HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Greece / Santorini Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #1

Greece / Santorini Experts

Hi Greek experts!

Good day! have not travel far to the med/europe side in my life. Planning to head over this sept/oct/nov to greece.

Any seniors can guide how many days, which cities, hotel, places, wineyards, places of interest to go in Greece ? of cos the usual santorini craze tips would be useful ?

How you guys buy the domestic ticket from Athens to Thira and various parts of Greece ? Is Athens international airport serves the domestic flights as well ?
pleased to hear.
kyteo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Cant really help here because it's also my first time going to Greece. But at least I have been to quite a number of European countries haha.

I haven't really plan for the itinerary yet, only booked flights and accommodation. I will be going on sept and will stay in Athens for 2 nights, then 3 night in Santorini. Tickets from Athens to Santorini can just buy online like any flight tickets. For me I booked from Ryanair. Sept will be a busy period in Santorini; Oct less busy; Nov, most hotels will close down. So, do plan well. I booked the Grace Hotel which has the best Caldera and sunset view, but most of the popular hotel rooms are already fully book for Sep.
kheng86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

Athens airport serves both domestic and international flights, just need to check in at different areas.
Ive flown aegean air and sky express, both are fine, just pick the ones with best timing/price for you. If the prices are the same, then go with aegean. Sky express plane is very small, like 4 seats per row, and the plane is very noisy. It's a short flight and gets you there with no problems, so I wont fuss over it.

I went to athens/santorini/nafplio in early nov and really enjoyed it. It was low season so my accomodation was very cheap (half the prices of july/august) and it was lovelyyyy. The weather was cooling and the place wasnt full of tourist allowing you more peace and quiet. If you want to club though then it's not a good season. If you go to santorini at the end of the season then stay at fira or oia as the rest of the other areas were very quiet with no restaurants. Fira and Oia was ok, with about 60% of the shops and restaurants opens, more than enough choices as the shops tends to be repetitive after a while anyway.
There wasnt anymore ferries when I went though so I didnt island hop (also the other islands have closed for the season) and drove from athens to nafplio/corinth/Mycenae and Epidaurus instead which I really enjoyed.

If you want to party and island hop, then probably better to go before end october before the seasons die down.
orangemonkey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

Well, the first stop would be Athens. There's scoot direct flights and it's the cheapest if you get it early enough. In Athens try to get airBnb in or near Syntagma square. We stayed in an apt on Pentellis and I think it was available on booking.com. The airport train or bus goes there. Spend a couple of days taking in Acropolis, Parthenon, Plaka, museums. You can use Athens as base to do day trips to Delphi, Corinth or further afield, go to Meteora (train or drive and overnight) or to the Peloponese.

If you want the island experience, you can easily fly domestic to several islands including Santorini, or do island hopping on ferries if you have the time. Plenty to do on Crete. Ferries leave from Pireaus which is an easy train ride from Plaka.

I don't know about vinyards but if you hire a car in Athens, there are some memorable drives in the Peloponese through olive groves.

Greece is a great country to visit. can't go wrong, we've been there 3 times and always enjoyed.
mmchaisi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #5

Hi Greek experts!

Good day! have not travel far to the med/europe side in my life. Planning to head over this sept/oct/nov to greece.

Any seniors can guide how many days, which cities, hotel, places, wineyards, places of interest to go in Greece ? of cos the usual santorini craze tips would be useful ?

How you guys buy the domestic ticket from Athens to Thira and various parts of Greece ? Is Athens international airport serves the domestic flights as well ?
pleased to hear.
I would recommend going to Greece in early Oct. It's the non-peak period, so you need not have to squeeze with the rest of the crowd for that perfect Santorini sunset shot. Hotels should be cheaper too due to the lower demand.

Weather wise, it is alright, maybe ranging from 14 degrees to 28 degrees. The weather will be important if you plan to head to the beach. I would recommend Kamari beach, it's a pretty darn good place to suntan and enjoy the ocean view.
Constellar Timepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

Oh, and one more thing. I checked with the hotel that i stayed in during my trip to Greece in Oct last year. The hotel manager said that most of the hotels and restaurants will be closed in late October and in early November.

It's still somewhat good to travel when there's a small crowd, so you'll know that you're headed to the right direction.
Constellar Timepieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.