HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

Like Tree186Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #586

Anyway, I happen to have a new and untapped 5GB (Data Only) Simmin sim card.

Bought for 2300kr and willing to let go at $20 (Expires on the 8th Nov 2016, Iceland timing)

PM me if interested and will show receipt upon meetup.
Bumping up my post!
Old 19-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #587

Yo guys, actually I'm curious with regards to the pumping of petrol and would like to share how I did it.

Mine happened to be Olis most of the time, cause I have this discount tag thingy from the rental company (I think it was 12% discount). Plus I did not have the PIN prepared for my credit card so didn't think about using it

I usually don't use the auto or self counters cause I prefer to pump first then go in and pay. Quite simple and fast, the step goes something like this:

1. Pump full
2. Queue
3. Tap discount tag
4. Pay using credit card (No PIN required)
5. Leave/coffee/washroom/etc.

But I know not all the brands and/or different locations might work this way, just wanna share on my part how I did it
Perisher likes this.
Old 20-10-2016, 12:27 AM   #588
Arch-Supremacy Member

Half of the time I encounter unmanned stations so have to use the automated pumps. Of course if got manned stations will be best, washroom stops will be much easier.
maggoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 12:49 AM   #589
High Supremacy Member

For those who need to use N1, this is how it works. I always use the automated pumps and use N1 as the rental company has a discount card for N1.

-Choose English
-Insert discount card into the slot and remove
-Insert credit card into the slot
-Enter 6-digit PIN
-remove credit card when prompted
-Purchase amount of fuel, from 500ISK to full tank
-Pump as per normal and return the pump
-If receipt is desired, insert the same credit card into the card slot, machine will automatically print the receipt of transaction.
Perisher likes this.
Old 20-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #590
Master Member

Can you try 1234 next time if got chance?
If it works, then I don't need to request for pin liao.
Better don't take chances. 75% of my petrol pump in Iceland were done on unmanned station. Unless all the way in Reykjavik which I think u won't. I used my Citibank credit card 6 pins on Olis and N1 no issues
nomoney25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #591

I'll be heading to Iceland in March 17. I saw some posts and video clip showing the strong wind during winter period. Just wondering if it's safe to drive? Or should I consider signing up for local tour package?

Are there any recommended tour package for 6d5n? TIA.
cancerguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #592
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'll be heading to Iceland in March 17. I saw some posts and video clip showing the strong wind during winter period. Just wondering if it's safe to drive? Or should I consider signing up for local tour package?

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowT...s-Iceland.html

ctstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #593
High Supremacy Member

For those who want an accurate prediction and understanding about those intense auroras you saw in the news recently, it's due to coronal holes and not solar flares. Solar flares are caused by flares likely triggered in the sun spots, but sun spots are virtually nil.

Now is the time to look out for coronal holes, which give out a constant strong stream of magnetic field which interferes with earth's geomagnetic stability, causing auroras and geomagnetic storms. Even better if Coronal mass ejaculation is detected, then u get an even stronger geomagnetic storm, which gave me a chance to see the aurora in not dark skies when I was leaving oslo (KP was 7+).

This is the website to look out for
http://www.solen.info/solar/
Old 21-10-2016, 12:02 AM   #594
High Supremacy Member

really depends if u have at least some winter driving experience. Mar 2017 is still quite deep in winter. Personally, after experiencing Iceland in Oct this year, just the wind was enough to make me drive white-knuckled at times. If I include snow, black ice on the road, I am not sure if I can cope in such situations, especially gravel roads.

Frankly, even with the windy experience I had, I will be scared of driving in Mar 2017 with the snow and black ice and wind.
Perisher likes this.
Old 21-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #595
Arch-Supremacy Member

ya gravel roads are the worst. most of my life i've driven in sg only and i have to say i've been spoilt by singapore's roads.

their gravel roads can be ridden with deep potholes which can go on a stretch of a few km. it was an unforgettable experience (in a bad way) for me even driving in fall.
Perisher likes this.
maggoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #596

Ok...seems like it's highly recommended to leave the driving to the pros. Are there any recommended guided tours for 6d5n?
cancerguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #597

Which car rental company did you guys choose? I am going in the first week of November and i have not decided on which company to go with. Most likely going with Blue car rental but need to gather some feedback first before committing.
flakkgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #598
High Supremacy Member

It's been close to 10 days and still no surprised charges to my credit card from the rental company Lotus Car rental. Was given a Renault Megane, on diesel. it feels abit worn out, especially the interior, but definitely serviceable, functionable and maintainable. The snow tyres definitely helped provide good grip on the road surface, except when I drifted at a turn on a gravel road at 65km/hr on a 60km/hr limit road (my fault).

Would I use them again if I return to Iceland? Yes: Affordable, safe and fair.
Total cost is SGD910 inclsuive of all insurances provided for 10 days.
Old 22-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #599

It's been close to 10 days and still no surprised charges to my credit card from the rental company Lotus Car rental. Was given a Renault Megane, on diesel. it feels abit worn out, especially the interior, but definitely serviceable, functionable and maintainable. The snow tyres definitely helped provide good grip on the road surface, except when I drifted at a turn on a gravel road at 65km/hr on a 60km/hr limit road (my fault).

Would I use them again if I return to Iceland? Yes: Affordable, safe and fair.
Total cost is SGD910 inclsuive of all insurances provided for 10 days.
Thanks for your imput! Did you opt for SAAP and/or gravel protection?
flakkgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #600
High Supremacy Member

Thanks for your imput! Did you opt for SAAP and/or gravel protection?
I opt for everything. But it seems that feedback from tripadvisor is theft protection insurance are not required.
Blue car rental is trustworthy from reviews too.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.