AMA : I am a Gogovan driver

gizmo_toh

Reaction score
Actually wrong, courier parcel qty are alot now. Point is Don go for such courier delivery by destination.
Go find a courier company contractor with designated location. Although per parcel earning is little however As the qty increase alot nowadays. The cluster effect is there. As long you are hardworking, the money is there.

Can recommend which courier company contractor which you mentioned?

yuppieboy

Reaction score
For those hopefuls thinking of joining Lalamove as their delivery partners, I do have something to say to clear your doubt about joining this trade.

I have joined Lalamove in year July 2019 as a driver out of boredom but have remained rather inactive taking only 0 to 3 orders per month to pass my time.

However, when we experienced Circuit breaker in April and May, I was getting restless at home and my car was lying idle most of the time so I decided to go full-time starting on 1st May till 31st May just to experience the life of being a delivery driver for one solid month.

To begin with, getting job orders on a daily basis were horrible experiences. You have to be super fast on your fingers in order to secure the order. Many a times, you don’t have the luxury to see the details before the order was snapped up in just split seconds. So you have to be real quick with your fingers and that also means possibly picking up a job meant for the biker at a cheaper rate or jobs to an unintended destination far away.

Also there were more bikes orders compared to car orders in the ratio of approximately 9:1. So if you were to wait strictly for a car order, you are better off taking a nap or staying at home.

For the month of May, I had worked almost daily and managed to clock a total of 140 orders, which based on the previous incentives scheme, I would have an additional $200 given. (Previous incentives scheme:115 orders=$100; 135 orders=$200).

However, under the new incentive scheme which they recently introduced, even with my total of 140 orders, no incentives rewards were awarded to me for the whole month of May. This shows that their current revised incentives are anything but scheming and worked against the Drivers.

As far as their customer service were concerned, it was something that they need to improve seriously. It was always the same old playback again and again about them experiencing higher call volume due to Covid-19 but calls went unanswered even after waiting for more than an hour and half. (Luckily my telco plan has unlimited calltime).

And for the 140 orders I did for month of May, the total amount earned was about $1800 after deducting 16% for Lalamove commission. However, after taking into account of petrol consumption which was about $400, my actual nett earnings for May was only about $1400.

Overall, I felt that the rewards you get did not equate the hard work I put in. The experience I had was a far cry from satisfactory considering that you may need to factor in the cost of owning a car and it’s maintenance too.

So I guess if you intend to do it on a part-time basis for 2 or 3 jobs a day just to pass your time is fine, but for anyone intending to make a career out of it working fulltime as their delivery partners may seriously want to reconsider for other job alternatives out there.

Above is my frank opinion based on my driving stint with them. Hope I have given anyone reading this some insights about working in the delivery trade.

Last edited:

Freakerzz

Reaction score
For those hopefuls thinking of joining Lalamove as their delivery partners, I do have something to say to clear your doubt about joining this trade.

I have joined Lalamove in year July 2019 as a driver out of boredom but have remained rather inactive taking only 0 to 3 orders per month to pass my time.

However, when we experienced Circuit breaker in April and May, I was getting restless at home and my car was lying idle most of the time so I decided to go full-time starting on 1st May till 31st May just to experience the life of being a delivery driver for one solid month.

To begin with, getting job orders on a daily basis were horrible experiences. You have to be super fast on your fingers in order to secure the order. Many a times, you don’t have the luxury to see the details before the order was snapped up in just split seconds. So you have to be real quick with your fingers and that also means possibly picking up a job meant for the biker at a cheaper rate or jobs to an unintended destination far away.

Also there were more bikes orders compared to car orders in the ratio of approximately 9:1. So if you were to wait strictly for a car order, you are better off taking a nap or staying at home.

For the month of May, I had worked almost daily and managed to clock a total of 140 orders, which based on the previous incentives scheme, I would have an additional $200 given. (Previous incentives scheme:115 orders=$100; 135 orders=$200).

However, under the new incentive scheme which they recently introduced, even with my total of 140 orders, no incentives rewards were awarded to me for the whole month of May. This shows that their current revised incentives are anything but scheming and worked against the Drivers.

As far as their customer service were concerned, it was something that they need to improve seriously. It was always the same old playback again and again about them experiencing higher call volume due to Covid-19 but calls went unanswered even after waiting for more than an hour and half. (Luckily my telco plan has unlimited calltime).

And for the 140 orders I did for month of May, the total amount earned was about $1800 after deducting 16% for Lalamove commission. However, after taking into account of petrol consumption which was about $400, my actual nett earnings for May was only about $1400.

Overall, I felt that the rewards you get did not equate the hard work I put in. The experience I had was a far cry from satisfactory considering that you may need to factor in the cost of owning a car and it’s maintenance too.

So I guess if you intend to do it on a part-time basis for 2 or 3 jobs a day just to pass your time is fine, but for anyone intending to make a career out of it working fulltime as their delivery partners may seriously want to reconsider for other job alternatives out there.

Above is my frank opinion based on my driving stint with them. Hope I have given anyone reading this some insights about working in the delivery trade.

I join Lalalmove since 2018.Inactive as was busy with my day job.Its a back up to supplement my income back than.

Since covid and ** 2,i was force to do delivery jobs as my current job is commision base and im in the construction line .I do agree with you that the incentives that Lala is currently giving is really CMI.You cant even hit the weekends incentive no matter how hardworking and unfussy you can be.

For the record ,i restarted in late April 2020.
My May total is $1776 and total of 113 trips .Roughly translated to $1491 after 16% deduction.
Cater for $400 for petrol and left with about $1091.Barely surviving IMHO.
I will try to get bike or even car orders but within the range of 8-10km radius .
I rather do Tanjong Pagar to Orchard payout for car order est $17 ($14.28) vs $22 ($18.48) to far flung places like punggol.
As my base of ops is downtown core,im familliar with the area .

Orders coming in with generic area like grange road,telok blangah ,alwxandra etc i will grab them 1st.
Nearby but earn lesser but more pick up in the concentrated area.
Going towards east,north east ,west or north is a no go for me no matter how lucractive it is as there wont be much orders in the area after u deliver.The bulk of orders are in town/orchard/bugis etc .The return trip back to town is a waste of time and petrol .

On a good WEEKEND Fri and Sat im able to earn nett $100 +/- a day.
On a typical weekdays nett earning around $50 +/- if not fussy.

Supply more than demand.For those who are unfamillar with areas etc ,this ptime or bridging job is not for you honestly .

Last edited:

Freakerzz

Reaction score
For honest pickupp review .

The adhoc order i will avoid for now.The price is not reasonable at all.I nearly puke blood at some of the price listed.

I only aim for their bundled orders.Payout is $3.75 /$3 nett after 20% . Cut off time to finish is 10pm.

1st day pick up at their warehouse in ubi ,drop off at woodlands area.

2pm pick up
2-215 sort out the orders.
245pm reach woodlands area
7pm done all 32 items

32 parcel but 27locations.They pay you per parcel vs other CMI courier who pay you for per unit drop off .
Items are lightweight .But their client pack the items in small carton boxes.

For today
28 orders in kallang fringe area.

2pm pick up
2-215pm sort out orders
230pm reach my 1st drop off
630pm complete all my orders

In the above 2 days ,apart from travelling from the pick up point to 1st job drop off .My clustered order i dont even travel more than 25km max.
32 orders x 3 $96 for 4.5hours work.
Not saying alot but simpler,less frustrating and time spent more productively vs camping for orders for Lala.

I have experience from 1pm to 4pm unable to even pick 1 single orders on a weekday.Manage to snag 3 orders from 5pm onwards earning myself about $40nett +/- .
I stay in hougang .Coming down to downtown empty handed 12km .
For going home i make sure i pick any orders heading towards northeast .Make my return trip worthwhile

hangry

Reaction score

For car drivers using lalamove, it is not worth it to do part time cos even if you manage to clinch the car jobs, the return trip will probably be empty. Before **, u can at least grabhitch back to home. If u grab a job from Harbourfront or Orchard area, you will also need to pay for parking - which will eat further into your margin

Last edited:

yuppieboy

Reaction score
For car drivers using lalamove, it is not worth it to do part time cos even if you manage to clinch the car jobs, the return trip will probably be empty. Before **, u can at least grabhitch back to home. If u grab a job from Harbourfront or Orchard area, you will also need to pay for parking - which will eat further into your margin

I can’t agreed with you more. Many a times, when I gotten a order to faraway places, my return trips were empty and I ended up wasting time and petrol. So I try to limit myself to short distances deliveries within a particular zone (East).

Also, I realised some multi-noded (multi-stops) orders were not within close range but can be far apart in different zones and it’s really not worth the time and effort at all. So instead of taking multi-noded orders, which fares mostly CMI, you will be better off sticking to delivery to single and direct destination.

yuppieboy

Reaction score
For honest pickupp review .

The adhoc order i will avoid for now.The price is not reasonable at all.I nearly puke blood at some of the price listed.

I only aim for their bundled orders.Payout is $3.75 /$3 nett after 20% . Cut off time to finish is 10pm.........................

Yes !! the prices of adhoc orders are not reasonable at all, more so if you happened to pick up a bike order. Multi-stops orders should also be avoided too as it is really a waste of time and effort for that miserable fees, better off sticking to single destination deliveries instead.

Also, getting Bundle orders is the way to go too as you can plan out your route efficiently.

Last edited:

Freakerzz

Reaction score
I can’t agreed with you more. Many a times, when I gotten a order to faraway places, my return trips were empty and I ended up wasting time and petrol. So I try to limit myself to short distances deliveries within a particular zone (East).

Also, I realised some multi-noded (multi-stops) orders were not within close range but can be far apart in different zones and it’s really not worth the time and effort at all. So instead of taking multi-noded orders, which fares mostly CMI, you will be better off sticking to delivery to single and direct destination.

Ahh i see..i assume u camp for orders around katong ,geylang,ubi and paya lebar area ?

Im not a PHV driver ..so basically no additional income to supplement lala orders.
I have spoken to some PHV drivers,they will aim for lala or bike orders concurrently with grabfood multi stack orders.

So customer who order grab food and wonder why the order seems to come quite late,this is the reason why .

Freakerzz

Reaction score
Yes !! the prices of adhoc orders are not reasonable at all, more so if you happened to pick up a bike order. Multi-stops orders should also be avoided too as it is really a waste of time and effort for that miserable fees, better off sticking to single destination deliveries instead.

Also, getting Bundle orders is the way to go too as you can plan out your route efficiently.

Pickupp bundle jobs are rare ..
Need to refresh the app from 8pm onwards.According to the warehouse peeps,bundle order out ard 11pm and rare occasion ard 1030am-12noon

Camp on my hp from 8pm-1130pm no orders seen.
Today woke up camp on my hp from 1030am-1130am still no picture.

yuppieboy

Reaction score
Ahh i see..i assume u camp for orders around katong ,geylang,ubi and paya lebar area ?

Im not a PHV driver ..so basically no additional income to supplement lala orders.
I have spoken to some PHV drivers,they will aim for lala or bike orders concurrently with grabfood multi stack orders.

So customer who order grab food and wonder why the order seems to come quite late,this is the reason why .

Yes, for the month of MAY, I did on many occasions camped for job orders in the evenings between 8-11pm. Sometimes in the mornings between 7-10am. It wasn’t easy to be able to get the job orders I wanted though.

It was really tough for me and I do sympathise those who had to work hard this way to earn a living. There should be better alternatives out there where good companies would really look after the welfare of the employees for win-win partnerships.

As for now, I will take it easy to pick 2 or 3 orders on alternate days just to earn me enough to fill my stomach and petrol for my car.

Last edited:

TeksiLao

Reaction score

Very true.

I only joined Lala in March this year, heng because Hitch/Ryde all got shut down.

Thankfully my home area has quite a few car orders (lunch/dinner and some industrial). I’m working from home so my Lala app is online on my constantly charging secondary phone to screen for $15-17 car orders. These orders will go very quickly, so I’m sometimes cursing because too slow to accept. But these orders are good for me to get out of the house for a bit and get some kopi.

If not doing Lala then I stay home lor. But otherwise most of my trips are $12.60-$14.28 after commission, 0-6km for each trip. So it’s quite worthwhile. Logged about $1.5k on 118 orders and petrol about $300 during the 2 months of **?

Mother’s Day was a killer. Wait 40+ min for one lunch order and 40+ min for one dinner order. Good thing I wasn’t taking a second order, but getting through to customer service just to tack on a $6 late fee was terrible. Plus you can’t end trip to take a new “Go Pick Up Now” trip, so you’re basically stuck if you want to get the late fee...

But yeah, I agree. Lala isn’t really good for fulltimers. It’s good for doing 顺路 trips, bikes still pay better than Hitch (slightly!) on long distance. And also a higher chance of getting tips than on Hitch 😂 The other day I delivered a PC on a $16 car trip (cash) and the guy gave me $20 👍🏽👍🏽

TeksiLao

Reaction score

True. That’s why during dinner rush all those Lala restaurant orders from Killiney/Orchard/Marina/Harbourfront all nobody touch 😂

Freakerzz

Reaction score
True. That’s why during dinner rush all those Lala restaurant orders from Killiney/Orchard/Marina/Harbourfront all nobody touch 😂

Marina square no grace period for sat but fri do.
Marina bay link has grace period all week
Marina bay link #01-#02 pick up can park at the drop off and make a quick dash inside ,the guards are quite lenient during this period.
Marina one has free parking 11-3 6-11 on most day
Guoco tower area pick up park at open air carpark 20mins grace period .
Vivo fri sat no grace period
Orchard area
Orchard central has grace period all week
313 usually park at open carpark 20min grace period
Mandarin hotel pick up can park at the drop off point
Shaw tower has grace period.

I usually pick up from shophouses in town area and avoid shopping malls especially

Ps ,ion ,wisma,taka,paragon and lucky plaza.

My base area around tanjong pagar very rare receive orchard area unless im at tiong bahru or robertson quay area.

Thats from my experience .Anyone can share their experience ?

TeksiLao

Reaction score
Marina square no grace period for sat but fri do.
Marina bay link has grace period all week
Marina bay link #01-#02 pick up can park at the drop off and make a quick dash inside ,the guards are quite lenient during this period.
Marina one has free parking 11-3 6-11 on most day
Guoco tower area pick up park at open air carpark 20mins grace period .
Vivo fri sat no grace period
Orchard area
Orchard central has grace period all week
313 usually park at open carpark 20min grace period
Mandarin hotel pick up can park at the drop off point
Shaw tower has grace period.

I usually pick up from shophouses in town area and avoid shopping malls especially

Ps ,ion ,wisma,taka,paragon and lucky plaza.

My base area around tanjong pagar very rare receive orchard area unless im at tiong bahru or robertson quay area.

Thats from my experience .Anyone can share their experience ?

Does Triple One Somerset still have first hour free parking?

Hating the crowds coming back... NEX crowds kills my grace period...

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.