HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[WTA] Planning Switzerland August!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #16

Wonder hows this iteniery with. 3 pax. 2 adults and a 7yrs old boy.

9days swiss and 3 days milan. Summer trip
I will also buy the swiss rail pass.

Day 1.
Reach zurich morning. Take train to lausanne
I reckon can sleep better on 2hrs train to lausanne than transit flight to geneva.
Fight the jetlag i say.
Rest a bit in lausanne.
Ferry ride to chilon. See see chateu chilon castle.

Day 2.
Day trip to berne and back to explore lausanne a little.

Day 3.
Olympic museum then go montreux
Golden line pass to interlaken.
Rest a bit. Explore interlaken

Day 4.
Schiltron day trip. Along the way explore lauttenburren. Murren and gindelwald.
Also take cruise interlaken to lautrenburren as start of this excursion.

Day 5.
Make way to wengen walk walk see see.
Golden pass train to lucern.
Explore lucern a bit. Will stay near train station n chapel bridge. So explore a bit.

Day 6.
Mt. Pilatus trip. Maybe cruise to a town there and cogwheel up. Maybe can try tobangun there.
If afternoon got time. Explore more lucern

Day 7.
Mt. Rigi. Shorter mountain. Also see cruise to a town and cogwheel up and see see.
Explore a bit of lucern

Day 8.
Make way to zurich. See see zurich

Day 9.
Wan2 leave for milan and take beninia express for the so called best train views in europe. So wake up early leave to chur n take this 5hrs beninia express to tigano.
Then train to milan

Day 10.
Milan sites visit

Day 11.
Side trip to ii salvatore shopping. Likely need to join a tour bus to go and back

Day 12
To airport milan and home
spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #17

Thanks for info!! My friend recommended me this route: Switzerland > Germany (Munich) > Czech (Prague)

I just went ahead and booked my flight tix alr. Munich and Prague are just bonus places for me.. cus Im contented with just visiting Switzerland. Haha.

And yes! Will make use of the Swiss Pass (:

Interested in Mt Rigi, Jungfrau and that overly famous Matterhorn. What do you think of these?

Between Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus and Mt Titlis, which will you recommend? I read reviews online until I gong gong alr.. haha.
If got 3 days in lucerne.

Do 2 lor. Haha. Rigi many says the best. Shorter but seems best views
spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #18
Great Supremacy Member

On 15Aug I'm flying in from London. Tickets not bought yet though so I could switch it to a morning flight instead (but of course that means I have less time in London). Lemme relook at itinerary and see when to fly, thanks!

Point taken also on moving to France instead of doing day trips, will google a bit more and see if I can save time/money that way 👍🏻
Best views on Aiguille du Midi would be 7-8am when the alpinists are setting off and around 1pm when they’re returning. Not point going up after 2pm. That’s when the clouds come in and obscure everything.
Din0saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

Day 3.
Olympic museum then go montreux
Golden line pass to interlaken.
Rest a bit. Explore interlaken

Day 4.
Schiltron day trip. Along the way explore lauttenburren. Murren and gindelwald.
Also take cruise interlaken to lautrenburren as start of this excursion.

Day 5.
Make way to wengen walk walk see see.
Golden pass train to lucern.
Explore lucern a bit. Will stay near train station n chapel bridge. So explore a bit.

Day 6.
Mt. Pilatus trip. Maybe cruise to a town there and cogwheel up. Maybe can try tobangun there.
If afternoon got time. Explore more lucern

Day 9.
Wan2 leave for milan and take beninia express for the so called best train views in europe. So wake up early leave to chur n take this 5hrs beninia express to tigano.
Then train to milan
Comments/things to note/fyi;

Day 3. The actual Goldenpass train is upto Zweisimmen only. You'd be connecting to a regio train to Spiez, then another connection to Interlaken Ost.

Day 4. I assume you'd be based in Intarlaken for this. If you intend to make a day trip for Schilthorn, you may or may not have enough time to properly explore Grindelwald in the same day. Wengen definitely yes. You may want to cover Allmendhubel since you'd be at Murren. Also, there's no ferry between Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen.

Day 5. You can convert this to Wengen > Mannlichen > Grindelwald.

Day 6. Cogwheel up can have long queues. So cable car up from the other side is actually better during summer as cogwheel is timetabled whereas cable car is continuous. The toboggan is along the cable car route up to Pilatus. If you wanna ride it, I recommend it before you actually continue for the top station as queues for these start to get long in the afternoon.

Day 9. You can use regular trains instead of the Bernina Express, which saves you needing to pay the supplement/reservation fee. Also, set your route in the SBB app with "via" Thusis and Filisur when checking for connections between Chur and Tirano. This means that your route from Chur will be via the Albula line and then the Bernina Line. Regular trains also mean you can stop at Ospizio Bernina or Alp Grum to savour your last bits of Switzerland before boarding the next hourly train to Tirano.

I previously covered a round day trip from Luzern to Tirano covering the Vereina, Engadin, Bernina and Albula lines, imho the Albula is the most picturesque.

Ark Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.