HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Chasing the Northern Lights - Iceland

Like Tree184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #1261

I used Carsiceland. Which I believe is the same company from bluecarrental. I prefer auto as driving on the right is something we quite unfamiliar over there. So better for me to leave out the gear shifting during drive.
Hi, can anyone advise on the car insurance? Which to buy?

For blue car rental, there is the 1) ash and sand coverage 2) full coverage which covers the deductible fully. The 2nd one is very expensive though
andynjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #1262
Arch-Supremacy Member

For blue car rental, there is the 1) ash and sand coverage 2) full coverage which covers the deductible fully. The 2nd one is very expensive though
2. I got into an accident there and regretted not getting it.

Posted from PCWX using ONEPLUS A5000
ctstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #1263

2. I got into an accident there and regretted not getting it.

Was the accident preventable?

Maybe I should be more specific on the route I am taking for better advise on which insurance to take. I am goin for 6 days, touring around golden circle, fludir, then klaustur in end March. Looking at a 4x4 kia sportage currently

Last edited by andynjk; 19-12-2018 at 02:27 PM..
andynjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 11:41 PM   #1264

Just got back from Iceland. Weather is terribad, almost raining everyday, couldn’t get to see the Northern Lights, the Ice Cave was also closed. At least we got to glacier hike...
D-aN_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 07:46 AM   #1265
Arch-Supremacy Member

Was the accident preventable?

Maybe I should be more specific on the route I am taking for better advise on which insurance to take. I am goin for 6 days, touring around golden circle, fludir, then klaustur in end March. Looking at a 4x4 kia sportage currently
Yes it was preventable. It was my fault

But you never know

ctstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #1266

The 2nd more expensive option is not available when I was there in 2016 and 2017. Even it have. I don't think I would buy. For SAA insurance. I bought it for my 2017 trip. I guess that is not really required unless there is some strong volcanic eruption which no one knows.
winningeleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #1267
Master Member

If you have a premium credit card and/or travel insurance check for coverage as well.

If u r intending to drive to places like Landmannalaugar pls get all the fullest possible coverage. Even then I am sure it does not cover fording rivers. Offhand the ring road around Iceland is quite ok except Westfjords - seriously bad roads. That was from a visit a handful of years ago .

( But in the context of winter / northern light chasing , these areas are out of bounds anyway )

Last edited by RyanJosie; 29-12-2018 at 10:30 PM..
RyanJosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:06 AM   #1268
Master Member

Just came back.. i brought all the insurance they have to have 0 excess.

The weather there is damn interesting, is very different in all the other countries i drove. It can just rain, sun, cloudy, snow, clear sky, rain, strong wind and it just repeat randomly

Morning drive to Jökulsárlón, next moment the road close cant drive back to vik.. close due to very strong wind... wind jin strong 1st time ever feel such strong wind like can blow me off..

Driving also very interesting, suddenly foggy and then strong wind blowing all the sands in 1 direction and etc.

So if dun wan headache just spend abit more on insurance coverage

djr81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.