HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

5 Days in Switzerland --- Sharing our Itinerary, Tips and Experiences!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #46

Thanks!
It was quite crowded at Interlaken and Grindelwald (expected since it's Summer) but not so at Wengen, so we were glad we had chose to stay there.

We traveled from Singapore to Munich by Lufthansa, transferring once at Frankfurt. This was because we were heading to Germany first prior to Switzerland. We then drove to Freiburg, Germany before taking an ICE train towards Interlaken via Basel.

On our return trip, we took Swiss Air from Zurich, Switzerland to Frankfurt, Germany before taking Lufthansa back to Singapore.

We chose Hotel Edelweiss at Wengen (Link), based on availability and location. You can read our reviews from the link. I would recommend staying at Wengen instead of Interlaken or Grindelwald, if you prefer a quieter and beautiful surroundings. Lodging is more expensive there though.
Thank you for sharing, wavesurfer. I just clicked your link and it was great reading your blog. You posted lots of details andcphotos. Will slowly read and come back with more questions.

You went in July and it looked cold? What was temp like? I am planning for May cos' I thought it would be spring and nice weather with beautiful flowers. Now not sure.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #47

Thank you for sharing, wavesurfer. I just clicked your link and it was great reading your blog. You posted lots of details andcphotos. Will slowly read and come back with more questions.

You went in July and it looked cold? What was temp like? I am planning for May cos' I thought it would be spring and nice weather with beautiful flowers. Now not sure.
May should be still quite cold especially if you wanna visit the alps. If u wanna hike then i dun think u can hike too high because there will still be snow unless you are prepared for snow. When i was in interlaken region in mid June this year at around 2,600m there was still huge pile of snow blocking the routes at interlaken region.

July = best month for swiss
imperalim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #48

Hi Martin,

We were feeling quite warm when we arrived at Wengen in the first day's afternoon actually, but temperature changed for the cooler nearer to the evening and subsequent days. Temperatures should be around 20C most of the days at Wengen, and much cooler (10+C) when we went to higher grounds like at Mannlichen. Nothing a normal jacket wouldn't solve, even as high up as at the peak of Jungfraujoch. So yes like imperalim mentioned, July is a great month to be at Switzerland.
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #49

I have now read through your Swiss blog. Very well-written and lots of beautiful photos. If July is said to be peak holiday season there, I don't see much crowd in your photos. In fact, it looked like hardly anyone around you most times?
WaveSurfer likes this.
Old 27-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #50

May should be still quite cold especially if you wanna visit the alps. If u wanna hike then i dun think u can hike too high because there will still be snow unless you are prepared for snow. When i was in interlaken region in mid June this year at around 2,600m there was still huge pile of snow blocking the routes at interlaken region.

July = best month for swiss
Thanks. What was your itinerary like?
Old 30-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #51

I have now read through your Swiss blog. Very well-written and lots of beautiful photos. If July is said to be peak holiday season there, I don't see much crowd in your photos. In fact, it looked like hardly anyone around you most times?
Thank you for your compliments!

Indeed, the crowd was manageable and the most crowd was probably at Jungfrau but we wouldn't feel the crowd as it dispersed almost immediately after we alighted from the train at the peak. One reason could also be that we were there from Tuesday and almost all our days there were on weekdays.
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:54 PM   #52

Hi, a question to ask. What would be the most economical option if I were to use the public transport for 5 days? I realized the Swiss travel pass only comes in 3 and 4 days? Thanks
hooey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #53

Hi, a question to ask. What would be the most economical option if I were to use the public transport for 5 days? I realized the Swiss travel pass only comes in 3 and 4 days? Thanks
I bought Swiss Travel Pass (2nd class) for 8 days for my 7D6N trip. The swiss pass was really expensive but i have calculated that it still cheaper if i bought single/ return tickets for my trips. Cable car, bus, train is all included. There will be a conductor to check your travelpass.
I have tried it already last year, you will need to pay 50% of the fee if you are going to top of europe jungfraujoch from Grindelwald. Places like Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Murren is free if you have the travel pass. I would think it still worth the price if you are travelling by public transport. I requested to mailed the travel pass to SG, so i got my pass before i travel.
Old 29-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #54

I second the usage of swiss pass. However, if you are staying at Basel, you can ask your hotel for the Basel pass which give you free rides (bus, tram) within the city.
Old 30-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #55
Supremacy Member

I second the usage of swiss pass. However, if you are staying at Basel, you can ask your hotel for the Basel pass which give you free rides (bus, tram) within the city.
asian tourists will not stay in basel lah i think

my bzi trip all in dead /boring town basel lolx
vaxvms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #56

Thanks. So is my best option to activate 4 days of STP with 1 day paying normal fare ?
Old 01-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #57

I bought Swiss Travel Pass (2nd class) for 8 days for my 7D6N trip. The swiss pass was really expensive but i have calculated that it still cheaper if i bought single/ return tickets for my trips. Cable car, bus, train is all included. There will be a conductor to check your travelpass.
I have tried it already last year, you will need to pay 50% of the fee if you are going to top of europe jungfraujoch from Grindelwald. Places like Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Murren is free if you have the travel pass. I would think it still worth the price if you are travelling by public transport. I requested to mailed the travel pass to SG, so i got my pass before i travel.
Thanks, I guess I will have to calculate the cost of individual trips compared to the STP. However I have 5 days of full travel but STP only cover 4 days, the next option would be 8 days I reckon.

Anyone been to Mt rigi and is it worth the trip? I am staying in wengen, still undecided on my full itinerary.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #58

For 5 days you can consider getting the Swiss half-fare card for 120 CHF where there is 50% discount for all transport including trains, cables, bus and ferry. We got the 8 day Swiss Pass for 8 days so we can maximize it. If you are going to Jungfraujoch, you have only 25% discount for Swiss Pass but 50% for half-fare card. For most cases the HFC saves more money but Swiss Pass saves you the convenience of purchasing tickets every time.

We also stayed in Wengen and we loved the mountain village where we woke up every morning with gorgeous views of the Alps. We also did take a short cable ride from Wengen to Mannlichen where we hike to Kleine Scheidegg. This is one of the most popular and easy hikes with stunning views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. We didn't have great weather everyday though if not we would have did more hikes that we planned.

For Mt Rigi, we did from day trip from Lucerne. We took a ferry to Vitznau and a cog rail up. It was very foggy on way to the top, but once we reached the summit we were wowed by a incredible sea of clouds. It's an unexpected but surreal experience. However if it's a clear day you can you can a good view of the surrounding peaks and also do some hiking too!
WaveSurfer likes this.
darrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:04 AM   #59

For 5 days you can consider getting the Swiss half-fare card for 120 CHF where there is 50% discount for all transport including trains, cables, bus and ferry. We got the 8 day Swiss Pass for 8 days so we can maximize it. If you are going to Jungfraujoch, you have only 25% discount for Swiss Pass but 50% for half-fare card. For most cases the HFC saves more money but Swiss Pass saves you the convenience of purchasing tickets every time.

We also stayed in Wengen and we loved the mountain village where we woke up every morning with gorgeous views of the Alps. We also did take a short cable ride from Wengen to Mannlichen where we hike to Kleine Scheidegg. This is one of the most popular and easy hikes with stunning views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. We didn't have great weather everyday though if not we would have did more hikes that we planned.

For Mt Rigi, we did from day trip from Lucerne. We took a ferry to Vitznau and a cog rail up. It was very foggy on way to the top, but once we reached the summit we were wowed by a incredible sea of clouds. It's an unexpected but surreal experience. However if it's a clear day you can you can a good view of the surrounding peaks and also do some hiking too!
Thanks for your input bro. I'll calculate the trips to see which option suits me best.

I would probably do 1 day to Mt rigi, and 3 days around the wengen areas visiting jungfrau. Any other recommendation sights or places i should visit?
Old 10-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #60

If you are staying in Wengen for 3 days i would recommend the following excursions. Unless you are planning to visit Lucerne, I would not advise you to go Mt Rigi, as it will take almost half a day journey from Wengen. Mt Rigi, Mt Titlis and Mt Pilatus are all day trips from Lucerne. There are lots of stuff to do at the Bernese Oberland to keep you occupied.

1) Jungfraujoch: It's touristy and not cheap but you simply have to go up the "Top of Europe." It take abt 1.5 hrs from Wengen, which a change of trains at Kleine Scheidegg. Go up early to avoid the crowds. Spend at least 2-3 hrs there. Coming down from Jungfraujoch, if you have time and not tired, you may hike 1 hr from Eigergletscher to Kleine Scheidegg and take train back to Wengen.

2) Hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. Take cable car from Wengen to Männichen and hike down the easy trail in abt 1.5 hr, mostly downhill slope to Kleine Scheidegg. You will see stunning views of the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau. You can then take the train back to Wengen from Kleine Scheidegg.

If again you feel energetic, instead of going back to Wengen, take the train to Grindelwald. Walk across the town to the "Grindelwald First" cable station. Take the cable up to First and walk abt 45min to Bachalpsee Lake with reflection of Wetterhorn peak. It started raining when we got to the cable station so we missed the hike. Check with the counter staff when is the last cable car down so you miss it.

3) Visit Lauterbrunnen valley. It's a short 15min train ride down from Wengen. The valley is full of spectacular waterfalls, the most famous being the Staubbach Falls.

Thanks for your input bro. I'll calculate the trips to see which option suits me best.

I would probably do 1 day to Mt rigi, and 3 days around the wengen areas visiting jungfrau. Any other recommendation sights or places i should visit?
darrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.