Currently for my plan is as follows

Day 1 reach 12pm
Stay at airport hotel, go helsinki walk walk
Day 2 flight to Levi
Stay 2n
Day 5 bus to rovaniemi
Hw many night is recommended?

I have a total of 7 days

I spend one day in Helsinki and another day in Tallin.

Tassel

Reaction score
Yea. That’s right. You can do a lot of the winter activities during the daytime. Every night sit by the inari lake to catch the aurora. Haha. Then I do one winter activity each day time.

In Inari now... Still got some sunlight.. And is not at dard as I thought.... But... It is damn bloody cold lor...

nofearck

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is Helsinki worth to stay for 2night?

Currently for my plan is as follows

Day 1 reach 12pm
Stay at airport hotel, go helsinki walk walk
Day 2 flight to Levi
Stay 2n
Day 5 bus to rovaniemi
Hw many night is recommended

I have a total of 7 days

2 nights is just nice. Mainly shopping and museums

wasedr

Reaction score
I went to Lapland, Finland for 3 days stay at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort. The stay there was awesome. Reindeer ride, Husky ride, igloo stay, sauna, etc. There is airport transfer provided by the resort so you dont need to worry.

My photos at the resort at Lapland, Finland.
https://nixchan.com/lapland-finland/

I also stayed in Helsinki for a 2 days, its just a city with museums. Im not a museum person, hence, i didnt quite enjoy myself there. I headed north to Tuusulanjarvi (Lake Tuusula) and Proovo, can take bus there for a 1 day trip.

My photos at Tuusulanjarvi (Lake Tuusula) and Proovo.
https://nixchan.com/helsinki-finland/

traveller2019

Reaction score
hi guys, thanks for all the tips from your earlier posts. May I seek you advice on my current itinerary for Jan '19 (gaps and if i am overspending);

1. SG - HEL (return) - S$1,270
2. HEL accommodation - S$200/night (jalan jalan 2 days)
3. HEL to Ivalo (return) - S$230
4. Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort (Kelo Glass Igloo) - S$4,283 for 4D3N (2 pax)
5. Husky and Reindeer rides, etc - S$1000 (2 pax)
6. Ivalo how to go Rovaniemi? ok if i stay in Rovaniemi for 3D2N jalan jalan?
7. Return trip from Rovaniemi to Ivalo
8. Ivalo to HEL
9. HEL to SG

You can see my itinerary is still very raw...hope to finalise it by mid-April '18 and book everything by then. Your input including what to do, where to stay or an itinerary to replace is greatly appreciated!

xJuzagalx

Reaction score
hi guys, thanks for all the tips from your earlier posts. May I seek you advice on my current itinerary for Jan '19 (gaps and if i am overspending);

8. Ivalo to HEL
9. HEL to SG

You can see my itinerary is still very raw...hope to finalise it by mid-April '18 and book everything by then. Your input including what to do, where to stay or an itinerary to replace is greatly appreciated!
Hi, you might want to check the map when you plan... hel is at the bottom, Ivalo is at the top north and Rovaniemi is somewhere in the middle so from Rovaniemi you can travel back to hel no need to go back Ivalo... Rovaniemi to Ivalo there are long distance bus available https://www.matkahuolto.fi/en/ by traveling to Ivalo u mean to Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort? Bus is available bus stop name Kakslauttanen I, depending where you stay in Rovaniemi u can check where to board as well..
Are you doing your activities at Kakslauttanen Arctic resort? take note that they do not allow booking of outside activities all activities must be booked from them.. and their prices are more expensive...if you have not make up your mind maybe you can check out Wilderness Hotel Nellim.. spent 3d2n there and saw amazing northern light.. it is located near Lake Inari but I went in March 2017... anyway enjoy your trip.. ask if u need more help.. if you are interested in ice breaker cruise and snow castle you can check out Kemi too..
Anyway if you have not buy your air ticket I would suggest that you buy a open jaw ticket to fly in from hel and out from Ivalo airport save time to detour

Last edited:

traveller2019

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply! Yeah...i should look at the map closely.

1. I've noted on the open jaw air ticket booking...it's my first time to do so, so i'm not too familiar with it. Will explore more.

2. Wilderness Hotel Nellim seem to be really popular! all booked out in mid Jan '19! Exploring more glass igloos now...Kakslauttenen seems to be the most famous, but also most $$$. It's my fiance's dream to have a few nights in a glass igloo...so if there are other places that have the same experience level, please let me know!

Will draw up my itinerary again and let you guys comment soon!

traveller2019

Reaction score
after some research, it seems that whatever ivalo area has, rovaniemi has it and more. if so, would i lose anything major if i were to skip ivalo and just have HEL-Rovaniemi in my itinerary?

the glass igloos and activities are definitely cheaper in rovaniemi too. (though not as extravagant as kakslauttanen's)

I wouldn't mind venturing a bit further from the city centre too. Thoughts anyone?

xJuzagalx

Reaction score
after some research, it seems that whatever ivalo area has, rovaniemi has it and more. if so, would i lose anything major if i were to skip ivalo and just have HEL-Rovaniemi in my itinerary?

the glass igloos and activities are definitely cheaper in rovaniemi too. (though not as extravagant as kakslauttanen's)

I wouldn't mind venturing a bit further from the city centre too. Thoughts anyone?

Hi, it depend on your goals for the trip.. do you want to see the northern light aka aurora? If you want to then you need to travel to Ivalo/ Lake Inari because nearer to Lake Inari has a higher chance of seeing it than hel and Rovaniemi. If u are just interested in only the snow activities den you can just stick to hel and Rovaniemi.. both have snow activities such as cross country ski, ice fishing, reindeer safaris, husky safaris, ice kart, snowmobile, glass igloo stay, Aurora hunting and maybe a visit to Santa clause to post a postcard back home..

https://vimeo.com/260286663/64cf533622

Last edited:

ksapple

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am just in levi right now, the weather is great. There is igloo there as well. Better than kak's. The igloo come with a small kitchen and personal shower.

The activities there gt ice Karting, adventure parkt and the usual lapland stuff.

Manage to catch Northern light yesterday, quite faint tho.

Waiting for bus now to rovaniemi to see santa hahaha

We stay at golden crown iglut. Is a relatively new igloo i tink built 2016.

There resturant there aurora sky is also quite good.

If bored can go take a taxi to the village gt souvenirs shops and supper market.

1 more thing to note for SimCard.
Unless u are going for more than 10 days, get DNA sim can liao 7.90 euro unlimited call data and sms @0.89per day if more than 10days get elise sim. 19.9 euro i tink

Last edited:

djr81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe spend 2 nite most at kakslautten igloo.. try other well know igloo like levin.. 1 nite at levin igloo and 1 nite at levin tree house.

U can rent car so u can drive down to rvn.
Stay at santa village or snowman world.

Then from rvn to hel...

I going on the dec

Sin-CPH-HEL-IVH-RVN-HEL-KEF-KEF-CDG-CDG-SIN
:s22:

8. Ivalo to HEL
9. HEL to SG

petrolhead

Reaction score

8. Ivalo to HEL
9. HEL to SG

Subscribe to the Finnair newsletter and you may be able to snag return flights for $800.

Two nights in Rovaniemi will be pretty relaxed - one day at the Arctic Museum and Christmas market (if you're early enough), another in the Santa Claus Village, and there should be time to use a sauna.

In case you run out of things to do in Helsinki, you can take the Onnibus to Porvoo and spend half a day there (1 hour each way), or the ferry to Tallinn for a day trip (3 hours each way).

ashethen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will be heading there from 27 Oct to 6 Nov.

Can anyone recommend me some activities to do there besides northern light hunting?

Seems like there's no snow activities to do during that period. Made a grave mistaking booking this period for the trip, also missed out on glacier express in Switzerland which I'll be at before Finland.

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT

Jacqueline.

Reaction score
thinking of heading there in 23 dec as well, any one going around that date can pm, we can even carpool!

anyone knows how to get around for the following places other than car rental?
car rental is exorbitant during those period!

• ivalo to saariselka (for aurora hunting)
  • saariselka to rovaniemi (for husky safari)
  • rovaniemi to ranua (for ranua wildlife)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.