Advice against pickpockets in europe

beanstalk6

Reaction score
The money belt is meant to be concealed. Someone also mentioned something about having an "expendable" wallet.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
But isn't using a money belt itself a giveaway that you are a tourist and attract unwanted attention from the thieves ?

Is it ok to use pant front pockets in germany,benelux,ireland?

aircraft theft is scary...How about theft stories in hostel...should i sleep with my passport and wallet under my pillow?

sorry to hijack the thread(a little bit)......which card is the cheapest and fraudproof to use in europe?i m bringing amex-plat,posb-master,citi-visa.I will use the card to pay not for cash withdrawal? (all cards are activated for overseas use)

Money belt is meant to be worn under your clothes o_O how on earth will the thieves see it?

Not sure about hostels as I don't stay in one. If you are staying in those dorms with backpacks, you may wish to look at pacsafe products. They've got slashproof bags and cables that can secure your bag to your bed and unless the thieves use a chainsaw or they don't mind dragging your bed with them, your backpack will be safe.

Wah you bringing so many cards? I'm sticking with just one MC and one Visa. Main card will be visa though. Their customer service is pretty efficient. My overseas friend tried to withdraw sgd2k from DBS ATM here with his Visa credit card issued in his home country, and even though there's a receipt printed saying that he withdrew the money, the ATM did not spit out any cash. As the card was a supp card and his mom is the main cardholder, his mom called the Visa hotline (in their country) and initially they said they will check with DBS and investigate, but they reversed the transaction within a few hours even though DBS had not given them a reply. This gives me a pretty good impression with Visa..

pishako

Reaction score
But isn't using a money belt itself a giveaway that you are a tourist and attract unwanted attention from the thieves ?

Is it ok to use pant front pockets in germany,benelux,ireland?

aircraft theft is scary...How about theft stories in hostel...should i sleep with my passport and wallet under my pillow?

sorry to hijack the thread(a little bit)......which card is the cheapest and fraudproof to use in europe?i m bringing amex-plat,posb-master,citi-visa.I will use the card to pay not for cash withdrawal? (all cards are activated for overseas use)

visa is cheaper than amex. the txn charge is 0.5% on top of the day's exchange rate.

fraud proof wise, depends on the bank.

Anyway, I usually choose to use credit cards that earn me the most rewards when charged in foreign currency. :)

JetFixation

Reaction score
The worst city for pick pocketing is Barcelona.
I've only been attempted on once, and that was in Barna.

You can watch how they do it on this shirt video from the programme Scam City (shows on Nat Geo channel).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nftzMoYCdjU

They didn't manage to get my wallet because I velcroed all my pockets so I could feel the attempt. But they way they set it up was pure genius - have to give it to them - I wasn't expecting it at all.

afrovillain

Reaction score
They didn't manage to get my wallet because I velcroed all my pockets so I could feel the attempt. But they way they set it up was pure genius - have to give it to them - I wasn't expecting it at all.

Can you please tell how the set up was?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.