HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

Like Tree186Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #151
High Supremacy Member

Zzzzz I just check and airline price went up alittle for Turkish airlines and alot for finnair... Hope my gf leave get approve so I can book tomorrow night with not too much increase in airfare.
coolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #152
High Supremacy Member

Awesome map found online courtesy of a tourist volunteer.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...w.kSTrXWqMW7Rk
Old 01-04-2016, 12:45 AM   #153
High Supremacy Member

It seems that instead of going for the crazy insurance cost of the SAAP etc... I can just apply for insurance through another insurance body such as https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-...-insurance.php

I thought it was a great way to reduce insurance cost....
Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #154

It seems that instead of going for the crazy insurance cost of the SAAP etc... I can just apply for insurance through another insurance body such as https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-...-insurance.php

I thought it was a great way to reduce insurance cost....
That's an interesting concept, but you gotta verify how their claim system works, and in the event of an claim, do they pay the rental firm directly, or you have to pay up-front, then they reimburse you.
SGJoe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #155

Didn't post here during the past few days, was down with flu

Anyway, met up with my cousin whom had gone to Iceland for honeymoon during Feb, 15 days. Gotta some interesting intel from her.
  • Those planning to cover the entire Ring Road during winter, cater minimum 12 days in case of road closure. One of their leg was 180km drive (shortest leg), but encountered road closure 15km from destination, end up reroute another 180km. One whole day burnt.
  • During winter, there isn't much activity at the northern part of Iceland. So those on a slightly tighter budget/timeline, stick to the south coast.
  • Don't bet on your 4WD and studded tires to keep you on the road. They saw lots of cars, small and big, stuck on road shoulders, some with cracked windows. Driver skill plays a big part, especially in a severe snowstorm (2 meter visibility). Even they got stuck in snow twice in their Volvo XC70, but locals managed to get them out.
  • In the event of you getting stuck and no locals are able to help, you gotta get a tow truck to pull you back onto the main road, which is gonna set you back ISK 25,000 (SGD 200), even when it means pulling you 1 meter only.
  • Unless your car is equipped with those big ass snow tires seen on super jeeps, stay out of snow and slush. Once your car goes in, no guarantee it can come out.
  • As someone posted in an earlier post, bring more layers than what the met service said about the temperature, those numbers are meant for local polar bears
SGJoe86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #156
Great Supremacy Member

The winds are on par or stronger than Patagonia. The golden circle is much colder than Reykjavik despite being at the same temperature. I'm more polar bear than the locals and I cannot emphasize this enough.

Didn't use cash at all in Reykjavik, but you might need it for toilets elsewhere. 25,000ISK is around 280SGD btw.
Din0saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #157
High Supremacy Member

Booked my air tix to Reykjavik for early Oct. Unfortunately after getting our leave approved, airfare went up to 2040 for finnair instead of 1800. Ended up taking Turkish airlines for 1900 from Singapore to Oslo and icelandair for 400 from Oslo to Reykjavik. Costs are for 2 pax.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #158
High Supremacy Member

Awesome map found online courtesy of a tourist volunteer.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...w.kSTrXWqMW7Rk
This is cool.

a1v1n_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #159

Im also going to iceland this late 27oct till 4nov, mainly will do self drive southern region. any idea the road condition will be?
Old 08-04-2016, 05:35 AM   #160

Just came back from iceland 1 week ago. We drove half a ring road for 6 days and took a domestic plan from akeyuri back to rek. Do rem to check for road condition as we encountered impassable route on a bad weather (snowy and foggy) managed to catch the northern light at a hill in akeyuri. Tips for northern light - clear sky (no dark clouds) google for aurora activity. We saw it at a pointer of 4. Hope it helps and iceland by far is the most incredible and magical country i have visited
boxybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:15 AM   #161
High Supremacy Member

Just came back from iceland 1 week ago. We drove half a ring road for 6 days and took a domestic plan from akeyuri back to rek. Do rem to check for road condition as we encountered impassable route on a bad weather (snowy and foggy) managed to catch the northern light at a hill in akeyuri. Tips for northern light - clear sky (no dark clouds) google for aurora activity. We saw it at a pointer of 4. Hope it helps and iceland by far is the most incredible and magical country i have visited
How much was the domestic flight? Any reason for driving only half?

Thanks for the tip!

a1v1n_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #162
High Supremacy Member

How long did the snowy and foggy condition last?
Old 08-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #163

It's best to check the road conditions before setting off.

http://www.road.is/travel-info/road-.../island1e.html
Old 09-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #164

Because i only have 6 days in iceland therefore only plan to drive half. Air ticket is around $150 per pax

How much was the domestic flight? Any reason for driving only half?

Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-04-2016, 10:51 PM   #165

Lasted for around half an hour however i guess it comes on and off since the weather in iceland is pretty unpredictable!

How long did the snowy and foggy condition last?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.