Anyone ever worked as a trainee CADD engineer/operator?

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
Been looking around for jobs but I have this itch to do CAD stuff , I did some very basic measurement and final design drawings using Sketchup at my last job and I liked it alot.

So has anyone worked as a trainee before? What's it like? I saw a job offering to be a trainee , says its a 2 year contract thing, I will be trained in real life scenarios and I think it's a 16mth(?) attachment as well , at the end of 2 years , I might have a chance to be signed as a permanent staff at the attachment company.(no guarantees I think)

Need some advice, since I have a dip in business , which is totally not related and my CADD experience(1 mth of sketchup and some AutoCAD, laughable) is purely self taught.

Game90

Reaction score
i think i saw that job posting somewhere before... was interested in it too...need advice

Game90

Reaction score
yeah its aceplp. hopefully someone with experience in this job could advise before i consider applying...

juliusjam

Reaction score
hi there, have you applied? I saw the ad for this as well. thought of applying for it. just unsure of my skills in autocad itself

cracktheegg

Reaction score
I also interested in CAD, i got learn autocad solidworks mastercam and ap100, mts. I do solidwork for 3 years, the rest just learn the basic.

jyakku

Reaction score
Exactly. All company is meant for business profiting. Just that aceplp tops the rank as modern slavery agent targeting fresh grads who know nothing about the hard truth of working world, squeezing them to the max for profit.

The description of job offer in ads is significantly different from actual training and job scope. Instead of 3 months training, you are only being trained officially and systematically for a month before you are attached out for so-called 2-months industrial training. In fact, you, regardless as trainee operator/drafter/engineer, are ready to be "rent out" as draftman to perform drafting work for clients at the cost ranging from S$3k-4k+ per month for the remaining 23 months of 2 years contract.

You may join this company unless you can get any better decent job to finance your living. Think thrice.

FerreroForte

Reaction score
Exactly. All company is meant for business profiting. Just that aceplp tops the rank as modern slavery agent targeting fresh grads who know nothing about the hard truth of working world, squeezing them to the max for profit.

The description of job offer in ads is significantly different from actual training and job scope. Instead of 3 months training, you are only being trained officially and systematically for a month before you are attached out for so-called 2-months industrial training. In fact, you, regardless as trainee operator/drafter/engineer, are ready to be "rent out" as draftman to perform drafting work for clients at the cost ranging from S$3k-4k+ per month for the remaining 23 months of 2 years contract.

You may join this company unless you can get any better decent job to finance your living. Think thrice.

I dun tink so… I waz fresh enginering deg grad and nw wrking at mnc cuz of de 2 yrs training n exp i got while wrking in aceplp as traineee cad enginr. as fr as I knw dis company is the only one tt offers such packge. Whr else r u goin gt the relevant exp n skills frm? de REAL EXP comes frm wrking directly w de clients, in fact I wrked wif abt 4 companys n learn tt some of thm SUCK n i NEVER wanna wrk thre aft i grad frm aceplp 2-yr prog. I wuld nv knw this UNLESS I was a jobhopper. Nw that I hv grad frm de 2-yr prog, I can fnd a gd decent job to finance my living. Stp tinking de wrld is against u, dun be so naive!!!

danieltan2881

Reaction score
Been looking around for jobs but I have this itch to do CAD stuff , I did some very basic measurement and final design drawings using Sketchup at my last job and I liked it alot.

So has anyone worked as a trainee before? What's it like? I saw a job offering to be a trainee , says its a 2 year contract thing, I will be trained in real life scenarios and I think it's a 16mth(?) attachment as well , at the end of 2 years , I might have a chance to be signed as a permanent staff at the attachment company.(no guarantees I think)

Need some advice, since I have a dip in business , which is totally not related and my CADD experience(1 mth of sketchup and some AutoCAD, laughable) is purely self taught.
i'm an engineering diploma holder and currently still working at aceplp and about to complete the 2 yrs programme. i am expecting my bonus and now about to look for a new job. the line manager is still negotiating for my next potential employer's terms and conditions.

my training was in total 2 months inclusive of 1 month of theory and 1 month of internal ojt. my colleagues hve diff training period as some learn faster some are slower. its not bad, i learnt a lot after working at 6 diff companies.

Last edited:

peppershadow1

Reaction score
I dun tink so… I waz fresh enginering deg grad and nw wrking at mnc cuz of de 2 yrs training n exp i got while wrking in aceplp as traineee cad enginr. as fr as I knw dis company is the only one tt offers such packge. Whr else r u goin gt the relevant exp n skills frm? de REAL EXP comes frm wrking directly w de clients, in fact I wrked wif abt 4 companys n learn tt some of thm SUCK n i NEVER wanna wrk thre aft i grad frm aceplp 2-yr prog. I wuld nv knw this UNLESS I was a jobhopper. Nw that I hv grad frm de 2-yr prog, I can fnd a gd decent job to finance my living. Stp tinking de wrld is against u, dun be so naive!!!
I study Precision Engineering in ITE years back and actually work in F&B industry for the past 5 years (can't find jobs in engineering firm)...
I join aceplp since 2010, i find this company v weird as they provide free training & with salary...
It took me 4 months to be successfully attached to a company as i know nuts about drafting works hahaha... currently, i am working in a MRT project and really thankful to the trainers that came to the site office and guide me whenever i face diffcultites but sometimes get scolded by them...damn...Lol...

kerinlin

Reaction score
hi there, have you applied? I saw the ad for this as well. thought of applying for it. just unsure of my skills in autocad itself

Very familiar… think my sister first joined this company. Training and working… something along this line. She has left now and is doing very well. quite happy… good career in some architect firm. Still doing something related to design.

jyakku

Reaction score

When on earth is the world against me? What I know this company is exploiting my fren. He told me several bad experiences of other colleagues as well who have been duped into working for this company for at least 2 years. I am glad to hear that you are able to utilize your time with this company as a stepping stone for your career growth. Others may not.

Their chief trainer resigned for better job and apparently they even promote trainee as trainer who is even junior than my fren. Why can't they get a qualified or experienced trainer? I bet trainer's salary is also at the lowest side like my fren; that best explains why no one is willing to be trainer for this company. What a joke!

Don't be so naive that this is not the only company with such job package. Others like Cadskill may have better package than this.

Last edited:

didi29

Reaction score
i'm an engineering diploma holder and currently still working at aceplp and about to complete the 2 yrs programme. i am expecting my bonus and now about to look for a new job. the line manager is still negotiating for my next potential employer's terms and conditions.

my training was in total 2 months inclusive of 1 month of theory and 1 month of internal ojt. my colleagues hve diff training period as some learn faster some are slower. its not bad, i learnt a lot after working at 6 diff companies.
im happy for those who are finishing your 2 years and are looking forward to your bonus, i doubt that they will give you bonus.
if anyone really interested to join them, go for an interview, they will also ask you to do a test, even you don't know how to do, dun worry they will still want you, cos we are their money making tool,
my biggest regret is i didnt ask the ppl around working at the company and end up regretted, to me i have board onto the pirate ship, feel free to ask those ppl working there, they will happily tell you whether is it woth to join.. just my two cent worth.

justice_light

Reaction score
I do agreed with jyakku & didi29.
The training they provide to trainees are so basic
that u can learn from any CAD books which u can find
in the library. As long as u finish up the basic autocad
and microstation trainning..( can be within a month or 2)
u will be really to be sell as a skillful cad engineers to customers
( as what they claim on-the job -trainning). But when u
unable to produce what the customers want due to lack
of experience then they will ask for replacement. ( that mean u r
rejected and sent back to office) although due to insufficient training
but the boss scold u for not put in effort in your job.
They are more to say.. :(
Especially the Contract.. word with in word to trap careless ppl in.
Even MOM cannot do anything. :s16:

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
I have not checked this thread in a while but nice replies... i guess.

I have since learned AutoCAD on my own from videos available on the web, got the basic 2D stuff and landed a job as a draftsman.

Pay is meh... but I guess it's fine since I have zero experience and it's real OTJ learning. Now I'm more familiar with ACAD, Blocks, Fields etc.

Still have a lot to learn but I'm moving into 3D now.

FerreroForte

Reaction score
When on earth is the world against me? What I know this company is exploiting my fren. He told me several bad experiences of other colleagues as well who have been duped into working for this company for at least 2 years. I am glad to hear that you are able to utilize your time with this company as a stepping stone for your career growth. Others may not.

Their chief trainer resigned for better job and apparently they even promote trainee as trainer who is even junior than my fren. Why can't they get a qualified or experienced trainer? I bet trainer's salary is also at the lowest side like my fren; that best explains why no one is willing to be trainer for this company. What a joke!

Don't be so naive that this is not the only company with such job package. Others like Cadskill may have better package than this.

chey, u talk whole day in de end is ur fren ah? where ur credible??? :s8:

anywy if i can use dis aceplp as stepping stne den how cum ur fren cannot??

im happy where i m now, i dun tink i got a bad deal frm aceplp at all. in de end is reallly how u mk use of the oppotunitys tt r given to u........ tts why sum ppl r more success then other in de end........ :D

kerinlin

Reaction score
im happy for those who are finishing your 2 years and are looking forward to your bonus, i doubt that they will give you bonus.

Interesting cuz what you said is not the same as my sister... she received her performance bonus, M/C no claim bonus and share of transfer fees pay. She told me it was aceplp. Could it be that your work performance is not good?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.