HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help. Where to get turkish liras?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #31
Master Member

Aside from using ATMs as mentioned above, you could also bring USD or Euro to change to Lira once you get into the city proper. The airport rates are very poor.

Of course, to get into the city, you will need a bit of Lira first. There is a guy who was selling Lira @ http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/tr...#post108962394 . I previously sold my leftover Lira to and personally dealt with him, so can vouch for his reliability.

There is also an active listing of some loose Lira on Carousell.

If the above doesn't work out, you could just draw a little from ATMs at the airport before changing the rest in the city.
lowzeewee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #32

sorry for dragging an old thread, going to Istanbul soon and need to know which money changer in Sg is carrying Lira.
I am planning my trip too. So far the 'best' rate offered is 1 lira to $0.39 or 256 lira to S$100 at Mustafa. On the internet currency exchange, the rate is 1 lira to $0.34, quite a vast difference. Compared to the exchange rates in 2014, our SGD has appreciated quite a fair bit.
I called POSB and according to them, if you draw the lira from the ATM with the Cirrus / Plus logos, you are charged at Mastercard rates https://ferates.com/sgd and an additional S$5 per withdrawl. Present Mastercard rates is 1000 TRY to S$341. So this seems to be the best option.
Another alternative is also to change to Euros or USD and change them in town at the money changer, not the airport which does not have good rates. Euros have a good rate there. But becareful of scams.
mlangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #33

I am planning my trip too. So far the 'best' rate offered is 1 lira to $0.39 or 256 lira to S$100 at Mustafa. On the internet currency exchange, the rate is 1 lira to $0.34, quite a vast difference. Compared to the exchange rates in 2014, our SGD has appreciated quite a fair bit.
I called POSB and according to them, if you draw the lira from the ATM with the Cirrus / Plus logos, you are charged at Mastercard rates https://ferates.com/sgd and an additional S$5 per withdrawl. Present Mastercard rates is 1000 TRY to S$341. So this seems to be the best option.
Another alternative is also to change to Euros or USD and change them in town at the money changer, not the airport which does not have good rates. Euros have a good rate there. But becareful of scams.
Thanks everyone for their input! I read other forums as well and it seem that withdrawing from ATM is the best option. Do you plan to withdraw all the cash from the atm or just a bit and change the rest at the city?
Old 28-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #34

Thanks everyone for their input! I read other forums as well and it seem that withdrawing from ATM is the best option. Do you plan to withdraw all the cash from the atm or just a bit and change the rest at the city?
If you are alone and do not want to lose what you have drawn to pickpockets or scams, then take out enough for a few days, making sure you keep your atm card in a safe place. The $5 withdrawl fee is like the charge the bank levies for keeping your cash safe. If you have a companion or more to help look out for you, then I guess it is safe to draw a bit more.
mlangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #35

A bit off topic but hopefully someone can help to answer. Where did you guys get your sim card? Was reading around and it seems like the airport is a busy place to get one. Too bad singtel dataroam 1gb do not cover Turkey.
Old 21-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #36

A bit off topic but hopefully someone can help to answer. Where did you guys get your sim card? Was reading around and it seems like the airport is a busy place to get one. Too bad singtel dataroam 1gb do not cover Turkey.
Me too, i also want to ask on data sim card. True, singtel dataroam 1gb do not cover Turkey which is such a waste as Singtel offers $20 credit per month for dataroam for combo 6 and above. I checked qoo10 and the prepaid sim card is so ex.
aearthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #37

Me too, i also want to ask on data sim card. True, singtel dataroam 1gb do not cover Turkey which is such a waste as Singtel offers $20 credit per month for dataroam for combo 6 and above. I checked qoo10 and the prepaid sim card is so ex.
I got it at the airport but I got there early in the morning. Quite easy to get it downtown too. The main mobile operators have outlets in all the busy areas.
259850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #38

If you are alone and do not want to lose what you have drawn to pickpockets or scams, then take out enough for a few days, making sure you keep your atm card in a safe place. The $5 withdrawl fee is like the charge the bank levies for keeping your cash safe. If you have a companion or more to help look out for you, then I guess it is safe to draw a bit more.
Very good advice. There are ATM machines everywhere. I have a CIMB account - it allows for free withdrawals overseas. Therefore I withdraw just 1 day's need when I'm traveling and use credit cards wherever possible. I got pickpocketed on my last day in Istanbul - really my fault for being so careless, but I lost only around 50 lira (and an old wallet that I wanted to replace anyway).
259850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #39

I just got back from Turkey, had 84.85lira left and some credits left in Istanbulkart. Looking for people to take all for SGD35.
wl_ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #40

so must i call posb to activate some service so that my posb atm card can use overseas? or is it by default can use overseas?
amelia80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #41

I just got back from Turkey, had 84.85lira left and some credits left in Istanbulkart. Looking for people to take all for SGD35.
Still available?
Contact me : 82854076
Herdyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.