HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

11 days in Italy mid sept, pls advice!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #16

Angry The pick-pocketing situation is horrible.

Yup! please be cautious!

The pick-pocketing situation is horrible.
pdsubbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #17
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm going in July, any tips?

Heard the gypsies and pickpockets are out in full force in summer!
Old 16-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #18

Just be alert all the time. And you'll be fine. Sometime they try to crowd you, just yell and they usually back away.
Maxterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #19

how about your budget? and local hotel is better or Airbnb is better
Mickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #20

share leh how they distract you.
They work in teams of 2 or 3.

One (or two) will distract you by asking you questions, or trying to sell you something, or asking you to take photo for them, or trying to be nice and help you with your bag.... anything to distract you while the other will try to pick your pocket, or bag etc.

And they are very professional. Some of these pickpockets are very well dressed.
guitar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #21

Whenever I travel in Europe. I don't carry a wallet where I put EVERYTHING inside. I only carry the amounts that I would spend on that day and spilt the amounts into different pockets. Credit cards and passport are hiding underneath my jacket.
winningeleven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #22

It is quite easy to navigate around in Italy. The only concern would be the the entering the Vatican, might be quite confusing to some. You can get pretty good prices around the Vatican metro area, good rates for students
MeIsMelah likes this.
Constellar Timepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #23

It is easy to travel from city to city. Check out Trenitalia to purchase your train tickets. Btw you need not print out the purchased tickets, all you have to do is to get into the right train and show the train conductor the e-ticket on your phone or mobile device when he conducts his check.

As for safety wise, probably have to look out for "helpful" locals, especially in the train stations.
Some will volunteer to help you to purchase the tickets, count the change in front of you, and then make away with part of your change (Personal experiences). There are some con men who blatantly do so in the actual Trenitalia or other train company's service counters so do be careful and look out for those who don the company's vest.
MeIsMelah likes this.
Old 14-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #24

Get an anti-theft backpack. There's a pretty good one from pac safe. It has an anti-RFID pocket, slash proof mesh layer and a lockable zip so you can pretty much leave your wallet and other valuables inside and unlock it only when you need them. Rather travel in peace then to worry about getting your valuables stolen. I spent 2-3 months travelling and have not been a target (or so i hope), might be the bag that deterred them.
MeIsMelah likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.