HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Advice Needed: 3 Weeks In Winter Eastern Europe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

Advice Needed: 3 Weeks In Winter Eastern Europe

Dear bros and sis,

Need advice as this is my first time visiting eastern europe in December. Furthermore, I am the only guy travelling with 3 ladies, so safety is of utmost importance to me.

Vienna, Austria— 3 nights
Hallstatt, Austria— 2 nights
Salzburg, Austria— 2 nights
Prague, Czech Republic— 4 nights
Budapest, Hungary— 3 nights
Vienna, Austria— 1 night

This is the plan that I had drafted using inspirock.

Here are my questions for your kind advice:
1) Is it safe to drive in Europe during winter? Or should we take the public transport? All 4 of us have driving licenses and I can apply for international driving permits for all. My reason for suggesting self-drive is due to the luggages that we will be carrying. Having a car will reduce the stress of carrying the luggages to the train or bus stations.

2) If we do take the public transport, how do we go about booking the trains and buses?

3) Any advice on the above plan? Our initial plan is to visit Vienna, Budapest and Prague. But I read online and found Hallstatt and Salzburg quite nice places to visit after reading some travel blogs.

4) For payment, is Euro the universal currency that can be used in all the above places? I assume credit cards can be accepted as well?

5) Is staying in airbnb ok? Or is it better to stay in hotels? So far, I've stayed in airbnb for places like korea, japan, thailand, australia, london, and the experiences have been wonderful.

6) Any advice on safety, other than always being vigilant, not to be too loud and flashy, beware of pickpockets, not to return late to our accommodation?

Thank you all for your kind advice! Happy holiday in advance!
superio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
Master Member

Hallstatt one night is enough. For austria, can book tix on oebb - tix are cheapest when you book early and become much more ex closer to the date or when there is higher demand.
saffronsatire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Dear bros and sis,

Need advice as this is my first time visiting eastern europe in December. Furthermore, I am the only guy travelling with 3 ladies, so safety is of utmost importance to me.

Vienna, Austria— 3 nights
Hallstatt, Austria— 2 nights
Salzburg, Austria— 2 nights
Prague, Czech Republic— 4 nights
Budapest, Hungary— 3 nights
Vienna, Austria— 1 night

This is the plan that I had drafted using inspirock.

Here are my questions for your kind advice:
1) Is it safe to drive in Europe during winter? Or should we take the public transport? All 4 of us have driving licenses and I can apply for international driving permits for all. My reason for suggesting self-drive is due to the luggages that we will be carrying. Having a car will reduce the stress of carrying the luggages to the train or bus stations.

2) If we do take the public transport, how do we go about booking the trains and buses?

3) Any advice on the above plan? Our initial plan is to visit Vienna, Budapest and Prague. But I read online and found Hallstatt and Salzburg quite nice places to visit after reading some travel blogs.

4) For payment, is Euro the universal currency that can be used in all the above places? I assume credit cards can be accepted as well?

5) Is staying in airbnb ok? Or is it better to stay in hotels? So far, I've stayed in airbnb for places like korea, japan, thailand, australia, london, and the experiences have been wonderful.

6) Any advice on safety, other than always being vigilant, not to be too loud and flashy, beware of pickpockets, not to return late to our accommodation?

Thank you all for your kind advice! Happy holiday in advance!
3. Is that the order of your trip? If yes, then a bit all over the place, you might end up wasting too much time travelling or driving.

Budapest - We also stayed 3 nights, if given a chance would have stayed 4 nights. Place really huge and lots of things to do and see.
Vienna - Too many days in my opinion. 3 nights just good enough, it's a nice place but got nothing much to do, also very expensive place.

4. Prague and Budapest use different currency.

5. Yes, 4 people, can save a lot in AirBNB.

6. Watch youtube for common scams. Prague I think mostly money changer, can watch honest guide in youtube. Overall you will be fine in these places.
Ekspakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #4

Has any one of you ever driven in snow or icy conditions? Do you have to bring so much luggage? It's going to be winter, and you do not need frequent change of clothes.
Use seat61 for train planning. You will need to access the national train company websites of the countries you visit.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...y-6121320.html

Last edited by beanstalk6; 27-10-2019 at 09:16 PM..
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #5

The problem with driving is not really the snow/ice (although one that needs caution) but the parking in the cities. You have the problem of staying in hotel a little outside and parking for free/low fee but need to take public transport to center or paying very expensive fees to leave your car in a centrally located hotel.

Do your research and route planning. Some passes will be closed entirely or require snow chains. You also have to live with much shorter daylight hours.

4 persons with lots of luggage means you'll need a big car. Regular compact won't fit your luggage. regardless of the mode of transport you choose it ALWAYS pays to travel light.

Last edited by gerdhold; 28-10-2019 at 12:19 PM..
gerdhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.