HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

Like Tree184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2018, 03:13 PM   #1201

Do note that while some roads around the city may seem to be "speed camera free", there are still some traffic police roaming the area. The fines can get quite hefty, i.e. $700-800 SGD if you're driving at 130km/hr on a road with a speed limit of 80km/hr to 90km/hr
Constellar Timepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #1202
High Supremacy Member

Do note that while some roads around the city may seem to be "speed camera free", there are still some traffic police roaming the area. The fines can get quite hefty, i.e. $700-800 SGD if you're driving at 130km/hr on a road with a speed limit of 80km/hr to 90km/hr
Just happened I tio fine when I went Iceland in 2016, with a picture send to my email address. We were driving through a tunnel and didn't even noticed we were over the speed limit...
Cost $120SGD. Good thing is, there were many of us in that car so can divide.
Old 16-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #1203

I guess I need to be more alert and follow the traffic rules. Let say if I don't drive off road, can I just rent 2WD in Mid September? I'm planning for sight-seeing around the ring road. Not sure which car I should take in September around the ring road. Do you think Toyota Yaris is good? Just the two of us.
kruzeryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #1204
Arch-Supremacy Member

I saw a toyota yaris buang into a snow filled ditch along the road.. last year mid oct
winorlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #1205

I guess I need to be more alert and follow the traffic rules. Let say if I don't drive off road, can I just rent 2WD in Mid September? I'm planning for sight-seeing around the ring road. Not sure which car I should take in September around the ring road. Do you think Toyota Yaris is good? Just the two of us.
I was there early Nov. Drove Yaris and was travelling with my friend also. Personal experience is that the car is underpowered. But Iceland is so damn beautiful that rushing point to point would be a total waste of the trip. The car being slow like turtle also probably saved us from breaking the Iceland road sound barrier and accumulating fines

September weather shouldn't be that bad yet i think. But just a tip, as the locals say, plan around the weather and check the weather and road conditions before moving off every day.

I did chiong one day when the weather wasn't so favourable and barely manage to escape the storm. Thankfully the storm wasn't that bad yet. But did affect my itinerary a bit.

I saw a toyota yaris buang into a snow filled ditch along the road.. last year mid oct
I saw a few cars off the road when over there. No idea whether they buang or taking pictures
naz1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 12:29 AM   #1206
Arch-Supremacy Member

I drove a small camper round the ring road in October. Should be fine for you as well
ctstalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #1207

This might be helpful to those planning a self drive in Iceland.

https://themoreitravel.com/2016/10/0...round-iceland/
lameasszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:53 AM   #1208

is it safe for lady to travel solo?
Estella83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #1209

is it safe for lady to travel solo?
Yes. Saw a few solo woman traveller.

The only place where everyone dare to leave their belonging inside their car as break in is unheard of.
winningeleven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:47 AM   #1210

care to share any itinerary for people who can't drive?

Last edited by Estella83; 10-06-2018 at 09:27 PM..
Estella83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.