the best options i've detailed out.
Ya man... keppel seems cheapest as compared to SP ($0.2156/kwh)
Redbull1628 likes this.
Toiletpaper80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #35
Master Member

Ya man... keppel seems cheapest as compared to SP ($0.2156/kwh)
yeah from figures it seems on average 24hrs they are cheapest. But I find the seraya geneco attractive. 50% during midnight. Its especially good for aircon!
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #36

Jurong640, do you live at BLK 640 Jurong West Street 61 ?
Redbull1628 likes this.
muji4832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #37
High Supremacy Member

Bookmarked.

Their plans got state what happens after contract ends? Will rates change?

During contract, can rates change? If SP up/down price, these companies will auto adjust?
Redbull1628 likes this.
coolmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #38

Nope, essentially our government (EMA) will fine these companies if their power station or generator trip and there will always be sufficient standby within the grid.

What these retailer do is they will buy power from the grid and sell it to you while paying SP for using their transmission infrastructure.

For retailer like sunseap, if they sell u x amt of "renewable" power, it means their solar panels will "sell" x amt of power into the grid (common pool) and then "buy" x amt of power from the common pool from the grid when u, the customer received the power at ur house.

Beside, the "renewable" power is bull-**** as I doubt Singapore will have enough battery within the grid to still provide you with solar power when there is no sun.

My 2cents is just switch but try not be tied to a long term contract as you will still want to see how the market develop. The savings actually come from the fact that these private companies are more cost efficient vs SP which is basically civil service.
godofpewpew and Redbull1628 like this.

Last edited by blackevil_2000; 20-03-2018 at 04:06 PM..
blackevil_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #39

Bookmarked.

During contract, can rates change? If SP up/down price, these companies will auto adjust?
Yes because, electricity prices is highly dependent on natural gas prices. They just give u a discount off SP prices.
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #40
Master Member

Bookmarked.

Not really, i think they will email or mail you asking you to re-con, just like our mobile operators.

Nope, essentially our government (EMA) will fine these companies if their power station or generator trip and there will always be sufficient standby within the grid.

What these retailer do is they will buy power from the grid and sell it to you while paying SP for using their transmission infrastructure.

For retailer like sunseap, if they sell u x amt of "renewable" power, it means their solar panels will "sell" x amt of power into the grid (common pool) and then "buy" x amt of power from the common pool from the grid when u, the customer received the power at ur house.

Beside, the "renewable" power is bull-**** as I doubt Singapore will have enough battery within the grid to still provide you with solar power when there is no sun.

My 2cents is just switch but try not be tied to a long term contract as you will still want to see how the market develop. On top of these, the savings come from the more efficient running of these private company vs SP.
Sunseap, they say 100% solar power. But no savings for us. Like what you said is true. If everyone tap on solar, doubt it have the capacity to supply to all households, gustling aircon every night.

Jurong640, do you live at BLK 640 Jurong West Street 61 ?
haha. Keep guessing.
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #41

Sunseap, they say 100% solar power. But no savings for us. Like what you said is true. If everyone tap on solar, doubt it have the capacity to supply to all households, gustling aircon every night.
What they mean is that if their customer take say 100mwh of power, they will pump 100mwh of power into the grid. However their 100mwh will probably be pump in during the day. At night they still need to buy power from the power station which uses natural gas and sell it to you. So to those ppl who think that you are making the world a better place by buying from Sunseap, think again.
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #42
Master Member

Just pick the cheapest and with the longest contract period.
Not a western sinkie but I tot I might just come in with some tots. I think in consideration of the pricing and such, it might actually be better to think a couple of years ahead.

The price might be super attractive now but will there be a nasty turn of policy a couple of years down the road? Is the cheapest plan gonna be 100% low price forever? What will happen if oil prices suddenly shoot up due to XXX or YYY factors, how will it affect the pricing. Is there fine prints that allow these company to up the price as and when they like it?

Imho, it would perhaps be wiser to find out all you guys could, before committing to one of them.
Redbull1628 likes this.
Akky85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #43
Master Member

What they mean is that if their customer take say 100mwh of power, they will pump 100mwh of power into the grid. However their 100mwh will probably be pump in during the day. At night they still need to buy power from the power station which uses natural gas and sell it to you. So to those ppl who think that you are making the world a better place by buying from Sunseap, think again.
understand, that's why those into "green" - not starhub, thinking 100% green energy, they are all wrong

There are loads of Solar Panels plated on my building rooftop. Still got no news on how we household can benefit from this. Throughout Jurong, last year, they have already installed Solar Panels on some of the blocks.

Currently i think it can only supply enough power to power corridor light and lifts, the rest pump back to national grid
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #44

Read fact sheet / tnc - consumer will pay for carbon tax.

So will open market really be cheaper?
Redbull1628 likes this.
Sofa_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #45
Master Member

Not a western sinkie but I tot I might just come in with some tots. I think in consideration of the pricing and such, it might actually be better to think a couple of years ahead.

The price might be super attractive now but will there be a nasty turn of policy a couple of years down the road? Is the cheapest plan gonna be 100% low price forever? What will happen if oil prices suddenly shoot up due to XXX or YYY factors, how will it affect the pricing. Is there fine prints that allow these company to up the price as and when they like it?

Imho, it would perhaps be wiser to find out all you guys could, before committing to one of them.
That requires very deep thinking on whether will oil prices go up or down. Those who choose discounts will get cheaper prices when prices are down. But slightly expensive when there is surge.
Redbull1628 likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.