HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Self drive in Scotland

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Self drive in Scotland

Hi, anyone had the experience of self drive in Scotland? I am planning to travel in Scotland for about 12 days total in this coming September. Is it safe to drive in Scotland as the road condition is totally not the same. Now hard to decide whether to join the tour or self-drive. Our local tour, LGE travel, 12 days scotland tour but most of the time is in England. Someone in this forum recommends the England local tour agent, Rabbie's Tour, any other people use this tour agent before?

Thks in advance.
pclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #2
Master Member

I've driven there before. Fun and scenic. What you mean road condition totally not the same?

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT
ashethen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #3

I've driven there before. Fun and scenic. What you mean road condition totally not the same?

I mean Scotland is a cold country and ours is tropical, the road condition may not be the same. I just back from New Zealand last month and the road condition is not the same as here and previously when I drove there. I was in New Zealand 20+ year ago self-drive from North to South without difficulty, but this time, when I first drove, that was at night and raining and the wind is very strong, I can't really see clearly the road as it was not as bright as in Singapore. Moreover, when driving in the morning when I was facing the sun, the sun was so bright that I cannot see what is in front at all, I just drive very slowly trying to see what is in front. ( later I bought a sunglass and it was better ) I have been driving so long and never facing this type of situation before. When I drive in Singapore and facing the sun, I can still see whether is there a vehicle in front but in New Zealand, I totally drove blindly at that moment. That is why I afraid the road condition in Scotland may be different especially if the road is covered with snow or ice then that is very dangerous and I will not know what to do.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
Master Member

I see. No snow or ice on the roads when I was there in August 2016. It wasn't even cold. So September should be still alright. But when it rains at night then you have to be careful because their roads have alot of potholes. So when it is at night and wet, the road becomes very reflective and it's very difficult to see the markings on the road.

ashethen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #5

thk for the reminder
Old 20-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #6

For scenic drive , it is better to plan all your drive in the day instead of night.
Old 30-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #7

Hi, anyone had the experience of self drive in Scotland? I am planning to travel in Scotland for about 12 days total in this coming September. Is it safe to drive in Scotland as the road condition is totally not the same. Now hard to decide whether to join the tour or self-drive. Our local tour, LGE travel, 12 days scotland tour but most of the time is in England. Someone in this forum recommends the England local tour agent, Rabbie's Tour, any other people use this tour agent before?

Thks in advance.
Scotland is a big place and will have many roads for a beautiful drive.
Your traffic will not be heavy like driving on CTE. It will be very pleasant. September is OK. Winter will be from November.

Just drive with care wherever you go. Road conditions are not the same because they will be more windy and you sometimes have blind corners or if its raining they are more slippery. Just need to use common sense and you will be fine and have a good experience

You dont say where you will start from but if you are planning to drive from South of England to Scotland, it can take you about 10 hours or more.
zeejayUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #8

Thks for the suggestion. I will start from Edinburgh
Old 29-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #9

Thks for the suggestion. I will start from Edinburgh
Hey! Which car rental company did you go for in the end?
silvercoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #10

Use Arnold Clark! You can ask for transport from your AirBNB to their branches
darklighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #11

Hi,

I am leaving for UK from 17. Will drive up from heathrow to oxford end the night in sheffield upon touches down. Any advice on driving from Edinburgh to inverness-isle of skye? As i have not driven in winter before, i appreciate advice from anyone to make journey safe. Will do road trip around norther scotland for few days before ending the road trip in glasgow and taking trip to london. As the day ends early, i intend to complete daily driving around 4pm.
anytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.