HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Getting a job out of Singapore?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #1

Getting a job out of Singapore?

Personally, I am thinking of gaining more exposure and experiences with the thought of working in another country (as I have never stayed out of SG before) - which may also help to boost my resume. However, I don't really know how it works as none of my friends have done it and there are many other factors to consider i.e. rental, job application (don't even know if its possible to get one) etc. Feels like its more common to see company sending their employees overseas to work instead.

Singaporeans that have went overseas for employment do you usually do it by sourcing for employment on your own or itís usually when you held certain managerial role with sufficient work experiences and company send you overseas to aid operations there?
jenjen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #2

Background: 4-5 years of working experience
Industry: Finance
Countries I want to work in: US, Japan

I also wanted to work overseas, and have reached out to several international job agencies. And I have recruiters who set up interviews and tell me that it will be difficult to obtain a work visa. Hence my strategy is to take a 1 year masters in the US and then will be able to intern and work subjected to interview performance la. Easier to get a working visa when converting from a student visa.

The salaries overseas are also higher in countries like Australia, HK, US, for the same type of role.
9eptember18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 03:54 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Background: 4-5 years of working experience
Industry: Finance
Countries I want to work in: US, Japan

I also wanted to work overseas, and have reached out to several international job agencies. And I have recruiters who set up interviews and tell me that it will be difficult to obtain a work visa. Hence my strategy is to take a 1 year masters in the US and then will be able to intern and work subjected to interview performance la. Easier to get a working visa when converting from a student visa.

The salaries overseas are also higher in countries like Australia, HK, US, for the same type of role.

USA degree work in Japan, needs to speaks Japanese naturally.
work in USA with Masters and intern.. intern as CPT only during your summer.

best to read up on the below with regards to OPT and H1B. Just note there is a difference between H1B and H1B1. HWZ ppl treat them same but its really different since I doubt they have been through the process.
https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the...gible-students
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 11:36 PM   #4

USA degree work in Japan, needs to speaks Japanese naturally.
work in USA with Masters and intern.. intern as CPT only during your summer.

best to read up on the below with regards to OPT and H1B. Just note there is a difference between H1B and H1B1. HWZ ppl treat them same but its really different since I doubt they have been through the process.
https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the...gible-students
That's useful!
For Japan, it's because I learnt Japanese since sec 1 in MOELC, I attained JLPT N2. But it turns out it's not an advantage at all. I wanted to rant that when Sony went to NUS to recruit for an internship, they picked the guy Chemistry masters who doesn't know Japanese instead of an undergrad business student (me)... Dunno if they are sexist or look down on bachelor's students.
9eptember18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 11:49 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

If u female itís clear disadvantage in Japanese society even today.
Especially u going to a Japanese company.

Jap donít look down on ppl with just Bach, itís the reverse in fact.
Ppl who continue to higher degree are thought of traditionally as someone not ready for the real world.

Ang mo company there paid higher, no stability.
Japanese company may not pay more than what u get here in Singapore
The culture not everyone can accept

USA if you donít have STEM degree still can play with H1B1 till u land on H1B. Issue here is everything needs company sponsorship.
Legal fees company need to bear ranges from usd$5-20k.
With that some companies do not apply for your green card until u left with 1-2 years on your H1B. Green card for Singaporean at EB2 category is fast over last few years, only need to wait like a year to get.

Note ppl on H1 if kenna laid off today has 60 days to transfer or status goes illegal. For those unlucky ppl one has like 30-45 days to find a job, as blood test and background check takes 1-2 weeks. With that limited time most ppl I know end up returning. Usually Indian once they have H1 take up Canadian PR for insurance.

Monitor the development closely, this favor ppl working in NYC
https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/talent-acquisition/pages/uscis-replaces-h1b-lottery-with-salary-based-selection.aspx

Last edited by patryn33; 01-02-2021 at 10:19 PM..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.