HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Transfer from Presales Consultant to Test Engineer, should I go for the internal transfer?

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #1

Transfer from Presales Consultant to Test Engineer, should I go for the internal transfer?

Hi seefu, I'm in the dilemma, the Manager from R&D spoken to me today, because my friend told him that I'm interested to learn coding
I'm currently a Presales consultant for an ERP solution, I feel that consultant role is unstable, one day later might get wipe out by AI/ chatbot, so learn technical coding automation is the key to sustain a life in future. My friend told me that Test Engineer doesn't do coding, but they are very near to Developer, and might get a chance to transfer to Developer role if I learnt the coding. But I have very little skill in development, I know very little about code

Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
• Demonstrate a level of understanding of the system under test and gain an understanding of how customers use the products under test.
• Create and track to accurate and timely test estimates for projects
• Collaborate with the delivery team to create source documents used for testing artefacts and create and maintain test artefacts that maximise the efficiency of the test phase, cover all requirements and allow for timely delivery of products and/or components to our customers
• Execute different testing approaches within each defined stage of development and keep up to date with advances in the discipline, e.g. rapid, risk based, exploratory, regression, security, usability etc.
• Have an awareness of the test automation framework and as a result create, execute and maintain efficient and effective test automation scripts
• Take accountability for all test related activities within a test phase, accurately record and communicate risks and issues found during test phases and produce effective test metrics for the Test Team Lead
• Share knowledge and expertise across the wider testing team and where required coach others to avoid key person dependency
• Carry out such tasks as directed to meet the needs of the business Skills, know-how and experience:
Must have:
• Natural high level of attention to detail in all aspects of working. As a tester this might range from noticing pixel misalignment, legislative calculation inaccuracies or subtle differences in performance
• Able to multi-task effectively, prioritise and plan own time to ensure deadlines are met
• Good problem solving approach; always able to provide logical solutions and options
• Clear verbal and written communication style to enable conversations with all levels of stakeholder including direct customers and to ensure accurate issue recording
• Must be able to assess tasks for the best testing approach and apply these throughout the different phases of a project.
• A rapid ‘pick up and learn approach’ that will ensure valuable contribution to any team within days of joining the team
Preferred:
• Good domain, component or product knowledge
• Proven experience in testing including experience in designing and implementing test artefacts and awareness of relevant automation tools
• Relevant experience in a software development lifecycle

Do you support if I go request for the internal transfer?
The net surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

U do coding before anot first? Lol

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
ludicurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

My advise, be the r&d manager.

Trust moi, moi ish r&d manazer
theMKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Nowadays companies like to use the "engineer" title too freely.. anyhow also engineer
fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

No. Test Engineer although knows coding but it's very different from developer role kind of coding.
Is this sabotage? Or you not doing well as consultant.?
Consultant is the role will survived when everything being automated and coded by cheap developer. Those skills sets no longer valuable soon. Everyone knows coding or even machine can do coding for you in future.
Be a person who can think, plan and talk about solution is the only way to exist longer.
only_lonely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #6

U do coding before anot first? Lol

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
No, I didn't but I study Diploma IT before, have a little bit concept in OOP
Old 14-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #7

No. Test Engineer although knows coding but it's very different from developer role kind of coding.
Is this sabotage? Or you not doing well as consultant.?
Consultant is the role will survived when everything being automated and coded by cheap developer. Those skills sets no longer valuable soon. Everyone knows coding or even machine can do coding for you in future.
Be a person who can think, plan and talk about solution is the only way to exist longer.
functionality and feature in ERP will never stop changing, I can tell u many examples to prove this, so developer will never be out of job
I'm doing well as a consultant, my presales manager appreciates me
Test Engineer at least know the functional of the software inside out. Although no coding, but at least get to learn automation scripting testing tool
Consultant/ Sales role can be automated, by using YouTube live webinar, Knowledge Base. Modern ERP is getting transparent nowadays by publishing their functionality in forum or YouTube channel
Even though we have tool for easy software development, but that can do very simple small software only, when there is a change or modification need to be done, that cannot be used
I been studying the job market for some time, I can say that an old senior consultant salary is lower than a young senior developer
Old 14-02-2019, 10:23 PM   #8

My advise, be the r&d manager.

Trust moi, moi ish r&d manazer
What do u mean moi? I cant understand, pardon me
Old 14-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

...u think so easy to code meh? Need at least one year full time 9-5 to learn basic intermediate level.
The net surfer likes this.
bluecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #10
Master Member

Presales less technical than test engineer and developer. Only need to do basic demo and answer customer queries. If you having problem with presales, then you going to have more trouble with test engineer and developer.

Furthermore, testing can be automated which makes the role even easier to replace

Sent from HUAWEI BLA-L29 using GAGT
TedBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:29 PM   #11
High Supremacy Member

Hi seefu, I'm in the dilemma, the Manager from R&D spoken to me today, because my friend told him that I'm interested to learn coding
I'm currently a Presales consultant for an ERP solution, I feel that consultant role is unstable, one day later might get wipe out by AI/ chatbot, so learn technical coding automation is the key to sustain a life in future. My friend told me that Test Engineer doesn't do coding, but they are very near to Developer, and might get a chance to transfer to Developer role if I learnt the coding. But I have very little skill in development, I know very little about code

Presales consultant better, can meet more people and have wider network connection.
Testing engineer hiding behind can see who ?
If you never do coding before, better stay put.
Later replaced you with another cheaper better faster.
Got Master degree some more , you believe or not ?
Old 14-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #12
Master Member

No, I didn't but I study Diploma IT before, have a little bit concept in OOP
i told my new guys, don't give me the rubbish school teaches. Take what the school teaches as a pinch of salt, then just forget what school teach and learn basic from on the job. School teach textbook answer, which cannot be applied in commercial world

Sent from HUAWEI BLA-L29 using GAGT
TedBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #13
Master Member

SW Testing should be one of the first type of IT jobs to be replaced by AI automation.
SW Development is increasing saturated by cheap resources (i.e. ABAP developers used to earn alot until a lot of Indians depressing their wages) & outsourcing.

Presales consulting are front-end roles that will be hard to be replaced by AI.
yantao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #14

test engineer if you like OT
AZE and The net surfer like this.
ExcuseRMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #15

The company has two ERP solutions, if the testing process has been automated, I think they will assign the tester to take up another role in the higher tier solution.
ERP solution isn't like any other software, it has more than 1 million scenarios in different business case. so I don't think the testing process can be all automated.
Once I master the automation scripting, I can learn the one more advanced in software development
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.