HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is it difficult to be an engineer in Singapore?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

Is it difficult to be an engineer in Singapore?

I came across this STJobs article that talked about how engineering was losing its appeal to Singaporeans, and it lamented the fact that today we've got lots of vacancies but not enough (local) talent to fill these spots. Something must have happened to have led to this. My thoughts on this:

1. Influx of foreign talent. It's an argument I've heard more than once now, that engineers from India and China are taking up spots in SG.

2. Yet at the same time, a lot more (young) people lean more towards banking and finance now. There is something shiny and cool about being in finance, I suppose? The above article also mentioned the image of engineers in Singapore is a boring, laborious, and soul-killing thing. I don't know how true that is.

3. Does it also have to do with remuneration? Are we not getting paid enough for us to want to take on engineering roles in today's market?

Anything helps. Thanks all!
gridironhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
Master Member

When I was a student I always thought it was easier for engineers to secure jobs at companies like siemens or schneider electric since there will always be a need for engineers. If engineers were in demand, that would be the case right?

But I also have friends from Biomedical Engineering, who haven't been able to find any permanent jobs yet so

Biomedical Engineering is the hype which government advocate that it will bring good career and atas feel, ultimately all my friends went to business banking or finance instead of what they graduate from

sad career advice from poly
Supersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #3

Its just an execuse for tjem to bring in more foreign thrash to take over yiur rice bowl.
cz287cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.