Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #76
Supremacy Member

How come got enough land for solar?
Old 20-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #77
Arch-Supremacy Member

If current rate is $0.2156/kwh.

Then isn't going for flat rate at $0.168 better than pct?
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #78
Supremacy Member

Seems like rather redundant, why can't the main power just give people the cheaper rate straight. Create a middle man just to let them earn. If everyone produce their own power sell then nothing to say. But this, think its not real competition, just creating an artificial market to make it look like competition.
The same goes to telecom market. ST SH M1 price plans are so expensive tied to handset contract. When circles.life enter, giving more data at much cheaper rate, the rest start responding. Circles.life use M1 network. Much like what it is now with OEM.

Yeah, creating an artificial competition, but I rather have it then no competition-monopoly.

Next up I hope water market can also de regulate. Like getting water from hyflux or something
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #79
Supremacy Member

If current rate is $0.2156/kwh.

Then isn't going for flat rate at $0.168 better than pct?
Every quarterly price will change. Before $0.2156. There was $0.20, which after discount will be $0.16, much like the fixed rate.

But if oil prices fall, it might fall below the fixed rate (of the retailers)
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #80
Supremacy Member

not for all areas right? only jurong for now?

anyway what's the best for high consumption throughout the day?
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #81
Master Member

Few dollars diff, just stick to SP for lesser headache. I mean if SP is really losing clients, I’m sure they will adjust their prices eventually anyways.
The quarterly tariff adjustment is regulated by EMA

Sent from Samsung Galaxy In Outer Space using GAGT
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #82
Arch-Supremacy Member

Every quarterly price will change. Before $0.2156. There was $0.20, which after discount will be $0.16, much like the fixed rate.

But if oil prices fall, it might fall below the fixed rate (of the retailers)
Confirm is peg to oil price or natural gas?

Both look set to increase leh.
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #83

So how it work? Virtual provider, power source no change, just the people billing change? Like they take cheaper rate from main provider, then bill consumer more ex to earn?
Sounds about right, except for a few small details.
TLDR: the way retailers buy electricity is different from SP Services.

1. Generating companies in SG sell electricity to a wholesale market. The price they sell at is always fluctuating and will be a match between real-time supply and demand. Lets call this price the wholesale price.

2. SP Services buy from the wholesale market, but not at the fluctuating wholesale price. They buy at a vested price agreed upon between generating companies and EMA. This vested price is calculated one. It is meant to be a fair price to generating companies. It has something to do with the Long Run Marginal Cost of the company. It theoretically is fair.

3. Retailers will largely buy from the wholesale market using the wholesale price. Their role is like a middleman. They will charge us a price which reflects the wholesale price + their overhead.

4. The difference between vested price n wholesale price is quite significant.

5. With the deregulation, we now r able to buy from retailers who will hence charge a lower price. In effect, nothing much has changed. Only the middleman who bill us has changed from a regulated one to someone we can choose.

Do correct me if i m wrong...
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #84
Supremacy Member

1. Generating companies in SG sell electricity to a wholesale market. The price they sell at is always fluctuating and will be a match between real-time supply and demand. Lets call this price the wholesale price.

2. SP Services buy from the wholesale market, but not at the fluctuating wholesale price. They buy at a vested price agreed upon between generating companies and EMA. This vested price is calculated one. It is meant to be a fair price to generating companies. It has something to do with the Long Run Marginal Cost of the company. It theoretically is fair.

3. Retailers will largely buy from the wholesale market using the wholesale price. Their role is like a middleman. They will charge us a price which reflects the wholesale price + their overhead.

5. With the deregulation, we now r able to buy from retailers who will hence charge a lower price. In effect, nothing much has changed. Only the middleman who bill us has changed from a regulated one to someone we can choose.

Yes. Sounds good and logical. Hopefully future water can also be deregulated. Can get water from other companies, perhaps like Hyflux or Newater. Eehm
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #85
Master Member

To household consumers like us, point 5 is the most relevant to understand. I just hope they create more awareness for people to better understand as end users and not necessary about the wholesale market

Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #86
Master Member

Yes. Sounds good and logical. Hopefully future water can also be deregulated. Can get water from other companies, perhaps like Hyflux or Newater. Eehm
I dun think water can play like that now due to our country's water conservation efforts. Imagine if deregulate becomes cheaper, then more wastage on water.

Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #87
Supremacy Member

All 14 retailers will be at westgate in April to advertise too. Saw it from business times. This Sunday best electricity having their Road Show at Safra Jurong. Perhaps one can go there query.

I think it's a good imitative they started out in Jurong for trial. Because Jurong is the most populated and the biggest estate in Singapore. Effectiveness can be based on the results in Jurong.
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #88
Supremacy Member

I dun think water can play like that now due to our country's water conservation efforts. Imagine if deregulate becomes cheaper, then more wastage on water.

that's when water conversation tax comes in, instead of 35%, can maybe increase to 45%. Discourage water wastage and at the same time those who save, save more
Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #89
Master Member

that's when water conversation tax comes in, instead of 35%, can maybe increase to 45%. Discourage water wastage and at the same time those who save, save more
Hahaha then final price is back to square one lah

Redbull1628 likes this.
Old 20-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #90
Arch-Supremacy Member

Now there are 14 retailers offering cheaper electricity to consumers like us.

They all offer different plans, just did a check, lots of it. All of them are cheaper than what SP group is offering.

What's your view on it? For HWZers complied some offers below:

Tuas Power
1) Fixed @ $0.194/kwh
2) 10% off
3) [Peak Periods (7am-7pm)20.2 cents/kWh] [Off-Peak Periods (7pm-7am)
19.0 cents/KWh]

Sunseap-Starhub
1) Same but 100% solar power
2) 20% off

Best Electricity (Prime)
1) Cash rebate (3mths avg usage*$1.07). Price same
2) 20% off
3) Fixed $0.168/kwh

Geneco by Seraya Energy
1) Fixed $0.1683/kwh
2) 20% off
3) [Peak Periods (6am-12am) 10% off ($0.194/kwh)]
[Off-Peak Periods (12am-6am) 50% off ($0.1078/KWh)]

Keppel Electric
1) 21% off
2) Fixed $0.165 ~ $0.1707/kwh
3) [Peak Periods (7am-11pm) ($0.1880/kwh)]
[Off-Peak Periods (11pm-7am)($0.1538KWh)]

List of other suppliers:
Best Electricity Supply
Diamond Energy Merchants
Hyflux Energy
I Switch
Keppel Electric
Ohm Energy
PacificLight Energy
Red Dot Power
Sembcorp Power
Senoko Energy Supply
Seraya Energy
Sun Electric Power
Sunseap Energy
Tuas Power Supply
This only works if u have more than 400 SGD of electric bills a month right? I thought can get 15 cents per kwh?

How come the numbers are so different?
I cannot wait for it to come to east side.
Redbull1628 likes this.

Last edited by occifer; 20-03-2018 at 06:52 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.