HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Opinions on Scotland Road Trip (Oct)

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Skimilk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

Opinions on Scotland Road Trip (Oct)

Probably because Scotland has so many scenic spots, i find that i am unable to get a big picture on where i should go from the Tripadvisor forum. There's a six page thread on Fort William alone xD Hence what i need are insights from my fellow countrymen, as to how many days i should plan my road trip for.

i will be starting and ending in Edinburgh, with a focus on Isle of Skye in a loop as such: https://goo.gl/maps/JdViaR2YFTs

What are the good spots i have missed? How long should i stay at Skye?

i'll be the only driver, and my friend and i, we love nature. 8-12 days no problem. tolong tolong~

Last edited by darklighter; 07-04-2018 at 11:37 PM..
darklighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:15 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

no point getting to portree but not exploring skye, as portree is just a town in skye. if you are into landscape, skye is the place. you should spend at least one full day or two in skye driving around. you will notice that skye has occasional rains, and the landscape is very different when you are driving up. there are many sights in skye, which you can easily find online. just to list a few: neist point, dunvegan castle, old man of storr, kilt rock, quiraing. there is also the scottish highlands which you might want to check out. these are the scenic places that you don't want to miss. suggest you look up the itinerary of tour operators, this will give you a good idea of where would be of interest to you.
5408854088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #3

Hijacking this thread too! I'm going on a road trip in the first 2 weeks of may too. Have not planned anything!

Probably because Scotland has so many scenic spots, i find that i am unable to get a big picture on where i should go from the Tripadvisor forum. There's a six page thread on Fort William alone xD Hence what i need are insights from my fellow countrymen, as to how many days i should plan my road trip for.

i will be starting and ending in Edinburgh, with a focus on Isle of Skye in a loop as such: https://goo.gl/maps/JdViaR2YFTs

What are the good spots i have missed? How long should i stay at Skye?

i'll be the only driver, and my friend and i, we love nature. 8-12 days no problem. tolong tolong~
veryhappyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #4

I understand. Tour operators usually pair Scotland up with other UK cities, causing a lack of focus on Skype and the routes around it

I want to draw from your experience to find out whether my route is missing anything awesome, and how many days i would need to enjoy the sights comfortably

After Inverness going back to Edinburgh it seems that the excitement of the trip will decrease?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
Master Member

Focus on Skye if you're there for the scenery. I'll advise a minimum of 3 nights there driving around. Inverness don't really have much to offer as Skye from my experience. It's fun to drive at Skye too

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT
ashethen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #6

Where are good spots for me to stop overnight on the road trip leh?
Old 18-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #7

I just came back

We did a trip in Islay (Scotch heaven), Skye and Loch Lomond area. For overnight stops, we just download a premier inn / travelodge app to search for the nearest branch when it's 8pm.

It's so gorgeous I want to head back there again!

Where are good spots for me to stop overnight on the road trip leh?
Old 19-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #8

Nice! Did you come back down through the middle?

Help me evaluate my latest plan please!
1 Edinburgh
2 Edinburgh
3 Killin
4 Arisaig
5 Skye
6 Skye
7 Applecross
8 Aviemore
9 Pitlochry
10 Edinburgh
11 Flight Home
Old 21-05-2018, 12:43 AM   #9

If you are talking about distance, it's doable. For reference, we flew into Manchester in the morning, and reached Islay in the evening (300+ miles in a day).

We didn't really have a plan, just know that we will visit islay and skye, and visit some friends in Stirling etc.

We drove from Manchester to Islay, then to Port William, then Skye, then Stirling, then Loch Lomond, Falkrik, Lock Lomond again, then back to Manchester. In total we did 1400 miles in... 10 days.

By any chance will you be visiting distilleries?

Nice! Did you come back down through the middle?

Help me evaluate my latest plan please!
1 Edinburgh
2 Edinburgh
3 Killin
4 Arisaig
5 Skye
6 Skye
7 Applecross
8 Aviemore
9 Pitlochry
10 Edinburgh
11 Flight Home
Old 21-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #10

yeap distilleries! wow manchester is a long way. were there checkpoints where you had to produce your passport from england to scotland?

did you hike? any recommendations on what to do at lomond?
Old 30-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #11
Master Member

I just came back

We did a trip in Islay (Scotch heaven), Skye and Loch Lomond area. For overnight stops, we just download a premier inn / travelodge app to search for the nearest branch when it's 8pm.

It's so gorgeous I want to head back there again!
Can you share your travel stops for reference please?

Thank you in advance!
hokeylim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #12

We went in May 2017. Flew in and out of Edinburgh.

Itinerary below (each place is where we stopped for the night). Airbnb the whole way. Our main purpose of going was to cover the North Coast 500. We love scenery and whisky.

Arrive Edinburgh and pick up car
Gare Loch
Fort Williams
Skye
Skye
Shieldaig
Ullapool
Rhiconich
Wick
Inverness
Laggan
Edinburgh return car

Hope this helps you. Food was mostly terrible for the price. Recommend you buy from the supermarket and cook yourself. That way at least it won't be deep fried / burnt / dry.
weixiang80 and darklighter like this.
Skimilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #13

Any advice on SIM card? Where to buy and how much it costs
Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #14

UK and scotland drives the same side as SG? Need international passport or just bring SG license?
punkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.