www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Employment Office (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/employment-office-22/)
-   -   Anyone ever worked as a trainee CADD engineer/operator? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/employment-office-22/anyone-ever-worked-trainee-cadd-engineer-operator-3094351.html)

theking_smen 25-10-2012 05:16 PM

Hi everyone, I'm currently still contracted to aceplp. Didn't expected to find a thread on this... But my contract is almost finishing... Dunnoe weather to continure in this line of work? Anybody care to advise?

taleon99 25-10-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modagi (Post 70372221)
I know few people who worked in Aceplp before and some who are currently working there, non of them have anything good to say about Aceplp.
Sure they give trainings, in-house training, industrial attachment and many more. These trainings and attachments are not worth of 2 year bond with them. Most of these trainings can be done at local poly or ntuc for a cheaper amount.

When they say job posting, ppl have to remember that Aceplp is just sending you out on contract work. Most of these companies have no intention of hiring you once u finish your contract there. All u learn is how to use the software, 90% of the time you just follow ur superior's order, draw this and draw that. Very few ppl get the chance to learn the actual thing.

Lets talk about the pay, the basic salary they are paying for a fresh poly graduate is less than, what i got in 2005 as a fresh poly graduate.

Their Terms and Conditions are more complex than and starhub 2year contract. At any point if u break the bond for a variety of reasons you are liable to pay damages in the range of 10 thousands.

Conclusion : If you are a fresh poly graduate interested in engineering design, could not find work for the past 3 months, do not mind low pay, you can consider AcePLP.

PLEASE READ THEIR T&C CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING.

Chill mate! I receive profit-sharing allowance for each project and works out quite well. I read the T&C too, nothing wrong with it. Iím 1 year 3 months here and everything is good. I love my clients and projects I do.
When my sister signed up to be a teacher at MOE, her bond is 90k! Ace also a train-and-work contract, of course got minimum bond. You kicking up a big fussÖ

ngkyn87 30-10-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theking_smen (Post 70970056)
Hi everyone, I'm currently still contracted to aceplp. Didn't expected to find a thread on this... But my contract is almost finishing... Dunnoe weather to continure in this line of work? Anybody care to advise?

Hi! Hmm..by this line of work you mean drafting? Since your contract is almost up, maybe your exposure has already given you an idea if you truly like the work. For me, that was one thing I considered when I applied for the job. A second thing I considered is whether I will be able to springboard myself into a better/higher-ranking position in this industry.

Perhaps you could see if there are higher-ranking positions for you out there before you decide if you want to continue in this line of work? You could also ask aceplp if they could transfer you to a client? I was told that that's a gigantic possibility and that they would help to ensure that you would either get a better position and/or higher pay:)

theking_smen 30-10-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngkyn87 (Post 71100826)
Hi! Hmm..by this line of work you mean drafting? Since your contract is almost up, maybe your exposure has already given you an idea if you truly like the work. For me, that was one thing I considered when I applied for the job. A second thing I considered is whether I will be able to springboard myself into a better/higher-ranking position in this industry.

Perhaps you could see if there are higher-ranking positions for you out there before you decide if you want to continue in this line of work? You could also ask aceplp if they could transfer you to a client? I was told that that's a gigantic possibility and that they would help to ensure that you would either get a better position and/or higher pay:)

Hi, thanks for your reply... I did put some thought in this some time back already.. I dun mind doing drafting... I kinda like it... But i just think that I won't have what it takes to move up the ladder in this industry.. the long 6 days working week and the need to hussle back and forth constantly between the office and site is a big turn off for me... BTW I'm currently with a construction company... My current PM has already tried to persuade me to join them before... Still I'm in a limbo and are considering my options...

modagi 01-11-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppershadow1 (Post 70893512)
Such an idiot, THIS is the Ďactual thingí. donít you know that software skills are very important in this industry? When you are at work, you follow your superiorís order and thatís life! Then learn from mistakes or good things that your supevisror did. Youíre so dense no wonder you donít think youíve learnt anything. Stupid people never learn.

Im in a XXX company were there are about 10 aceplp employees.
Most of them are here more than 6 months, if u ask them what they have learned other than using the software, its a big "ZERO".
There are poly attachment students here, who know how to use the software.
My point is, besides using the software to do the same thing over and over again like a robot, they have no clue about what they are doing.

modagi 01-11-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theking_smen (Post 70970056)
Hi everyone, I'm currently still contracted to aceplp. Didn't expected to find a thread on this... But my contract is almost finishing... Dunnoe weather to continure in this line of work? Anybody care to advise?

It's ur future bro, u decide...

modagi 01-11-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taleon99 (Post 70971361)
Chill mate! I receive profit-sharing allowance for each project and works out quite well. I read the T&C too, nothing wrong with it. Iím 1 year 3 months here and everything is good. I love my clients and projects I do.
When my sister signed up to be a teacher at MOE, her bond is 90k! Ace also a train-and-work contract, of course got minimum bond. You kicking up a big fussÖ

Im chill mate and im not making a fuss. what i wrote are points to take note before joining the company.
These info. are from current and ex aceplp employees.

theking_smen 03-11-2012 10:36 AM

I agree with you... most of the basic things I learnt about the software with aceplp was insufficent to help me with my daily work.... I have to thank google and other CAD forums available online that helped me through my difficulties.... what I learned that was vaulable was the knowledge of the industry that i was in...
Quote:

Originally Posted by modagi (Post 71151566)
Im in a XXX company were there are about 10 aceplp employees.
Most of them are here more than 6 months, if u ask them what they have learned other than using the software, its a big "ZERO".
There are poly attachment students here, who know how to use the software.
My point is, besides using the software to do the same thing over and over again like a robot, they have no clue about what they are doing.


GrimaH 06-11-2012 04:28 PM

Ace simply serves as a drafter leasing and training agency (among other things). After you complete the training they'll lease you to companies who need drafters. That's all it is really; they don't babysit/groom you through the rest of your contract, and strictly speaking there's no reason they should.

ngkyn87 12-11-2012 11:04 AM

Hmm, but my senior there says that they do come back on and off for some refresher training and new software training sometimes!

theking_smen 12-11-2012 11:07 AM

Actually depends...

ngkyn87 12-11-2012 11:14 AM

That sounds a little intimidating to me...but right, school doesn't really prepare us for the real daily work too, and definitely doesn't teach us the necessary software.

At least from what I've heard, Ace actually keeps us updated on the latest software that the industry is leaning towards. I think that would really improve my employability. Wouldn't you think your employability improved after joining Ace?:s12:


Quote:

Originally Posted by theking_smen (Post 71197587)
I agree with you... most of the basic things I learnt about the software with aceplp was insufficent to help me with my daily work.... I have to thank google and other CAD forums available online that helped me through my difficulties.... what I learned that was vaulable was the knowledge of the industry that i was in...


theking_smen 12-11-2012 11:22 AM

I think it differs from case to case... Some of the Clients would expect more from us... because we are supposed to well trained in the software that we used... But for me, so far I haven been back to ace for any type of software training..
Quote:

Originally Posted by ngkyn87 (Post 71434358)
That sounds a little intimidating to me...but right, school doesn't really prepare us for the real daily work too, and definitely doesn't teach us the necessary software.

At least from what I've heard, Ace actually keeps us updated on the latest software that the industry is leaning towards. I think that would really improve my employability. Wouldn't you think your employability improved after joining Ace?:s12:


cadman 14-11-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimaH (Post 71286675)
Ace simply serves as a drafter leasing and training agency (among other things). After you complete the training they'll lease you to companies who need drafters. That's all it is really; they don't babysit/groom you through the rest of your contract, and strictly speaking there's no reason they should.

we also do Building Information Modelling for clients, constructing 3d model of building and database using revit (BIM software by autodesk). on assignment we are embedded in client design teams to provide services under aceplp. its a common working model for professional service companies actually. as an employee you will learnt quite a bit when going around on assignments.

cadman 14-11-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theking_smen (Post 71197587)
I agree with you... most of the basic things I learnt about the software with aceplp was insufficent to help me with my daily work.... I have to thank google and other CAD forums available online that helped me through my difficulties.... what I learned that was vaulable was the knowledge of the industry that i was in...

that's right, and to be fair aceplp cant possibly teach us everything. practically speaking thats what the working world is like, to survive you just have to keep learning new things. i find whats best about this training program is that it increases our exposure to the industry. just keep up strong learning spirit and be resourceful when it comes to challenges. i also google and look at other cad forums just like you! thats the way to go.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.