HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Being unpaid when you work for tutoring agencies etc.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #16

Just to have my share experience, mom didnt pay for 1 mth plus after last day of lesson.

they come from well to do family however family problem (i.e. divorce).

working in matrimonial cases before, i noe judges will "delegate" the sum of money for the child expenses.

sum owe is $180 for 4 lessons.

the funny thing is, only after repeatedly smsing the mom (1 mth plus), she did eventually said her ex-husband havent paid her for the fees yet. wateva truth it is..cmmon lah its only 180 wat...its not tat u are not rich...wtfs rite..
Old 30-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #17

Just to have my share experience, mom didnt pay for 1 mth plus after last day of lesson.

they come from well to do family however family problem (i.e. divorce).

working in matrimonial cases before, i noe judges will "delegate" the sum of money for the child expenses.

sum owe is $180 for 4 lessons.

the funny thing is, only after repeatedly smsing the mom (1 mth plus), she did eventually said her ex-husband havent paid her for the fees yet. wateva truth it is..cmmon lah its only 180 wat...its not tat u are not rich...wtfs rite..
So did they pay you in the end?
elderflowertea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #18

Good to ask them pay as you go like my case. Easier. Less complications.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #19

So did they pay you in the end?
Yeah i hope they did..
nash14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #20

Some parents are one-kind.
There was this mother who said that her son (Sec 5) was very "particular" abt teachers/ tutors, and so could we just try out for one lesson first. I told her to pay for one lesson and she said ok. When she dropped off her son here, I asked her whether she had left the $ with him, she said yah.
At end of lesson, son said his mum had not given him the $, but had said to pay at subsequent lesson (if any, obviously !!). The boy then left to take the bus home.
I rang the mum to check and she made some excuse that she had hurried here and didn't have time to get the $ (but helloo, she had indicated in the affirmative when asked abt the money!!)
In the next 24 hrs she sms & rang me abt a dozen times..apparently her son had told her he was "looking forward" to my lessons.
I decided not to tutor her son!
121tuition likes this.
ahnyaahnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #21

121 Tuition

No worries, our tuition center is a registered company in Singapore. Check it out in the forum thread under 121 Tuition.(:
121tuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #22

Hello all, just to clear my doubts here.

If a company delayed too long (> 1 month) in paying salary, where can I go to lodge report? CASE? Small claims tribunal?

Thanks.

Last edited by suangern; 11-06-2012 at 07:46 PM..
suangern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #23

quick question: what do you think of submitting copies of academic certificates to tuition agencies? any qualms about this practice?

I'm a tutor myself. Many tuition agencies require me to submit acad certs so they can better mix and match our capabilities to students' requirement. But of course, there are also agencies who do not require you to submit. So if you feels uncomfortable, then look for the next agency who do not require you to submit them!
Cheers!
maychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #24

quick question: what do you think of submitting copies of academic certificates to tuition agencies? any qualms about this practice?
It's quite a common practice nowadays for Tuition Agencies to ask for Tutors' qualifications to verify that they indeed have the qualifications which tutors claimed to have when they first sign up for tuition assignments. It's akin to applying for jobs when a job applicant submits these papers to a job agency during job hunting.

This process is a win-win-win for all parties; Parents / Students who had stipulated the tutor qualifications required, Agency who can verify that they are delivering Tutor who met these requirements and of course for Tutors who know they landed onto the tuition assignments without the Tuition Agency boasting about the Tutors' credentials.

One would and should be more concern if there's any tuition agency which promises to match tutors with tuition assignments without first asking to verify their qualifications. From other perspective, these agencies are running risks to recommend a candidate to their client whom they have no assurance that the tutor candidate's qualifications are genuine. It speaks much about how trustworthy such tuition agency is and if you should even be part of their business.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #25

Smile Choosing the right tuition agency in Singapore

Dear HWZ Readers,

I came across this thread and decided to point out something for our fellow tutors out there looking for the right tuition agency. To prevent fraud or complications, choose a credible tuition agency by looking out for this.

Is the tuition agency a registered company? By law, tuition agencies in Singapore has to be an official registered business, and are required to display the "business registration number" on their website. For instance, scroll to the bottom of SMILETutor - SMILETutor - Home Tuition Agency in Singapore | Tuition Centre and you will see something like "SMILETutor Reg No. T14LL0930H".

Tuition agencies without this code are operating ILLEGALLY. Do not engage their services!

Regards,
Rum (Tuition Coordinator from SMILETutor)
findhometuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #26

Hi u got consider working as a financial consultant to earn more?
Bright^Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #27

Quite sad to hear such ppl still exist. Bad karma
remembrance likes this.
Richyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #28

Thumbs up

Nowadays got so many tuition agencies to choose from! I registered for so many agencies as a tutor and only a few got back to me. Most of them require credentials check before assigning an assignment to me.

I hate the 50% first month fee though. I think it is abit too much. Recently, I got "matched" by this agency called "Intelligami" and they offered 25% of the first month fee. Can check out here: intelligami.com. Not bad, when compared to the rest of the agencies. Quite okay I think, I got a sec 2 student from them just last week. Teaching mathematics. Time to polish up on my sums liao hahaha.
remembrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #29

Have to keep a log of the sessions conducted and make sure student and agency side is aware.. Otherwise may have misunderstanding too..
onitsuka_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #30

We need Home Tutors!

We have many tuition assignments available islandwide that require home tutors and ex/current school teachers. Pre-school, Primary, Secondary, A-Level, IP, IGCSE, CIE, CSE, IB, Music & Languages. Registration is free.

Please register online at http://www.tutorcity.com.sg/tutor/join.php

Or you can email to admin@tutorcity.com.sg with the following information:

Full name:
Race:
NRIC / FIN:
Handphone No:
Email:
Full Address:
Highest Qualification & Institution:
Your O level grades:
YourA level grades:
Expected rates per hour:

Region you teach (select all those applicable): Central / North / South / East / Northeast / North / Northwest / West
Category (select one): Part-time tutor / Full-time tutor / School Teacher (MOE) / Ex-school teacher (MOE) / NIE Trainee

Years of experience:
Provide a short description of your tutoring experience, your achievements, improvement your tutees showed etc:
List out the subjects you teach in each level:
Preschool -
Primary -
Secondary -
JC-
Music-
Diploma or Degree

Tutor City
Singapores No. 1 choice for Home & Corporate Tutoring Services
tcity123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.