Iceland and London Trip Jan2016

GrowingCorner

Reaction score
I traveled to Iceland and London with my hubby in the beginning of this year to see Ms Aurora. Will like to share my experiences and tips to those who have Iceland in their bucket list this year. Will be useful for people who want to go free and easy in Iceland instead of joining tour groups. You are now able to find info on flights,costs, visa, baggage allowance etc on my newly started blog. I will be updating my blog on car rentals, places I been to and any useful tips every other day as they are still work in progress. You may see more at makesimple.wordpress.com

Last edited:

guitar123

Reaction score
Iceland was very interesting. I liked Godafoss.

Also had to pay for toilets at Thingvellir National Park using credit card!

SGJoe86

Reaction score
$2 for a toilet(!!!), and here we are complaining about 10 cent toilet :D

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@GrowingCorner

Is it really worth suffering 2 exchange rate losses from SGD to GBP/EUR to ISK rather than just withdrawing from the atms in Iceland and paying the fees? If it's just 1-2% more for atm withdrawal, I would rather not have to hunt down a money changer with a good rate since the travelling and time isn't worth it with the amount I'm intending to change.

@guitar123: I love your parents/in-laws man. Will be paying to use the toilet for sure. It's my weird habit to visit any interesting toilet I can find...

SGJoe86

Reaction score
@GrowingCorner

Is it really worth suffering 2 exchange rate losses from SGD to GBP/EUR to ISK rather than just withdrawing from the atms in Iceland and paying the fees? If it's just 1-2% more for atm withdrawal, I would rather not have to hunt down a money changer with a good rate since the travelling and time isn't worth it with the amount I'm intending to change.

@guitar123: I love your parents/in-laws man. Will be paying to use the toilet for sure. It's my weird habit to visit any interesting toilet I can find...
Bro, why not direct change SGD to ISK while in Europe transit? I'm sure major airport at Europe can do that right? Beside, don't think there is a need to change much since most, if not all, the shops in Iceland accept credit cards.

As for the toilet, I'll bring back their toilet paper or air freshener as souvenir since I paid $2 for it! :D

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, why not direct change SGD to ISK while in Europe transit? I'm sure major airport at Europe can do that right? Beside, don't think there is a need to change much since most, if not all, the shops in Iceland accept credit cards.

As for the toilet, I'll bring back their toilet paper or air freshener as souvenir since I paid $2 for it! :D

... because I didn't think of that. so dumb. haha. but I just checked. transit is in Helsinki and the first link I found with their rate online has a spread of 11% for ISK/EUR. @#$%. I might just bring THB and see how it goes. It's a popular currency in the Nordic countries.

... maybe bring a container and take some soap also.

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$2 for a toilet(!!!), and here we are complaining about 10 cent toilet :D

Yes, it is the most expensive toilet ever. If you want to avoid that charge, there is a cafe not far from the park that has free toilet. My tour bus stop there after thingvellir.

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ISK is actually not traded much outside Iceland. That is why the spread is so high. And, they may not accept all currencies also and thus your THB may not work. I confirm they dont accept CZK.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Hence change at major European airport SGD to ISK before flying of to Iceland, since SGD should still be widely (enough?) accepted at those money changers.
I not forex trader, so won't be bothered with too much on the exchange gains/losses, as I planning to change max SGD200?

marcoyeo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I traveled to Iceland and London with my hubby in the beginning of this year to see Ms Aurora. Will like to share my experiences and tips to those who have Iceland in their bucket list this year. Will be useful for people who want to go free and easy in Iceland instead of joining tour groups. You are now able to find info on flights,costs, visa, baggage allowance etc on my newly started blog. I will be updating my blog on car rentals, places I been to and any useful tips every other day as they are still work in progress. You may see more at makesimple.wordpress.com

Can still view Northern Lights this year Sep-Oct period?

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Can still view Northern Lights this year Sep-Oct period?
Midnight sun is over by then, so no problem viewing Northern Lights. Frequency of it appearing will be lower compared to last year as the solar cycle (can't remember the proper term) had already peaked.

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISK is actually not traded much outside Iceland. That is why the spread is so high. And, they may not accept all currencies also and thus your THB may not work. I confirm they dont accept CZK.

Why would CZK work? I though of THB cos they have a significant number of immigrants there but it seems like they might not be able to do it. they have PLN (biggest immigrant group) and SGD listed though! But sgd probably not gonna be available every where.

https://www.landsbankinn.com/markets/exchange-rates/?tab=Almennt

Hence change at major European airport SGD to ISK before flying of to Iceland, since SGD should still be widely (enough?) accepted at those money changers.
I not forex trader, so won't be bothered with too much on the exchange gains/losses, as I planning to change max SGD200?

I'm prepared to spend maybe 700sgd but not sure how much cash to change yet. for 200sgd, just withdraw from atm? I'm gonna use my transit time to head out for a walk. Wanna spend as little time doing these things as possible. Haha.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Why would CZK work? I though of THB cos they have a significant number of immigrants there but it seems like they might not be able to do it. they have PLN (biggest immigrant group) and SGD listed though! But sgd probably not gonna be available every where.

I'm prepared to spend maybe 700sgd but not sure how much cash to change yet. for 200sgd, just withdraw from atm? I'm gonna use my transit time to head out for a walk. Wanna spend as little time doing these things as possible. Haha.
Depending on what airport you'll be transiting at, perhaps they have money changers in there, so that could save you some hassle.
Cash would be more for emergency use since credit card is widely accepted. Only issue I foresee is losing track of spending, since you don't physically see money going out from wallet, plus everything is in ISK and not SGD.
And you're right, maybe SGD200 is small enough for me to do direct withdrawal from local ATM rather than going around with a wad of ISK.

Ekspakk

Reaction score
I heard credit card is basically accepted everywhere. Can don't change any ISK at all?
Yup, we didn't change any ISK and paid CC for everything which is pretty normal even on the hotdog stand.

But I think you will need cash if you plan to take bus around the city.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Yup, we didn't change any ISK and paid CC for everything which is pretty normal even on the hotdog stand.

But I think you will need cash if you plan to take bus around the city.
Credit card for hot dog stand?!?! Now that's hardcore!

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't be surprised by credit card payment being available at the hotdog stand since it's available at the toilet, but Wow!

Might just be able to survive with $50.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Probably explain why not many money changers carry ISK since credit card is THAT widely accepted o_O

jackieatbtu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I had leftover CZK from my Prague trip and I thought to sell them back at Reykjavik airport. But, they only accept my leftover GBP and euros. Since I was changing the money at the actual bank counter at the airport and not those money changers, I thought they would accept most European currencies. =:p

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.