HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Open Electricity Market (OEM)

Like Tree581Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #6061

The increase in electricity tariff just announced wakes more people up. Now Geneco leads the pact in the limelight. But the once blue-eye boy Ohm is losing favour.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #6062
Master Member

Hi Guys,

Any reason for not considering sembcorp's 1 yr fixed plan? It is 16.50 v/s 17.95 for Ohm. Sembcorp has security deposit of $130 for 5 room flat. That is the downside I guess?
Sembcorp does not absorb TLF, needs security deposit (roadshow waivers etc is exception) and seperate billing from water & gas bill.

It depends on your monthly household usage. Since the rates are in cents, its lesser significant if your home usage is low thus will need to consider other factors besides rates - flexibility, security deposit, integrated billing, TLF, lock in period, etc

Last edited by jeremysv; 01-07-2018 at 11:24 AM..
Old 01-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #6063
Master Member

The increase in electricity tariff just announced wakes more people up. Now Geneco leads the pact in the limelight. But the once blue-eye boy Ohm is losing favour.
I guess all OEM needs to review their marketing strategy esp coming to the Aug Sep period or when OEM is opened to rest of SG since its a huge pie at stake - about 80%+ of Jurong and rest of Sg.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #6064

Omg thank for explanation. Was so worried i might be charged early termination cause the "transfer" from OHM to Geneco might not be on time
Might want to double check on that. I informed Ohm of the cancellation and there was this statement in their email.

Here's what you need to do if you wish to transfer to a new retailer:

- Contact your new retailer to initiate the transfer of your electricity account.

- Make sure that the transfer date is within your trial period. If the transfer date is after the trial period, we are not able to waive your Early Termination Fee.

I'm also kind of worried the transfer will not be done in time, ending up I had to incur the early termination fee... which makes it super not worth it obviously...
Old 01-07-2018, 11:31 AM   #6065
High Supremacy Member

so Geneco is cheaper for the time being?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #6066

Might want to double check on that. I informed Ohm of the cancellation and there was this statement in their email.

Here's what you need to do if you wish to transfer to a new retailer:

- Contact your new retailer to initiate the transfer of your electricity account.

- Make sure that the transfer date is within your trial period. If the transfer date is after the trial period, we are not able to waive your Early Termination Fee.

I'm also kind of worried the transfer will not be done in time, ending up I had to incur the early termination fee... which makes it super not worth it obviously...
Sorry... did i get the situation wrong? or its safer to transfer back to SP.. which will be a confirmed date.. then wait for Geneco to take their own time...

hah
Old 01-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #6067
Master Member

Depends on your monthly household usage, if you have any concerns on security deposit / seperate billing and lock in contract period, etc
Old 01-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #6068

about 5.6% cheaper than Ohm fixed rate of 15.95 if you signed on earlier.

The catch is lock in 24mths ... losing out of any potential price war when market opens to rest of singapore..

but on the other hand.. hedge against future hikes in SP tariffs.. which is likely given the rising oil prices ..

a check on previous years tariffs.. only a few QTRs will you get the tariffs fall below 15.99
Old 01-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #6069
Master Member

Sorry... did i get the situation wrong? or its safer to transfer back to SP.. which will be a confirmed date.. then wait for Geneco to take their own time...

hah
I think Ohm stand is you will need to firm up the transfer date to be within the trial period of 3 months thus if the "timing" with the new OEM is outside unfortunately, they will impose early termination penalty based on transfer date later than trial end date.

Since no new OEM starts on trial end date, if i am not wrong, billing will be reverted to SP until new OEM starts supply date.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #6070
Supremacy Member

I guess all OEM needs to review their marketing strategy esp coming to the Aug Sep period or when OEM is opened to rest of SG since its a huge pie at stake - about 80%+ of Jurong and rest of Sg.
By October, many Ohm users will have complete their 6 months contract. Customers like us will surely look for better deals. So I guess, they will review. Hopefully, it will be good for us.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #6071
Master Member

I signed up for sembcorp at Jurong East mall road show. 12 months fixed 16.5.

They don't waive off deposit. Also cannot enter referral code. They will enter their own referral code, so the customer service lady gets the benefit.

They only give me $20 NTUC voucher. I should have just signed up at home, using a referral code.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Last edited by revhappy; 01-07-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Old 01-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #6072

I know of my friends who wish they can secure a pricing now instead of waiting for it to be opened up to rest of the island.

SP rate of 0.23 kWh vs oem rate of ~0.17 kWh. I won’t regret if the open market rate in oct is <0.14kwh. But I know my downside risk is limited. It is interesting to know how much we been shortchanged these years??
Old 01-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #6073
Supremacy Member

I signed up for sembcorp at Jurong East mall road show. 12 months fixed 16.5.

They don't waive off deposit. Also cannot enter referral code. They will enter their own referral code, so the customer service lady gets the benefit.

They only give me $20 NTUC voucher. I should have just signed up at home, using a referral code.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
initially, they like to give ntuc vouchers. There are other retailers also giving shopping vouchers. This are the ways to hook onto people's attention.
But how much deposit did you place? Remember to put on your calender the contract end date.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #6074

I think Ohm stand is you will need to firm up the transfer date to be within the trial period of 3 months thus if the "timing" with the new OEM is outside unfortunately, they will impose early termination penalty based on transfer date later than trial end date.

Since no new OEM starts on trial end date, if i am not wrong, billing will be reverted to SP until new OEM starts supply date.
Hmm.. think i should email ohm to confirm the situation and not leave it to chances. Though its quite likely Geneco should get it done in time as I have specifically told them about the situation and they have like 5 working days.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #6075
Master Member

Okay. Check out your box.
PM me please, thank you.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.