3 weeks Central Europe driving tour

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning a 3 weeks driving tour in Germany, Austria, Switzerland & France in June 2018. This trip will be placing emphasis on scenic drive, and starting point will be Dusseldorf and end point very likely Zurich. Need some tips for my plan as follows -

Day 1: Dusseldorf (arrival morning)
Day 2: Explore Dusseldorf city
Day 3: Drive from Düsseldorf to Heidelberg. Pass by Oberwesel & Rudesheim. Overnight Heidelberg (2N)
Day 4: Heidelberg & day trip to Suttgart. Mercedes/Porsche museum
Day 5: Drive to Black Forest region. Scenic drive at Baden-Baden & Schwarzwaldhochstrass. Overnight at Freiburg.
Day 6: Drive to Konstanz and overnight 1N. Explore Lake Titisee & Lake Constance
Day 7: Drive to Munich via Hohenschwangau & Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Overnight at Munich 2N
Day 8: Munich
Day 9: Drive to Salzburg and overnight 1N. Explore Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest)
Day 10: Drive to Innsbruck. Kaunertal/Stubaier Glacier
Day 11: Drive to Lucerne via Vaduz.
Day 12: Drive to Lauterbrunnen. Stop by Mt Titlis & Interlaken on the way. Overnight 3N
Day 13: Lauterbrunnen
Day 14: Lauterbrunnen
Day 15: ??
Day 16: ??
Day 17: ??
Day 18: Drive to Lyon, France
Day 19: Lyon
Day 20: Drive to Zurich . From Zurich, I'm planning to return rental car at Konstanz and take a 1 hr bus ride back. This would save me the one-way car drop off fee which is about $100-200 IIRC
Day 21: Zurich city
Day 22: Fly back to Singapore.

Generally my plan is to stick to 3 countries (Germany, Switzerland & Austria). However I do want a couple day side trip to bordering France to experience their culture/food. Originally this trip was to Colmar (after Freiburg), but I changed it to Lyon as more things available there.

If anyone can recommend a better place other than Lyon that isn't too far from Swiss border, I will appreciate it.

Secondly, Day 15-18 has undergone several revisions as I can't settle on where else to go after Lauterbrunnen. Originally I planned Lausanne and Geneva, but my friend advised me to drop Lausanne as nothing much there. Then I planned a drive down to Turin before connecting to Lyon - but this will means 4 hour daily drive which is near my daily distance limit (400-500~km). Appreciate advices on this few days (I am open to allocating more days to Germany/Austria, if u guys feel not enough time there).

PS: For Lauterbrunnen area, I will be using WaveSurfer's guide. But no long train rides as I will be driving instead.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
What you need to do is to google for highway toll. If you're picking the car up in Germany there's no highway toll. However, if you're driving it into Austria and Switzerland, they have some pass that you need to buy if you're driving on the highways (not needed for minor roads but that's just not practical) otherwise you get fined (and to add insult to injury, the rental company will levy an additional admin fee).

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes I am aware of the Swiss and Austria vignette for driving a German car there.

Anyone have tips for spending Day 15-17?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.