HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Driving in Germany

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #1

Driving in Germany

Hi all
I will be in Frankfurt for a few days in December and planning to rent a car. (Drive to and fro Airport and to Heidelberg)

Anyone has any advise or experience to share on driving in Germany? Would it be difficult to understand the road sign? Would the google map be good enough for navigation?

Thanks.
smarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:54 AM   #2
Supremacy Member

Itís pretty easy to drive in Germany but are you an experienced driver? Driving on the autobahn can be daunting for same as thereís no speed limit on certain stretch. Frankfurt to Heidelberg is not that far though, you could easily take a train.
Chris008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi all
I will be in Frankfurt for a few days in December and planning to rent a car. (Drive to and fro Airport and to Heidelberg)

Anyone has any advise or experience to share on driving in Germany? Would it be difficult to understand the road sign? Would the google map be good enough for navigation?

Thanks.
Google map is OK for driving in germany. If you book certain car classes, they come with built in GPS.

Apart from driving during winter season, the speed limit is strictly enforced (tolerance 3km/h over) and there's no warning for speed cameras. Also expect to pay parking for everywhere even at hotels - free parking concept dont exist there.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

not used to driving in germany cos everything is left hand drive including signal lights and wiper also on the opposite side and their freeway got no speed limit one
5star_pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Master Member

Hi all

Thanks.
easy to drive with GPS. some cars have inbuilt ones, i much prefer waze ( need connection )

take some time to get familiar with the car, including left hand drive. if u pick up from a carpark then you can take some time to go around to familiarise. confirm the usage of winter tyres.

go slow on corners, be wary of something called black ice. i lost traction on a corner and the sides kenna grazed against the guard rail.

In winter remember to go slow for a start. ( although u will still see cars zipping at crazy speeds ) . snow removal trucks clears individual lanes, but between lane there is a heap up line of snow. if change lane carelessly that can cause u to lose traction for a while.
RyanJosie is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.