HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[WTA] Planning Switzerland August!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Supremacy Member

[WTA] Planning Switzerland August!

Hi all Swiss experts!!

Doing planning for August (summer) very rough itinerary. I know it's super skeleton mode but any comments so far? The only thing confirmed is the last day flying out of Zurich, flying in ticket not yet bought.

15 Aug - Fly into Geneva (10pm), stay overnight.
16 Aug - Geneva day tour (old town, UN, patek philippe museum, etc)
17 Aug - Day Trip Annecy (from Geneva)
18 Aug - Day Trip Chamonix/Auguille du Midi (from Geneva)
19 Aug - Buy 8-days swiss rail pass*, travel to Zermatt, Gonergrat Bahn, Klein Matterhorn
20 Aug - Travel to Wengen
21 Aug - Day trip Jungfraujoch (from Wengen)
22 Aug - Day trip Bern (from Wengen)
23 Aug - Hike around Wengen (TBC)
24 Aug - Travel to Rigi Katzbald, relax in spa.
25 Aug - Travel to Zurich, 1/2 day is explore city then 9pm flight back home.

* From initial calcluations it seems like the half fare card + buying tickets saves me more money than the swiss pass.

Last edited by deodorant; 04-05-2018 at 01:19 PM..
deodorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Great Supremacy Member

Why not fly in on a red eye flight so that you arrive before noon and split the activities on day 2 over 2 days? Then you can move over to France for 2-3 nights for potentially cheaper food and accoms. Also road tolls are expensive and a return bus ride from Geneva to Chamonix is around 70 eur per pax so you might save some money over doing day trips from Geneva.
Din0saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Supremacy Member

Why not fly in on a red eye flight so that you arrive before noon and split the activities on day 2 over 2 days? Then you can move over to France for 2-3 nights for potentially cheaper food and accoms. Also road tolls are expensive and a return bus ride from Geneva to Chamonix is around 70 eur per pax so you might save some money over doing day trips from Geneva.
On 15Aug I'm flying in from London. Tickets not bought yet though so I could switch it to a morning flight instead (but of course that means I have less time in London). Lemme relook at itinerary and see when to fly, thanks!

Point taken also on moving to France instead of doing day trips, will google a bit more and see if I can save time/money that way 👍🏻
Old 17-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Great Supremacy Member

I'm doing a similar trip in July but 10 days in Chamonix and 4 in Wengen instead, so let's share info. Just took a look at tix prices and Swiss Travel pass may not be worth it for me.
edit: Just found out there's a different one called Interrail but I have so many transits I'm not sure if all lines are covered.

4 days Swiss Travel Pass = 206GBP

4 days Interrail Switzerland Pass = 157GBP

Regular Fare
Genčve-Aéroport to Montreux = 36.00 CHF
Montreux to Wengen = 89.40 CHF
Wengen to Eigergletscher = 32.00 CHF
Wengen to Zürich Flughafen = 89.40 CHF
Total = 246.80 CHF

Saversaver will price the prices down and there's this:

Given that a normal Swiss domestic ticket from Basel to Geneva is a whopping CHF75 (€72), if there are no advance-purchase Supersaver fares available, why not just go to www.bahn.de and buy a German Railways advance-purchase sparpreis ticket from Freiburg (Freiburg in Breisgau, the last major stop in Germany before Basel) to Geneva a few weeks in advance from as little as €29 and simply not use the Freiburg-Basel part? This is perfectly legitimate, and works and saves money from Basel to most southern Swiss destinations including Geneva, Lausanne, Brig, Zermatt, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Tirano, St Moritz. It works in either direction - for Geneva to Basel, you'd simply book Geneva to Freiburg (Breisgau). It also works from Zurich to western & southern Swiss destinations if you use www.bahn.de to book from Augsburg to Lausanne or Geneva, or from Freiburg to St Moritz or Tirano - just check that your chosen journey option passes through Zurich.
source: https://www.seat61.com/Swiss-trains...._train_tickets

SBB app works better than the website for planning since it shows the different fares available while the website only shows me the cheapest.

Last edited by Din0saurus; 17-04-2018 at 08:14 AM..
Old 18-04-2018, 03:32 AM   #5
Supremacy Member

Camping here for info (: Intending to go to Switzerland in mid July. But nothing planned yet; not even plane tickets T_T

Also my 1st time to somewhere in Europe. Planning is daunting to me..
Hungred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
Great Supremacy Member

Camping here for info (: Intending to go to Switzerland in mid July. But nothing planned yet; not even plane tickets T_T

This is happening in Jul: https://www.montreuxjazzfestival.com/en/program

I might see you there!
Old 18-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Supremacy Member

I might see you there!
Haha not a jazz person. I dont think Ill be going the same areas as you. Shld be going the touristy areas.. like the same old matterhorn that everyone is saying lol.

You going to climb ah?
Old 18-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
Great Supremacy Member

Haha not a jazz person. I dont think Ill be going the same areas as you. Shld be going the touristy areas.. like the same old matterhorn that everyone is saying lol.

You going to climb ah?
There’s Alice In Chains and nine inch nail too...

I’ve heard that Matterhorn is amazing but will have to give it a miss this time. Not doing any proper climbing. Too expensive. Maybe just the Rotstock via ferrata and I have another free day in Wengen after that.
Old 19-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Supremacy Member

How long do you intend to stay in CH? You can tailor your plan with the Swiss Travel Pass duration so that you can maximise the free mountains. Here's mine from last year

Flights would be expensive during July-Aug as it's summer time

Chillax jazz + open air + backdrop of Montreux's lakeside =
Ark Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 03:55 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

How long do you intend to stay in CH? You can tailor your plan with the Swiss Travel Pass duration so that you can maximise the free mountains. Here's mine from last year

Flights would be expensive during July-Aug as it's summer time

Thanks for info!! My friend recommended me this route: Switzerland > Germany (Munich) > Czech (Prague)

I just went ahead and booked my flight tix alr. Munich and Prague are just bonus places for me.. cus Im contented with just visiting Switzerland. Haha.

And yes! Will make use of the Swiss Pass (:

Interested in Mt Rigi, Jungfrau and that overly famous Matterhorn. What do you think of these?

Between Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus and Mt Titlis, which will you recommend? I read reviews online until I gong gong alr.. haha.
Old 20-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #11
Great Supremacy Member

Gonna do the train to Rochers de Naye!

Looks like I have to bring my camera.

Thanks for info!! My friend recommended me this route: Switzerland > Germany (Munich) > Czech (Prague)

I just went ahead and booked my flight tix alr. Munich and Prague are just bonus places for me.. cus Im contented with just visiting Switzerland. Haha.

Interested in Mt Rigi, Jungfrau and that overly famous Matterhorn. What do you think of these?

Between Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus and Mt Titlis, which will you recommend? I read reviews online until I gong gong alr.. haha.
I'll be near Jungfrau 12/13 Jul.
Old 20-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

Depends on how long you'll be staying and which location(s) you're gonna be staying at. Matterhorn is to the south. Jungfrau is central-ish, while Titlis is also central-ish, but it is not near.

Generally;
Zermatt -> Matterhorn

Interlaken/Kandersteg/Spiez -> Bernese Alps: Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfrau, Shynigge Platte, First, Mannlichen, Schilthorn, Brienz Rothorn, Stockhorn, Niesen, Blausee, Oschinensee, Glacier 3000, Alpen Tower Hasliberg, etc.

Lucerne -> Central Alps: Rigi, Pilatus, Titlis, Stanserhorn, Stoos
Old 04-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Updated 1st post a little bit.

https://map.geo.admin.ch/?layers=ch....alogNodes=1379

Was looking at swiss drone map and uuuugh, pretty much all the touristy areas are no fly zones. Guess I won't bother lugging my mavic pro over.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

Updated 1st post a little bit.

https://map.geo.admin.ch/?layers=ch....alogNodes=1379

Was looking at swiss drone map and uuuugh, pretty much all the touristy areas are no fly zones. Guess I won't bother lugging my mavic pro over.
Why not? Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald First, Oeschinensee, Brienz Rothorn, Stoos, Titlis, Rigi aren't under any no-fly zone in the map
Old 07-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #15
Great Supremacy Member

Spending a lot more time traveling than I expected.

1-1.5h Chamonix to Geneva
1h9m Geneva to Montreux
3h55m Jazz Train
3h7m Montreux to Wengen
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.