HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone ever worked as a trainee CADD engineer/operator?

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #91

Hi everyone, I'm currently still contracted to aceplp. Didn't expected to find a thread on this... But my contract is almost finishing... Dunnoe weather to continure in this line of work? Anybody care to advise?
ngkyn87 likes this.
theking_smen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #92

I know few people who worked in Aceplp before and some who are currently working there, non of them have anything good to say about Aceplp.
Sure they give trainings, in-house training, industrial attachment and many more. These trainings and attachments are not worth of 2 year bond with them. Most of these trainings can be done at local poly or ntuc for a cheaper amount.

When they say job posting, ppl have to remember that Aceplp is just sending you out on contract work. Most of these companies have no intention of hiring you once u finish your contract there. All u learn is how to use the software, 90% of the time you just follow ur superior's order, draw this and draw that. Very few ppl get the chance to learn the actual thing.

Lets talk about the pay, the basic salary they are paying for a fresh poly graduate is less than, what i got in 2005 as a fresh poly graduate.

Their Terms and Conditions are more complex than and starhub 2year contract. At any point if u break the bond for a variety of reasons you are liable to pay damages in the range of 10 thousands.

Conclusion : If you are a fresh poly graduate interested in engineering design, could not find work for the past 3 months, do not mind low pay, you can consider AcePLP.

PLEASE READ THEIR T&C CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING.
Chill mate! I receive profit-sharing allowance for each project and works out quite well. I read the T&C too, nothing wrong with it. I’m 1 year 3 months here and everything is good. I love my clients and projects I do.
When my sister signed up to be a teacher at MOE, her bond is 90k! Ace also a train-and-work contract, of course got minimum bond. You kicking up a big fuss…
taleon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #93

Hi everyone, I'm currently still contracted to aceplp. Didn't expected to find a thread on this... But my contract is almost finishing... Dunnoe weather to continure in this line of work? Anybody care to advise?
Hi! Hmm..by this line of work you mean drafting? Since your contract is almost up, maybe your exposure has already given you an idea if you truly like the work. For me, that was one thing I considered when I applied for the job. A second thing I considered is whether I will be able to springboard myself into a better/higher-ranking position in this industry.

Perhaps you could see if there are higher-ranking positions for you out there before you decide if you want to continue in this line of work? You could also ask aceplp if they could transfer you to a client? I was told that that's a gigantic possibility and that they would help to ensure that you would either get a better position and/or higher pay
ngkyn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #94

Hi! Hmm..by this line of work you mean drafting? Since your contract is almost up, maybe your exposure has already given you an idea if you truly like the work. For me, that was one thing I considered when I applied for the job. A second thing I considered is whether I will be able to springboard myself into a better/higher-ranking position in this industry.

Perhaps you could see if there are higher-ranking positions for you out there before you decide if you want to continue in this line of work? You could also ask aceplp if they could transfer you to a client? I was told that that's a gigantic possibility and that they would help to ensure that you would either get a better position and/or higher pay
Hi, thanks for your reply... I did put some thought in this some time back already.. I dun mind doing drafting... I kinda like it... But i just think that I won't have what it takes to move up the ladder in this industry.. the long 6 days working week and the need to hussle back and forth constantly between the office and site is a big turn off for me... BTW I'm currently with a construction company... My current PM has already tried to persuade me to join them before... Still I'm in a limbo and are considering my options...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #95

Such an idiot, THIS is the ‘actual thing’. don’t you know that software skills are very important in this industry? When you are at work, you follow your superior’s order and that’s life! Then learn from mistakes or good things that your supevisror did. You’re so dense no wonder you don’t think you’ve learnt anything. Stupid people never learn.
Im in a XXX company were there are about 10 aceplp employees.
Most of them are here more than 6 months, if u ask them what they have learned other than using the software, its a big "ZERO".
There are poly attachment students here, who know how to use the software.
My point is, besides using the software to do the same thing over and over again like a robot, they have no clue about what they are doing.
modagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #96

It's ur future bro, u decide...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #97

Chill mate! I receive profit-sharing allowance for each project and works out quite well. I read the T&C too, nothing wrong with it. I’m 1 year 3 months here and everything is good. I love my clients and projects I do.
When my sister signed up to be a teacher at MOE, her bond is 90k! Ace also a train-and-work contract, of course got minimum bond. You kicking up a big fuss…
Im chill mate and im not making a fuss. what i wrote are points to take note before joining the company.
These info. are from current and ex aceplp employees.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #98

I agree with you... most of the basic things I learnt about the software with aceplp was insufficent to help me with my daily work.... I have to thank google and other CAD forums available online that helped me through my difficulties.... what I learned that was vaulable was the knowledge of the industry that i was in...
Im in a XXX company were there are about 10 aceplp employees.
Most of them are here more than 6 months, if u ask them what they have learned other than using the software, its a big "ZERO".
There are poly attachment students here, who know how to use the software.
My point is, besides using the software to do the same thing over and over again like a robot, they have no clue about what they are doing.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #99
Master Member

Ace simply serves as a drafter leasing and training agency (among other things). After you complete the training they'll lease you to companies who need drafters. That's all it is really; they don't babysit/groom you through the rest of your contract, and strictly speaking there's no reason they should.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #100

Hmm, but my senior there says that they do come back on and off for some refresher training and new software training sometimes!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #101

Actually depends...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #102

That sounds a little intimidating to me...but right, school doesn't really prepare us for the real daily work too, and definitely doesn't teach us the necessary software.

At least from what I've heard, Ace actually keeps us updated on the latest software that the industry is leaning towards. I think that would really improve my employability. Wouldn't you think your employability improved after joining Ace?

I agree with you... most of the basic things I learnt about the software with aceplp was insufficent to help me with my daily work.... I have to thank google and other CAD forums available online that helped me through my difficulties.... what I learned that was vaulable was the knowledge of the industry that i was in...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #103

I think it differs from case to case... Some of the Clients would expect more from us... because we are supposed to well trained in the software that we used... But for me, so far I haven been back to ace for any type of software training..
That sounds a little intimidating to me...but right, school doesn't really prepare us for the real daily work too, and definitely doesn't teach us the necessary software.

At least from what I've heard, Ace actually keeps us updated on the latest software that the industry is leaning towards. I think that would really improve my employability. Wouldn't you think your employability improved after joining Ace?
Old 14-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #104

Ace simply serves as a drafter leasing and training agency (among other things). After you complete the training they'll lease you to companies who need drafters. That's all it is really; they don't babysit/groom you through the rest of your contract, and strictly speaking there's no reason they should.
we also do Building Information Modelling for clients, constructing 3d model of building and database using revit (BIM software by autodesk). on assignment we are embedded in client design teams to provide services under aceplp. its a common working model for professional service companies actually. as an employee you will learnt quite a bit when going around on assignments.
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #105

that's right, and to be fair aceplp cant possibly teach us everything. practically speaking thats what the working world is like, to survive you just have to keep learning new things. i find whats best about this training program is that it increases our exposure to the industry. just keep up strong learning spirit and be resourceful when it comes to challenges. i also google and look at other cad forums just like you! thats the way to go.
cadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.