HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

Like Tree186Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #1186
Master Member

Finnair got promo now 699 to Oslo n few other destinations. It’s 1398 for two. Travel period till end Nov I think.

Scientifically speaking, sept/Oct and Mar/apr good months to go cos of equinox.
tulipkiss and Perisher like this.
swgj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #1187
Master Member

About to start planning to chase the northern lights and got slightly confused about the best period we should visit - some sites say Nov-Feb (was thinking of beginning Nov or Feb CNY period for new moon) is the best time with long winter nights, yet some other sites recommends Sep-Oct to avoid the rain / snow.
Any advice?
Saw Norwegian Air flying for about $790 (SIN-LGW-KEF) round for nov and feb.
Mid Sept. All roads including f roads are still open and u have equally same amount of daylight and night.
winningeleven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #1188

Finnair got promo now 699 to Oslo n few other destinations. It’s 1398 for two. Travel period till end Nov I think.

Scientifically speaking, sept/Oct and Mar/apr good months to go cos of equinox.
Unfortunately I may not be able to take leave until after mid-oct.. and after mid-oct will be full moon (20ish) which will reduce the darkness / not recommended too?

Looks like I may have to postpone plans to Mar..

Last edited by tulipkiss; 09-05-2018 at 05:16 PM..
tulipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #1189

Mid Sept. All roads including f roads are still open and u have equally same amount of daylight and night.
That's if we're heading to iceland right? If we chase the NL in Tromso, seems like there's not much other attractions (hence, doesn't really matter if the daylight is shorter from october onwards.)
tulipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #1190
Master Member

That's if we're heading to iceland right? If we chase the NL in Tromso, seems like there's not much other attractions (hence, doesn't really matter if the daylight is shorter from october onwards.)
Yes. The travel date suggestion was referring to Iceland. I never been to Tromso for NL. Beside NL, iceland has so much other attractions to see so even u have no luck to witness NL
Old 11-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #1191

Hi All.. I’m planning to go Iceland somewhere in Mid March 2019. Starting planning.. Just a short stop over from London and Paris. I’m planning to visit The Golden Circle, The Blue Lagoon and Skogafoss, Reynisfjara & etc.

Do I need a 2WD or 4WD?

Any car rental company to recommend?
kruzeryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #1192
Master Member

Hi All.. Iím planning to go Iceland somewhere in Mid March 2019. Starting planning.. Just a short stop over from London and Paris. Iím planning to visit The Golden Circle, The Blue Lagoon and Skogafoss, Reynisfjara & etc.

Do I need a 2WD or 4WD?

Carsiceland.

Those places u mentioned no need 4WD. In March. All cars are to have studded tyres and I always feel better to rent 4WD
Old 11-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #1193
Great Supremacy Member

Better have a 4WD if you wanna drive in winter.

Most efficient use of time is networking, not hardworking. -Perisher
Perisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #1194

I visited the Iceland in March last year as well.
Rented a 4ED from lotus car rental.

Hi All.. I’m planning to go Iceland somewhere in Mid March 2019. Starting planning.. Just a short stop over from London and Paris. I’m planning to visit The Golden Circle, The Blue Lagoon and Skogafoss, Reynisfjara & etc.

Do I need a 2WD or 4WD?

kentona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:22 AM   #1195
Master Member

Just be sure to check on weather forecast and road condition. Rent car first day but can't go anywhere as most road is closed due to bad weather wholeday =(
ApeTruelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:38 PM   #1196

Thank you guys for your reply. I have decided to rent Suzuki Vitara 4X4.

Btw.. Do we need to get International License or just being our Singapore Driving License?

Need your advise please.
Old 13-05-2018, 12:41 AM   #1197
Master Member

Thank you guys for your reply. I have decided to rent Suzuki Vitara 4X4.

Btw.. Do we need to get International License or just being our Singapore Driving License?

Need your advise please.
No need international license for Iceland car rental as our license is in English.
Old 13-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #1198

Thank you so much for your advise.

Will book my trip soon. Yayy!

No need international license for Iceland car rental as our license is in English.
Old 14-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #1199

Do apply for the car insurance when you rent your car. The weather conditions can be unpredictable and you can't exactly rely on weather forecasts even if it's one day ahead, so your best bet would be the forecast for the day itself.

There might be sandstorms and if i'm not wrong, winds above 25m/s or 35m/s should be indicative of that and it might cause some damage to the car which in turn means that you'll have to compensate the rental company
kruzeryo likes this.
Constellar Timepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #1200

Do note that while some roads around the city may seem to be "speed camera free", there are still some traffic police roaming the area. The fines can get quite hefty, i.e. $700-800 SGD if you're driving at 130km/hr on a road with a speed limit of 80km/hr to 90km/hr
Constellar Timepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.