HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Career help 30s

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Career help 30s

Hi bro and sis in this forum, I am in need of suggestion as my time is running up and I need to make a decision by this week in regards to my career long-term plan as I have currently enrolled myself in 2 courses, 1 is a part time double major in cyber forensic and information system degree in kaplan and another is a graduate diploma in HR in SHRI. These courses will commence in January and I need to choose 1 out of these 2 courses.

I am 29 this year and will be 30 in 2020. My current background is mostly in supply chain role with my current role as a purchaser in a medical manufacturing mnc after graduating from a degree in logistic and supply chain. I feel like my career is very blur and I don't see future prospect in my company and even if I change job.

The part time degree that I am taking with kaplan on the double major in cyber forensic and information system degree in kaplan will last 2 years while the graduate diploma in HR will last 6 months.

Based on my age in the early 30s for a career switch after I completed my course, which will be more easy to enter and benefit me more in the long run? IT security or HR? As I have narrowed down these are the only field that I am keen to enter.

Any constructive feedback and suggestion are highly appreciated.

Thanks!
coldyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #2

The Kaplan degree will most likely give you an overview of the industry only. Cyber Security field in SG is a notably hard sector to join in SG - unless you are changing from IT sector / poached over / know people in the industry.

Cyber security also has alot of fields, what are you looking at? (Infra, software, cloud, red team?)
Without a foundation background in IT / Security - it's very hard to be hands on immediately but many jobs require plug and play people.

This approach is a long term investment.
Have to start low and work up instead.

Can't say much for HR cause I'm not in that sector.
Fluffybearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #3

The Kaplan degree will most likely give you an overview of the industry only. Cyber Security field in SG is a notably hard sector to join in SG - unless you are changing from IT sector / poached over / know people in the industry.

Cyber security also has alot of fields, what are you looking at? (Infra, software, cloud, red team?)
Without a foundation background in IT / Security - it's very hard to be hands on immediately but many jobs require plug and play people.

This approach is a long term investment.
Have to start low and work up instead.

Can't say much for HR cause I'm not in that sector.
Thank you so much for your reply, I was thinking of SOC analyst for starter. Do you think its hard to get in after getting the degree?
Old 02-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #4

Hi, any advise??? 😁
Old 02-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #5

i think you could research and google around the jobs forums / offering site that many cyber security jobs do require atleast 2-3 years of IT background - be it engineer or developer based.

For a fresh grad, with Kaplan degree - no i doubt so that it is easy.
Even project admin / co-ord needs a degree in this field.

SOC Analyst - do require exp.
Why not aim somewhere more baselined like Developer, SOC/NOC Engineer or Business Analyst first?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #6

Try posting this question in the Education forum, maybe people there are more helpful.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #7

it's gonna sound lame at your age, but have you considered internship?

reason being, you'll likely have to take a pay cut anyway with no experience, and even if you're willing to take a substantial paycut, you might not get an interview.

having an internship gives you an opportunity to show your face to management and showcase your commitment. it will also give you some opportunity to network in the industry.

just my $0.02
zerotoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #8

it's gonna sound lame at your age, but have you considered internship?

reason being, you'll likely have to take a pay cut anyway with no experience, and even if you're willing to take a substantial paycut, you might not get an interview.

having an internship gives you an opportunity to show your face to management and showcase your commitment. it will also give you some opportunity to network in the industry.

just my $0.02
Where can i find internship?

i think you could research and google around the jobs forums / offering site that many cyber security jobs do require atleast 2-3 years of IT background - be it engineer or developer based.

For a fresh grad, with Kaplan degree - no i doubt so that it is easy.
Even project admin / co-ord needs a degree in this field.

SOC Analyst - do require exp.
Why not aim somewhere more baselined like Developer, SOC/NOC Engineer or Business Analyst first?
Thank you so much for your reply, I was thinking of SOC analyst for starter. Do you think its hard to get in after getting the degree?
Hmm even SOC/NOC Engineer and Analyst needs experience from what I gather in jobstreet, so I guess even if I get the degree, my chances of landing in such a role is close to 0%😭, I guess I need to go for HR then.....
Old 02-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi ts, can also try post your queries over the link below to get help and advice regarding jobs.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...a-6095763.html
virus1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #10

Hmm even SOC/NOC Engineer and Analyst needs experience from what I gather in jobstreet, so I guess even if I get the degree, my chances of landing in such a role is close to 0%😭, I guess I need to go for HR then.....[/QUOTE]

Actually... i think HR unless u work from bottom also quite hard to get in?
Unless you wanna work recruiter.

Feels like a waste of ur experience up to now tbh
just my 0.02 also.

Is there no other route in your existing field?
Old 03-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #11

Hmm even SOC/NOC Engineer and Analyst needs experience from what I gather in jobstreet, so I guess even if I get the degree, my chances of landing in such a role is close to 0%😭, I guess I need to go for HR then.....

Actually... i think HR unless u work from bottom also quite hard to get in?
Unless you wanna work recruiter.

Feels like a waste of ur experience up to now tbh
just my 0.02 also.

Is there no other route in your existing field?[/QUOTE]

Procurement branching out to other field is hard. I can't find any existing field.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #12

Procurement branching out to other field is hard. I can't find any existing field.[/QUOTE]

Ever considering trying project route not.
Project also do procurement de too.
Project admin also can. Ur background will suit
Old 03-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #13

OK lah, good move too although in SG tech is not treated as well as overseas.

Anyway, tech line won't die as compared to some other lines even if doctor or stock-trader!

So many areas A.I take over liao!

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...cancer-signals

https://sg.yahoo.com/finance/news/wh...130024382.html
jansen chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:17 AM   #14

OK lah, good move too although in SG tech is not treated as well as overseas.

Anyway, tech line won't die as compared to some other lines even if doctor or stock-trader!

So many areas A.I take over liao!
Yeah, but in the end I still decided not to go for a tech career. I feel it might be too late for me.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #15

IT security is the next big thing. HR moving towards more of partnership rather than doing administrative/transaction work. Where does ur passion lie?
snowblaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.