HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[OFFICIAL] EDMW Wet Shaving Club - Part 6

Like Tree945Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #6631

Dont know if you bought already or not, but you should go down to haniffa like another member has said, or swanston at ppc, both sell cheaper than amazon. Also, you may not like the balm like me, too heavy and sticky in Singapore, hard to absorb and because of the humidity i sweat, end up my neck all sticky.

Best to get 1 bottle to test first
Didn't, Ordered the proraso one instead. And indeed Haniffa has nivea cheap. But didn't buy in the end.. Wonder if the proraso or nivea balm is thicker? Proraso working well for me currently.
sohzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #6632

I was thinking with multiple setting, I can make use of the different setting to improve my shave quality.

I don know Merkur 510 is on the aggressive side. Any other option that is recommended for sensitive skin, and adjustable? Preferably butterfly opening?

Is Viking Blades Emperor a good choice? They are made in China?

Chinese made a few butterfly adjustable, they cheap and u can try them out for fun
- Weishi /Viking’s /Qshave
- Frank

read this on viking.
https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum...gustus.564238/

of course depending on lather, technique and blades YMMV.
I do not recommend Qshave adjustable futur clone, speaking from personal experience the QC of the product is terrible. The marking for ajustable is off-centered, the head is not machined well, small tolerance changes or if you mount the cap wrong way round will cause your blade to warp, one side will be less angled and you need a shim to correct it.

Also, the head is very slippery and you want to adjust it, always use a towel to hold the head and turn. I have not cut myself before as the blade was not in, but it was quite the scare.

If you look for qshave butterfly adjustable maybe QC will be better, but seems expensive at 35 usd for the new version. I am cheapo hahaha, i using a baili razor BD191 with the long handle at the moment, good for my big hands and great QC, bought for around 7sgd from taobao, but you can also buy on aliexpress easier. They have a butterfly version which is not adjustable if you ok with fixed and cheap.

Almost every razor is made in china, just a matter of how strict QC and whether is a rebadge from OEM like baili or other companies.

Blades will really affect how aggressive or mild the shave will be, a lot of normal recommendations like gilette 7 oc or astra green, but imo those blades dont work for me, not suited to my skin/hair combo or is not well made. When using with both the qshave in the past and in my baili razor, feels like tugging the hair and skin compared to cutting.

End up i using dorco st300/301 blades from aliexpress and taobao, very smooth and sharp, actually cuts may hair and no tugging. Lasts me maybe 4 shaves before it starts to dull. Not bad for the price
commandowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 11:54 PM   #6633

By the way.. Tried this light aftershave fluid.. Feels good, smells light and not sticky.
bigrooster likes this.
Old 29-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #6634

By the way.. Tried this light aftershave fluid.. Feels good, smells light and not sticky.
Please share a comparison of the two aftershave balms, how much was the proraso?
Old 29-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #6635

Please share a comparison of the two aftershave balms, how much was the proraso?
Proraso after shave balm(Green tea and Oat) - light cream balm. Will feel a little oily like usual creams but if you cool yourself in front of a fan, it will absorb in well. If you cant cool down, will feel some slight stickiness. However, I think it works very well for me in terms of soothing irritation/ burns. Shaved area feels "renewed" the next day.

Nivea aftershave fluid - this version is not a balm, and really more like a fluid. Only used it once yesterday thus will need more time to try. Does have a little cooling effect. Absorbs or dries up pretty fast. No oily or sticky after feel.

In fact, I think I would first use the nivea, then add on the proraso after it dries in a few minutes. I just did that last night. Haha..
Old 29-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #6636

Proraso after shave balm(Green tea and Oat) - light cream balm. Will feel a little oily like usual creams but if you cool yourself in front of a fan, it will absorb in well. If you cant cool down, will feel some slight stickiness. However, I think it works very well for me in terms of soothing irritation/ burns. Shaved area feels "renewed" the next day.

Nivea aftershave fluid - this version is not a balm, and really more like a fluid. Only used it once yesterday thus will need more time to try. Does have a little cooling effect. Absorbs or dries up pretty fast. No oily or sticky after feel.

In fact, I think I would first use the nivea, then add on the proraso after it dries in a few minutes. I just did that last night. Haha..
Seems like nivea men has updated their entire facial line, might try it again bah. You bought this from haniffa?
Old 29-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #6637

Seems like nivea men has updated their entire facial line, might try it again bah. You bought this from haniffa?
They still have their balm version, which I have not used before..

Was at mustafa, $6.50. Can't remember if Haniffa was selling at same price. Likely same...

By the way, the proraso costs $35 at watsons, but I got it during their promotion 2 weeks back - $26.

Can get from amazon.sg at about $22.

Last edited by sohzai; 29-06-2020 at 09:45 AM..
Old 29-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #6638

They still have their balm version, which I have not used before..

Was at mustafa, $6.50. Can't remember if Haniffa was selling at same price. Likely same...
Oh okok i see, yours is a lotion, i didnt know got different kind. Did u see if mustafa has the DE blades in stock again? Is there gillette platinum?
Old 29-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #6639

Oh okok i see, yours is a lotion, i didnt know got different kind. Did u see if mustafa has the DE blades in stock again? Is there gillette platinum?
Haha.. Yes.. Different line.. Since you told me sticky and not suitable for hot and humid.. I decided not to get the balm.

DE only has Gillette 7 OC and Derby extra. Nothing else left even when I check both old and new wing.

Btw, updated above comment with proraso price.

Also, first time using the Gillette Wilkinson blades from haniffa yesterday, they worked very well for me. I rate them good as Gillette platinum. Astra green is a tad bit more aggressive than these 2.
Old 29-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #6640
Arch-Supremacy Member

I do not recommend Qshave adjustable futur clone, speaking from personal experience the QC of the product is terrible. The marking for ajustable is off-centered, the head is not machined well, small tolerance changes or if you mount the cap wrong way round will cause your blade to warp, one side will be less angled and you need a shim to correct it.

Also, the head is very slippery and you want to adjust it, always use a towel to hold the head and turn. I have not cut myself before as the blade was not in, but it was quite the scare.

If you look for qshave butterfly adjustable maybe QC will be better, but seems expensive at 35 usd for the new version. I am cheapo hahaha, i using a baili razor BD191 with the long handle at the moment, good for my big hands and great QC, bought for around 7sgd from taobao, but you can also buy on aliexpress easier. They have a butterfly version which is not adjustable if you ok with fixed and cheap.

Almost every razor is made in china, just a matter of how strict QC and whether is a rebadge from OEM like baili or other companies.

Blades will really affect how aggressive or mild the shave will be, a lot of normal recommendations like gilette 7 oc or astra green, but imo those blades dont work for me, not suited to my skin/hair combo or is not well made. When using with both the qshave in the past and in my baili razor, feels like tugging the hair and skin compared to cutting.

End up i using dorco st300/301 blades from aliexpress and taobao, very smooth and sharp, actually cuts may hair and no tugging. Lasts me maybe 4 shaves before it starts to dull. Not bad for the price
EJ I thought made in Sheffield England
Merkur - Germany
Muhle - Germany
Parker - India
Fatip - Italy
Razorock steel ones and aluminum - Canada
Razorock others - rebadge Chinese
Feather AS - japan

My understanding wrong? They all Chinese?

Last edited by patryn33; 29-06-2020 at 11:40 AM..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #6641

EJ I thought made in Sheffield England
Merkur - Germany
Muhle - Germany
Parker - India
Fatip - Italy
Razorock steel ones and aluminum - Canada
Razorock others - rebadge Chinese
Feather AS - japan

My understanding wrong? They all Chinese?
Context lah bro, i say i am cheapo, even 35 usd i consider expensive looking at the china market. i say almost all for that context, sorry if not clear enough. i also know about feather, muhle, merker. Relax ah, so many of the ones i see online is a rebadge from a chinese oem, see also until sian already. Of course also acknowlege chinese companies that clone merker, like my post above say qshave is clone of that ah.
Old 30-06-2020, 12:54 AM   #6642

Hi if anyone is interested, check out my post in carousel for a brand new merkur 37c. just received this from my friend but I'm not a fan of manual shavers.. https://sg.carousell.com/p/1017070815

PM me on carousel if interested! Cheers wet shaving peeps 😊
HotKillerZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #6643

Maggard 4th July sale

Free USA Shipping on orders $25+
USE CODE: SHIPJULY4
COUPON VALID 6/29/20 6:00PM EST - 7/4/20 11:59PM EST
NOT VALID WITH OTHER OFFERS

-OR-

8% OFF your order!
USE CODE: 8JULY4
8% OFF SITEWIDE, EXCLUDES PARKER, TRUEFITT & HILL
COUPON VALID 6/29/20 6:00PM EST - 7/4/20 11:59PM EST
paul02 likes this.
Landreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:19 PM   #6644
Arch-Supremacy Member

Second yaqi brush came in today.

It comes with a free gift. However, it isn't compatible with my Merkur.

Guess I'll gift it with the sale of my first yaqi brush (on the far left) as I find it too smooth.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #6645
Master Member

Here.. Been using it for a short while now, so far so good

Nice. Congrats.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.