HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

5 Days in Switzerland --- Sharing our Itinerary, Tips and Experiences!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #61

Continued from previous post:

4) Visit Mürren, a charming car-free chocolate-box village. Across Lauterbrunnen stn, you can take a cable car up to Grütschalp. Then you can take a short train ride to Mürren. If you chose to walk, it's about 1 hr. This walk provides a spectacular view of the Eiger massif, but from a different perspective than the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk.

5) At Mürren, if the weather is good you may take cable up to Schilthorn. If not, like us we walked 30min downslope from Mürren to Gimmelwald. It's a quaint and small village where the villagers grow their own plantation and rear cows. The popular Rick Steves described Gimmelwald as "heaven on earth".

6) If you are around Interlaken, you may consider taking at least one of the following excursions:
- Taking a ferry ride on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz.
- Take cable car Harder Kulm, where you can have a bird's eye view of Lake Thun and Brienz.
- Visit the Ballenberg Open Air Museum. This is a wonderful, mostly outdoor museum that features more than one hundred centuries-old buildings from all over Switzerland, farmyard animals, traditional old-time gardens and fields, demonstrations of local crafts.
- Visit the picturesque town of Thun.

As you can see, there are many things you can see and do around Wengen, and if you have only 3 or 4 days I would advise to just stay in that area. Also take note that some cable cars will be on maintenance and close in off-season usually around April and November. So do check out the operating dates before going.

Do let me know if you have more questions that I may be able to advise you.

Thanks for your input bro. I'll calculate the trips to see which option suits me best.

I would probably do 1 day to Mt rigi, and 3 days around the wengen areas visiting jungfrau. Any other recommendation sights or places i should visit?
darrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:05 AM   #62

Thumbs up

Continued from previous post:

4) Visit Mürren, a charming car-free chocolate-box village. Across Lauterbrunnen stn, you can take a cable car up to Grütschalp. Then you can take a short train ride to Mürren. If you chose to walk, it's about 1 hr. This walk provides a spectacular view of the Eiger massif, but from a different perspective than the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk.

5) At Mürren, if the weather is good you may take cable up to Schilthorn. If not, like us we walked 30min downslope from Mürren to Gimmelwald. It's a quaint and small village where the villagers grow their own plantation and rear cows. The popular Rick Steves described Gimmelwald as "heaven on earth".

6) If you are around Interlaken, you may consider taking at least one of the following excursions:
- Taking a ferry ride on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz.
- Take cable car Harder Kulm, where you can have a bird's eye view of Lake Thun and Brienz.
- Visit the Ballenberg Open Air Museum. This is a wonderful, mostly outdoor museum that features more than one hundred centuries-old buildings from all over Switzerland, farmyard animals, traditional old-time gardens and fields, demonstrations of local crafts.
- Visit the picturesque town of Thun.

As you can see, there are many things you can see and do around Wengen, and if you have only 3 or 4 days I would advise to just stay in that area. Also take note that some cable cars will be on maintenance and close in off-season usually around April and November. So do check out the operating dates before going.

Do let me know if you have more questions that I may be able to advise you.
Thanks Darren, appreciate your very detailed itinerary suggestions.
hooey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #63

interlaken its unforgettable

grynove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #64

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions on the forum.

I just have 4 days in Switzerland and would be arriving in Zurich with accommodation booked in Wengen. My plan is to maybe visit Mt Rigi on my first day of arrival and get to my Wengen hotel at the end of the day, with 3 more days spent around the Bernese oberland region.

Would you advise visiting Mt Rigi? Or skip it and concentrate 4 full days like what you suggested in your posts.

Thanks
Old 27-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #65

I would not advise you to go Mt Rigi after you land at Zurich even early morning and return to Wengen. Reason being the journey from top of Rigi to Wengen is almost 5 hrs, with many transfers. That is simply too long and too much time spent on traveling. Rigi is best explored if you are staying in Lucerne. Always gauge the distance and time by Google maps. Spend the entire 4 days in Wengen instead, I'm promise you have plenty to do there. Btw which month will you be going?

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions on the forum.

I just have 4 days in Switzerland and would be arriving in Zurich with accommodation booked in Wengen. My plan is to maybe visit Mt Rigi on my first day of arrival and get to my Wengen hotel at the end of the day, with 3 more days spent around the Bernese oberland region.

Would you advise visiting Mt Rigi? Or skip it and concentrate 4 full days like what you suggested in your posts.

Thanks
Old 27-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #66
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, I will be in Lucern from mid Feb to May. Any tips on seeing the best of Swiss during this period?

niwde7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #67

Thanks darrenh, I will heed your advice. I'll be going there next week, planning to go straight to wengen from zurich on the morning I arrive there.

I would not advise you to go Mt Rigi after you land at Zurich even early morning and return to Wengen. Reason being the journey from top of Rigi to Wengen is almost 5 hrs, with many transfers. That is simply too long and too much time spent on traveling. Rigi is best explored if you are staying in Lucerne. Always gauge the distance and time by Google maps. Spend the entire 4 days in Wengen instead, I'm promise you have plenty to do there. Btw which month will you be going?
Old 27-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #68

With Lucerne as your base, my best advice is to take mountain excursions on day trips. The 3 most popular ones are Mt Titlis, Mt Rigi and Mt Pilatus. All are about an hour by train and/or boat. There are several hiking trails you can take if the weather is good. Eg, when we descend from Mt Titlis, we had a awesome 1hr hike around Lake Trübsee with clear reflections of the mountains on the lake.

Lucerne itself is a charming city by Lake Lucerne and the medieval Chapel Bridge. But if you wish to visit other Swiss cities, Bern is a good option from Lucerne. Zurich could be an interesting day trip too with Europe's biggest waterfalls Rheinfall abt an hour from Zurich.

IMO anyone who has never been to Switzerland's priority should be the Jungfrau Region (Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Wengen, Mürren, Gimmelwald) - IMO it's the essence of the Switzerland - things the Lucerne area, as lovely as it it, will not fulfill. If you can stay a few days in the Jungfrau Region, it will be unforgettable.

Further away, Zermatt is everyone's dream fairytale town. Spend at least a couple of days in this car free village to see the "Toblerone Mountain" - The Matterhorn.

Hi, I will be in Lucern from mid Feb to May. Any tips on seeing the best of Swiss during this period?
Old 27-01-2016, 11:33 PM   #69
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks, I will update any new developments when I am there.

niwde7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 11:33 PM   #70

Oh so you are going in winter, I don't think hiking is possible as there is snow everywhere. Wengen and Grindelwald transforms to a beautiful skiing village during winter. I believe it will be a different and unique experience to you. Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks darrenh, I will heed your advice. I'll be going there next week, planning to go straight to wengen from zurich on the morning I arrive there.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #71

Thanks!! I'm already here in Wengen. So much snow!

Oh so you are going in winter, I don't think hiking is possible as there is snow everywhere. Wengen and Grindelwald transforms to a beautiful skiing village during winter. I believe it will be a different and unique experience to you. Enjoy your trip!!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #72

Thanks!! I'm already here in Wengen. So much snow!
I love Wengen! So peaceful and the views are so spectacular!
Old 18-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #73

Bumping up the thread for people planning to go for a holiday!
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #74

Do you recommend to take Swiss Pass? Anyone trying the supersavers ticket before as it's really cheap compared to Swiss Pass?
mlam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #75

Do you recommend to take Swiss Pass? Anyone trying the supersavers ticket before as it's really cheap compared to Swiss Pass?
The choice would really depend on your itinerary. What we did was to do some calculations based on our itinerary and the costs of the various passes, and see which one saved us the most.
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.