Travelling Eastern Europe tips

techman03

Reaction score
hi guys,

im going to eatern europe this december.
Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia & Venice

any tips on winter clothing?
tips on shopping?

durachip

Reaction score
I toured Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, and Slovenia last month. Autumn is very nice in those countries. The coldest I experienced was 7 degrees. Otherwise, very pleasant mid 15. Can't advice on Winter, but inland cities like Saravejo and Zagreb should be colder than the coastal cities.

Don't expect megamalls for shopping. There are nice shops in those old walled cities selling souvenirs, chocolates, and good quality leather goods. Beers are also very cheap. Ice-cream is nice too. Zagreb has an outdoor fresh market selling local produce like figs, almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts. Worth buying.

Last edited:

sendtolee

Reaction score
I toured Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, and Slovenia last month. Autumn is very nice in those countries. The coldest I experienced was 7 degrees. Otherwise, very pleasant mid 15. Can't advice on Winter, but inland cities like Saravejo and Zagreb should be colder than the coastal cities.

Don't expect megamalls for shopping. There are nice shops in those old walled cities selling souvenirs, chocolates, and good quality leather goods. Beers are also very cheap. Ice-cream is nice too. Zagreb has an outdoor fresh market selling local produce like figs, almonds, walnuts, and hazelnuts. Worth buying.

Hello there...

Did you face any language issue? Are most of them able to converse in English?

Thanks.

durachip

Reaction score
English is no problem even in the shops and restaurants. In fact, one tour guide was so happy she got a Singapore grp because other East Asian grps don't speak English.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
I've only been to Bucharest and Sofia. Lots of Pizza stands and Retro music in Sofia!

Erwinlow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

How's Bosnia and Slovenia? Which parts are worth going and how many days each?

lcpteck: How's bucharest and sofia? :)

durachip

Reaction score
In Slovenia, visit Lake Bled, Postojna Cave, and the capital, Ljubljana.

In Bosnia, the old town of Mostar, and the capital Sarajevo are worth visiting.

164392237.jpg

Ljubljana, capital of Slovenia

164464998.jpg

The Stari Most bridge in old Mostar

Last edited:

durachip

Reaction score
How abt accomodation? N what is the cheapest way going there? Safety issue? How to commute ard?

Sent from Asus ME173X using GAGT

I think online booking for hotels in major cities like Ljubljana, Zagreb, Dubrovnik, and Sarajevo should not be a problem. If you want a list of hotels that we stayed in during our package tour, I can send it to you. Based on what I observed on my bus journey, the roads are quite good and no traffic jam was encountered. I think a rental car would be quite a fun way to tour the region, especially along the Croatia Dalmatian coast.

We flew by Lufthansa airline with stopover at Frankfurt, but I think Turkish airline can bring you to Ljubljana, with a stopover at Ankara. You can start your tour from there.

164436786.jpg

Island of St. George in the Bay of Kotor, Montenegro.

164541514.jpg

In the Roman city of Split, Croatia.

164532000.jpg

The fortification of Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.