Photos from my Budapest & Eastern Europe Trip

wanderlex

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought of sharing some of the photos taken in Budapest for those who are interested. Thanks and cheers!

The Little Princess statue (Kiskirálylány) and Danube promenade

Little-Princess-statue-Budapest.jpg

Danube-River-sunset-at-Budapest.jpg

Central Market Hall and Liberty Bridge

Inside-Budapest-Central-Market-Hall.jpg

Tram-on-Liberty-Bridge.jpg

Cave church and Citadel at Gellért Hill

Cave-Church-worship-area.jpg

Budapest-view-from-Citadel.jpg

Easter fun at Buda Castle

Wooden-merry-go-round-at-Buda-Castle.jpg

Hungarian-Chimney-cake.jpg

More photo and write up at http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/budapest/

Last edited by a moderator:

wanderlex

Reaction score
Hi all,

From the pm which I am getting, I will answer them here which is easier and maybe beneficial to some others too.

The solo trip was done free and easy which I spent 3 days in Budapest before taking an overnight train to Belgrade, Serbia.

It's rather easy to get around in Budapest, the 3 well connected metro lines cover most of the interesting places. Food wise is good and inexpensive when compare to western Europe. Not much barrier in Language as most Hungarians speak English.

I find the place to be safe enough to wander around alone even near midnight but I do heard of petty crimes against tourists (like the same everywhere else...duh), so I suppose you should be ok if you stay alert.

Interesting places like;
Central Market Hall, around central Pest, Gellért Hill, Buda Castle and Castle Hill, Széchenyi Chain Bridge, St. Stephen’s Basilica, Heroes’ Square and Vajdahunyad Castle, Children’s Railways etc

More pictures of the trip can be found here - http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/hungary/

bberry

Reaction score
bro,
how did u go to krakow? and from where u go to krakow from?

or is it possible to post yr whole trip itinerary?

wanderlex

Reaction score
bro,
how did u go to krakow? and from where u go to krakow from?

or is it possible to post yr whole trip itinerary?

Hi bro, I didn't visit Krakow on this same trip, it was on another trip. As for this trip itinerary;

D01 Budapest (http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/budapest/)
D02 Budapest
D03 Budapest
D04 Belgrade (http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/belgrade/)
D05 Kotor/ Dubrovnik (http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/kotor/) & (http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/dubrovnik/)
D06 Dubrovnik
D07 Dubrovnik/ Plitvice lakes
D08 Plitvice lakes/ Zagreb
D09 Ljubljana
D10 Ljubljana
D11 Munich
D12 Munich
D13 Munich
D14 Vienna
D15 Vienna
D16 Prague
D17 Prague
D18 Prague

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bro, I didn't visit Krakow on this same trip, it was on another trip. As for this trip itinerary;

D01 Budapest (http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/budapest/)
D02 Budapest
D03 Budapest
D04 Belgrade (http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/belgrade/)
D05 Kotor/ Dubrovnik (http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/kotor/) & (http://www.wanderlex.com/tag/dubrovnik/)
D06 Dubrovnik
D07 Dubrovnik/ Plitvice lakes
D08 Plitvice lakes/ Zagreb
D09 Ljubljana
D10 Ljubljana
D11 Munich
D12 Munich
D13 Munich
D14 Vienna
D15 Vienna
D16 Prague
D17 Prague
D18 Prague

Amazing photos..

Curious to know how much you spent for everything for your 18Days Europe trip? Thanks ya.

wanderlex

Reaction score
Amazing photos..

Curious to know how much you spent for everything for your 18Days Europe trip? Thanks ya.

Thanks a lot.

I am bad with my travel budget, what I see from my estimated cost plan came to be around 3.8k plus minus inclusive of flights & trains. That exclude daily expenses which I usually set aside around 80-100 Euro.

The big bulk of my expenses were the flights (1.2k) and hotels (1.9k). I am more of a hotel person...and that's killing my budget... :sad:

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot.

I am bad with my travel budget, what I see from my estimated cost plan came to be around 3.8k plus minus inclusive of flights & trains. That exclude daily expenses which I usually set aside around 80-100 Euro.

The big bulk of my expenses were the flights (1.2k) and hotels (1.9k). I am more of a hotel person...and that's killing my budget... :sad:

woah, 80-100 euros/day... :eek:

wanderlex

Reaction score
woah, 80-100 euros/day... :eek:

That daily budget is overkill in Budapest, Belgrade, Kotor, Dubrovnik and Zagreb - good, save money. But when in Munich especially Vienna the budget dried up very quickly, Prague still not so bad. Please note the daily budget pays for entrance fee and what not expenses...

I just cater daily expenses like that so I don't need to keep thinking how much to bring/exchange. Most of the time I have leftover Euros which I will just keep and use for the next trip.

Last edited:

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bro, some questions on Italy. I'll be in Italy for about 11 nights(including the 1st night as I arrive Milan at 9.30pm). Flying in to Milan, flying out from Rome.

So I'll spend the next full day at Milan exploring the sights, then next morning will take a train/bus to Venice

2 nights in Venice(or should I do 1?)

train to Cinque Terre for 2 nights

then to Florence for 2 nights

then to Rome(+ Vatican City) for 4 nights

Is this a good allocation of days? We're not into museums, and are quite fit so can 'chiong' and see more in a day. Want to have some nice Italian food too

I also read how you can buy tickets for the regional train on the spot which are really cheap? Any experience with this? Trying to travel as cheaply as possible.

With regards to accommodation in Venice, should I stay in Venice itself? We will probably Airbnb(though seems a little pricey in Venice compared to other cities).

Thanks!

Last edited:

wanderlex

Reaction score
Hi bro, some questions on Italy. I'll be in Italy for about 11 nights(including the 1st night as I arrive Milan at 9.30pm). Flying in to Milan, flying out from Rome.

So I'll spend the next full day at Milan exploring the sights, then next morning will take a train/bus to Venice

2 nights in Venice(or should I do 1?)

train to Cinque Terre for 2 nights

then to Florence for 2 nights

then to Rome(+ Vatican City) for 4 nights

Is this a good allocation of days? We're not into museums, and are quite fit so can 'chiong' and see more in a day. Want to have some nice Italian food too

I also read how you can buy tickets for the regional train on the spot which are really cheap? Any experience with this? Trying to travel as cheaply as possible.

With regards to accommodation in Venice, should I stay in Venice itself? We will probably Airbnb(though seems a little pricey in Venice compared to other cities).

Thanks!

Hi bro, congrats to your oncoming trip!

MILAN: There isn’t really much going on in Milan for me but each to his own in this case…Milan Duomo is really one place which you should go and feel the pulse of Italy’s economic powerhouse around that area. If high end fashion is your thing, you can head the area around Via Montenapoleone (I cheapo…only go outlets). Or consider taking a train to the scenic Lake Como?

Given your last minute schedule, unlikely you will be able to buy the ‘normal’ ticket to see the Last Supper. Unless you don’t mind paying for a guided tour which includes some other attractions too (normal ticket is 8 Euro whereas tour one will be 30 to 50 Euro!), you can try your luck at the official website here nevertheless.
http://www.vivaticket.it/index.php?nvpg[tour]&id=744&wms_op=cenacoloVinciano

VENICE: 2 nights is good space of time but of course 1 night is possible too but you must really know what you want to see. Because finding where you want to go is one thing, doing that with loads of people around is another (picture yourself in a crowded MRT train cabin). If 2 nights, then spending 1 day getting lost in the streets and the other maybe to nearby island like Burano or Murano. Food wise, I find the restaurants here to be way overpriced and err…touristy so it’s really a hit or miss. The pizza in Venice is the cheaper makan option, not-Napoli-goodie-good type but good enough.

Things are a little cheaper when away from the main island. Dessert wise, this has proven to be good for me.
http://www.wanderlex.com/gem-in-pasticceria-rio-marin/

CINQUE TERRE: Similarly, 2 nights is nice too unless you intend to hike a lot over here. I suppose most likely you will be doing village-hopping, just buy Cinque Terre Card for unlimited train ride once you reach the La Spezia station. I love the scenic place to bits but the tour groups coming in from every direction made my experience a little less stellar. But no doubt this is a really beautiful place and definitely must-see.

FLORENCE: Do you intend to just explore Florence only and not any of the nearby town or city? Shopping?

ROME: 4 nights in Rome + Vatican will definitely be enough, prepare for lots of walking from Colosseum onwards. I may cut 1 day here to add another in Florence but it really depends on what you want to see.

Usually the cheaper long distance train tickets (Super Economy) will be on sales around 60 days in advance and ticket price from Florence to Rome will be only around 19 Euro. But usually they are snapped up very fast. If regional trains then I think the price seems to be the same, advance purchase or not…

Yes, EVERYTHING in Venice is expensive. I had stayed both outside and in Venice during different trips there, what I can say is the lodging outside the main island, say Venezia Mestre area will be cheaper and rooms are modern + bigger + newer, most accommodation inside Venice main island will be small (or cozy LOL). It’s easy on transport too because of the frequent trains or buses heading to Venice. The thing I like about staying in Venice’s main island is when the crowd disappears at night, it becomes so quiet (even most Italians don’t stay here) and the street lamps and the rivers combination make it a wonderful experience to stroll.

Last edited:

klavier

Reaction score
Hi wanderlex,

Just wanted to find out, in terms of cost, how different is in within the main Italian cities for food and lodging?

I am asking specifically for Milan - Venice - Florence - Rome....

Say use Rome as a base.. Are the other cities more expensive or cheaper? Would be good if you can give some examples. thanks.

wanderlex

Reaction score
Hi wanderlex,

Just wanted to find out, in terms of cost, how different is in within the main Italian cities for food and lodging?

I am asking specifically for Milan - Venice - Florence - Rome....

Say use Rome as a base.. Are the other cities more expensive or cheaper? Would be good if you can give some examples. thanks.

Hi klavier!

Here are my $0.02 inputs…

I haven’t been to that many Italian cities like some of the bro/sis here…so I will based on those which I have been to, namely Turin, Milan, Como, Bologna, Venice, Verona, Cinque Terre, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Naples, Sorrento and Amalfi Coast. There’s a saying in Italy that the further north you go, the more expensive it gets. That saying holds for me because Naples pizza and food (even at restaurants) are cheap and damn good. A good meal with fish, calamari, pizza, pasta and beer would be around 50 Euro. Ordering the same in Venice or Milan and price will double while portion shrink. The difference is rather obvious and my daily budget dries up very quickly.

In general, the 4 cities you mentioned are all some of the best Italian cities (or 1st tier cities), meaning tourist magnet aka ‘money to be made’ for business owners there. So the pricing will definitely be higher for lodging and food. But I suppose when we travel, it’s the experience that counts so maybe really have to look beyond price sometimes…not always of course. I mean there’s no need to eat Kebab (I like it + it’s cheap and mostly good) or some high end restaurants every day. But it would be a pity if you head to Milan without trying their Risotto or Florence without ordering that big plate of steak… anyway, that’s just me.

If Rome as base, maybe you can consider heading to Naples aka Napoli for a day tour though I will highly recommend to have a few nights at this underrated city. And Naples/Napoli is a good base to plan visit to Pompeii or the Amalfi Coast. Plus, some of the Metro station has very nice art deco similar to those I see in Stockholm.

Hope that helps…

klavier

Reaction score
Hi klavier!

Here are my $0.02 inputs…

I haven’t been to that many Italian cities like some of the bro/sis here…so I will based on those which I have been to, namely Turin, Milan, Como, Bologna, Venice, Verona, Cinque Terre, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Naples, Sorrento and Amalfi Coast. There’s a saying in Italy that the further north you go, the more expensive it gets. That saying holds for me because Naples pizza and food (even at restaurants) are cheap and damn good. A good meal with fish, calamari, pizza, pasta and beer would be around 50 Euro. Ordering the same in Venice or Milan and price will double while portion shrink. The difference is rather obvious and my daily budget dries up very quickly.

In general, the 4 cities you mentioned are all some of the best Italian cities (or 1st tier cities), meaning tourist magnet aka ‘money to be made’ for business owners there. So the pricing will definitely be higher for lodging and food. But I suppose when we travel, it’s the experience that counts so maybe really have to look beyond price sometimes…not always of course. I mean there’s no need to eat Kebab (I like it + it’s cheap and mostly good) or some high end restaurants every day. But it would be a pity if you head to Milan without trying their Risotto or Florence without ordering that big plate of steak… anyway, that’s just me.

If Rome as base, maybe you can consider heading to Naples aka Napoli for a day tour though I will highly recommend to have a few nights at this underrated city. And Naples/Napoli is a good base to plan visit to Pompeii or the Amalfi Coast. Plus, some of the Metro station has very nice art deco similar to those I see in Stockholm.

Hope that helps…

Thank you.
FYI, my trip plan is like this (order and exact days not yet decided):

Paris (4 nights), Milan (1 night), Florence (3 nights), Rome (4 nights)

I have allocated 12 to 14 nights for the above cities. While I dont like to spend too much on food/lodging, I will also make it a point to try the area's specialty since we are already there..

As you can see, just looking at the list of cities I have identified kinda scares me on the cost lol..
I have been to Europe a few times now but spent most of my time in Central Europe (i.e. Germany, Austria, Hungary). Besides Amsterdam, I found Vienna to be rather expensive as well so hopefully Italy is not as bad.
We generally like to visit cities like Budapest where cost is mild so that we can spend freely without much thought..
By the way, we prefer to spend time in museums and are less adventurous.

Last edited:

wanderlex

Reaction score
Thank you.
FYI, my trip plan is like this (order and exact days not yet decided):

Paris (4 nights), Milan (1 night), Florence (3 nights), Rome (4 nights)

I have allocated 12 to 14 nights for the above cities. While I dont like to spend too much on food/lodging, I will also make it a point to try the area's specialty since we are already there..

As you can see, just looking at the list of cities I have identified kinda scares me on the cost lol..
I have been to Europe a few times now but spent most of my time in Central Europe (i.e. Germany, Austria, Hungary). Besides Amsterdam, I found Vienna to be rather expensive as well so hopefully Italy is not as bad.
We generally like to visit cities like Budapest where cost is mild so that we can spend freely without much thought..
By the way, we prefer to spend time in museums and are less adventurous.

Yes, Vienna is viennaly-expensive while Budapest is easy on the wallets. I suppose the cost will be more similar to Germany when I compare those cities. Paris will hit your wallet left right centre though. From the look of the days allocated, I am sure you are in for another great trip ahead :)

bberry

Reaction score
hi klavier, i think yr schedule is ok. italy is not as expensive as Paris, and the portion of food is huge. for my family of 3, we shared a pizza and a spagetti...more than enough to fill our stomach.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.