HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Pickpockets in Italy

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Master Member

Pickpockets in Italy

How bad is it there? Besides wearing a money belt for valuables and being extra alert, any other precaution?
purpleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #2

Felt very safe when i was there. Just take the usual care can already. I had a pouch hung over my neck for my money and passport. Just a few euros stuff in my jeans pocket.
maxrebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Master Member

How bad is it there? Besides wearing a money belt for valuables and being extra alert, any other precaution?
Don't get them too close to you and carry your bag around with you all the time.

My colleague who goes Europe every year told me. Inside his group:
1. one ang mo girl offered to take photo for his friend, then after taking the photo his wallet was gone. T
2. one ang mo girl hugged one of his friend said wow you are so handsome, then after that he found his wallet gone. Luckily he found early and chased after her and got his wallet back but didn't report to police so have to go very far.
3. during breakfast, one japan tourist left her bag hanging on the chair then one angmo pretend put her jacket on top of her handbag and ask her friends, is this seat taken, they said yes, then she said sorry and took her jacket away (together with the handbag). When the japanese tourist returned, she found her handbag gone and she was crying.

so be vigilant.

I watched Variety show and they advised that do not feed the pigeons as it is illegal and also do not purchase any bird feed from anyone cos they are syndicate.
dleodleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
Master Member

Generally, it is ok over there.
But if you notice any Blacks, be careful.
I was pestered by Blacks there as they attempt to tie a string on your fingers/hands. DO NOT let them do so successfully, because if not, either you will be blackmailed or robbed.

General rule of thumb, follow where the crowd is and when you are in trouble, shout for help.
Old 23-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #5

Don't get them too close to you and carry your bag around with you all the time.

My colleague who goes Europe every year told me. Inside his group:
1. one ang mo girl offered to take photo for his friend, then after taking the photo his wallet was gone. T
2. one ang mo girl hugged one of his friend said wow you are so handsome, then after that he found his wallet gone. Luckily he found early and chased after her and got his wallet back but didn't report to police so have to go very far.
3. during breakfast, one japan tourist left her bag hanging on the chair then one angmo pretend put her jacket on top of her handbag and ask her friends, is this seat taken, they said yes, then she said sorry and took her jacket away (together with the handbag). When the japanese tourist returned, she found her handbag gone and she was crying.

so be vigilant.

I watched Variety show and they advised that do not feed the pigeons as it is illegal and also do not purchase any bird feed from anyone cos they are syndicate.
I have to say that your colleague's friends are very gullible.
Old 23-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Master Member

Thanks for the tips. In Italy, are the gypsies more predominant? In Paris, I had one encounter with the blacks (sorry for the offensive word) and it was a really, really close call. Problem is the police can't do much against them as they are so quick and often work in a group.

Apart from my luggages, my plan is not to bring any backpacks or handbags. Just a brown paper bag to carry water and snacks. Not sure if they will also target this also.

Other valuables would be in my money belt under my shirt. I'll use a cheapo wallet with some money inside but credit cards will be in a different compartment. Not sure if this works.
Old 23-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
Master Member

Generally, it is ok over there.
But if you notice any Blacks, be careful.
I was pestered by Blacks there as they attempt to tie a string on your fingers/hands. DO NOT let them do so successfully, because if not, either you will be blackmailed or robbed.

General rule of thumb, follow where the crowd is and when you are in trouble, shout for help.
Wow, this happened to me exactly. I was foolish enough to trust a so-called "artist" and when I realized he has tied a dead knot, 5-6 of his friends (all blacks) came from out of nowhere and circled around. They didn't touch or demanded anything and after a few minutes, they let me go. My wife was carrying a handbag too. Guess we were very very lucky.
Old 23-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #8

Wow, this happened to me exactly. I was foolish enough to trust a so-called "artist" and when I realized he has tied a dead knot, 5-6 of his friends (all blacks) came from out of nowhere and circled around. They didn't touch or demanded anything and after a few minutes, they let me go. My wife was carrying a handbag too. Guess we were very very lucky.
I went there bout 4 years back. Maybe I looked too much like a student and a poor one, nth happened to us (2 girls). But I always pay $ with the notes I slipped into my jeans pocket. Nvr take out my wallet.
bearine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Master Member

There has been advices to either be real fierce so they won't approach you or simply ignore. Best is to already stay a distance from them.

Anyway, on another note, someone tried to steal from my wife, digging into her pocket while trying to get her to do a survey, same old stupid tactics, but in the end, that idiot failed, because my wife did not have anything in her pockets.

We realised someone was trying to steal from her pocket after a kind hearted local ran to us to ask us to check her pocket.
Old 23-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #10

My wife will also stop and entertain people doing survey or asking for donation. I have no idea if it's a woman's thing or what. For me, I simply tell them NO. Of course nothing happen cause I was watching them like a hawk.
Old 24-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #11

1. Wear a money belt
2. Please don't wear flashy or branded items if you don't want to attract unnecessary attention.
3. Make sure you sling and hold on your Dslr in crowded area to prevent snatching
4. Do not read a map in the middle of the road, some "nice" local will come and offer help especially in touristy area. There are genuine and kind people around but more often than not there are crooks as well, so judge carefully if you want to ask for info. If you must see the map do it in a shop or cafe
5. Be aware of your surrounding in the train, buses and places of interest, and hold on to your wallet
6. Share responsibilities; wife to carry passport, husband to carry cash
7. Don't be busybody and check out some commotions, more often then not they are pre-planned
8. Don't trust anyone on the street especially if they speak good english; now scammers are pretending to be tourist as well to catch you off guard. I only trust my guidebook after all these years of travel.
9. Stay out of dark alley even it is a shorter walk to your hotel
10. Last advice I can give is to enjoy your travel and don't worry to much, be sensible and watch out each other belongings if you are traveling as a group. As you travel more, you will realize that Europe is not a scary as what most people think of.

Travel A Thousand Miles | "The world is a book, and those who do not travel only read one page"
xiaojing11 likes this.
styrx79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #12

I think you also have to be careful at tickets machines at train stations or metro, some of them will hang around that area and snatch your change
/hello. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
Master Member

Was in PISA many years back a group of about 3-4 gypsies surrounded me from behind and try to open my sling bag.

Luckily my bag opening is a velcro type and I heard it the moment they try to open it.
n2btg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #14
Master Member

Nice tips styrx79!

Aside from pickpockets, how is credit card fraud there? Do you often pay normal meals or standard shopping with card or cash?
Old 30-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
Master Member

Nice tips styrx79!

Aside from pickpockets, how is credit card fraud there? Do you often pay normal meals or standard shopping with card or cash?
Basically, check your bank statement the moment you are back from overseas.
Once anything amiss, report to the bank as fraud.

My cousin got credit card fraud over $3,000.

Best is, set your credit card overseas usage only when you are overseas.
It's safer that way.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.