HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Contact Lenses Thread

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #571
Arch-Supremacy Member

In view of the CONFUSION online about lenses. I post this up for all of you.

TO CLEAR THE CONFUSION.

Though there are high end high oxygen lenses and normal soft lenses.
THERE IS NO GOOD OR BAD LENS.
It is whether the LENSES fit well on you eye or not.
Lenses produced by any company go thru a stringent check on the lens production and require some sort of ISO standard before they can sell them.

To know if it fits well, YOU NEED A QUALIFIED OPTOMETRIST OR OPTICIAN(CLP) (not normal optician) to fit the lenses.
LENSES are like shoes. there are different sizes. and you need to have a trained optometrist to fit them.

The first visit would be a contact lens consultation,

--The optometrist NEEDS through with you you ocular(eye) history and ask you on why u need lenses etc.
--They would then recommend the modality of lenses whether its dailies monthlies or bi weeklies.
--A ocular health check would be conducted to see if your cornea and ocular surface is healthy and Appropriate for lens wear.
--Trial lenses would be then fitted. One pair or MULTIPLE pairs may be fitted till a "good fit" its obtained. LIKE TRYING SHOES.
--A final order would be made.

You would then collect your lenses either on the spot or when the lenses arrive.

TYPICALLY. The first aftercare visit would be conducted 1 week after then lenses are dispensed. At the aftercare visit, the optometrist will check the lens fit yet again and take a brief history only you comfort and problems etc. This is to ensure that the lenses fit you well!

THEN they will check your cornea surface and see if the lenses are reacting well on your eyes or not OR are the lenses causing a damage to the OCULAR SURFACE. LIKE SCRATCHED SKIN, the cornea can suffer from abrasion from the lenses.

A new lens may be recommended if the lenses are not reacting well on the eye. OR the lenses may be continued.

FUTURE AFTER CARE VISITS maybe required as indicated by your optometrist.

TO REPLENISH YOUR lens supply, another aftercare visit MUST be CONDUCTED BY THE OPTOMETRIST.

my 2 cents worth
Remember! NO OFF THE SHELF PURCHASES! CONTACT LENSES ARE MEDICAL DEVICES! NOT CONSUMABLES! CONSULTATIONS ARE NOT FREE!
Thanks for the guide
Old 30-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #572

Hi, it is normal to feel that there's something in the eye when blinking for new contact lens wearer?

First day : Left eye doesn't feel anything but right eye does.

Second day : Both eye feels that there's something inside...

Could it be due to wrong size? Sigh, should be researched more online before I went to get my CLs... the place I went to didn't did any measurement of my eyes.

Last edited by theguy1991; 30-09-2010 at 07:43 PM..
theguy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #573

Something inside the eye as in dust or? If they are new lens i doubt those are protein residue. Could be due to sensitive eyes etc. Next time gotta research properly before you buy. Let them understand that you are serious in getting but are in doubt as it's your first time etc. Try getting samples or just get 1 pair to try first before buying a whole box of lens.
screamopunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #574

Something inside the eye as in dust or? If they are new lens i doubt those are protein residue. Could be due to sensitive eyes etc. Next time gotta research properly before you buy. Let them understand that you are serious in getting but are in doubt as it's your first time etc. Try getting samples or just get 1 pair to try first before buying a whole box of lens.
I don't really know what is causing the discomfort. It's a feeling that there's a foreign object in the eye whenever I blink.

I think I should visit another place to advise on it. Anyone has recommendation? preferably from the west.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #575

I don't really know what is causing the discomfort. It's a feeling that there's a foreign object in the eye whenever I blink.

I think I should visit another place to advise on it. Anyone has recommendation? preferably from the west.
hey probably ur solution. what solution are u using? i use opti-free...previously used aqua solo but that one gave me problems, smth like u described.
facadegeniality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #576

hey probably ur solution. what solution are u using? i use opti-free...previously used aqua solo but that one gave me problems, smth like u described.
Using solo care aqua (All in one). I was also thinking was it the solution that was causing the problem, as there was once when I put on the contact lens, my eye got the burning stinging sensation for like a min.

Last edited by theguy1991; 01-10-2010 at 10:13 PM..
Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #577

Using solo care aqua (All in one). I was also thinking was it the solution that was causing the problem, as there was once when I put on the contact lens, my eye got the burning stinging sensation for like a min.
yeah i had the same issue...definitely ur solution
switch to optifree...nv had problems after that.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #578

yeah i had the same issue...definitely ur solution
switch to optifree...nv had problems after that.
Shall try, is it the OPTI-FREE® RepleniSH® MULTI-PURPOSE DISINFECTING SOLUTION? How's the price?

Last edited by theguy1991; 01-10-2010 at 10:43 PM..
Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #579

erm i just had a change of lens brand. using ciba vision now i quite like it. however its for monthly use lah. been wearing contact lens since i was primary 5 so i was worried my eyes are too dry so i had a checkup recently at IMM's optical 88. they gave me a pair of lens for sample. its good
screamopunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #580

Hi, it is normal to feel that there's something in the eye when blinking for new contact lens wearer?

First day : Left eye doesn't feel anything but right eye does.

Second day : Both eye feels that there's something inside...

Could it be due to wrong size? Sigh, should be researched more online before I went to get my CLs... the place I went to didn't did any measurement of my eyes.
Why do people never listen? Contact lenses are medical devices. They are prescribed and not bought off the shelf. Always consult your optometrist before getting a lens switch. Same goes for solutions. Certain solutions maybe over absorbed by different brand of compact lenses causing discomfort on the wearers eye. Therefore, always consult your optometrists and not here NOT ONLINE!!

Also make sure your optometrist do a health check and lens fitting before prescribing you with lenses. A health check is not just checking your prescription. If not he/she is not doing a good job and you have the right to sue him/her.
warhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #581

Why do people never listen? Contact lenses are medical devices. They are prescribed and not bought off the shelf. Always consult your optometrist before getting a lens switch. Same goes for solutions. Certain solutions maybe over absorbed by different brand of compact lenses causing discomfort on the wearers eye. Therefore, always consult your optometrists and not here NOT ONLINE!!

Also make sure your optometrist do a health check and lens fitting before prescribing you with lenses. A health check is not just checking your prescription. If not he/she is not doing a good job and you have the right to sue him/her.
I think I better visit a reliable optometrist to advise on it. Any recommendations? Read from your previous post, you recommended your friend, jiasheng at yew tee mrt(The point optical)
Do the health check and lens fitting comes free if I purchase the CLs provided I recieved adequate advices?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #582

I think I better visit a reliable optometrist to advise on it. Any recommendations? Read from your previous post, you recommended your friend, jiasheng at yew tee mrt(The point optical)
Do the health check and lens fitting comes free if I purchase the CLs provided I recieved adequate advices?
Of cos it's not free. If consultation for contact lenses is free, it's approx 30min per consultation. I wouldn't even sell contact lense. Singaporeans are not prepared to pay for eye care, that's why the service u get from optometrists are all of substandard. Singaporeans are cheap. In my opinion. My friend left. We are all waiting for enlistment.

Your problem could be due to fitting or even the solution. Get an optom to check on it and advise u appropriately. Check their green card. Make sure that they are optometrists or contact lens practitioners and not NORMAL opticians. This way if u get an eye infection u are legally protected.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #583

erm i just had a change of lens brand. using ciba vision now i quite like it. however its for monthly use lah. been wearing contact lens since i was primary 5 so i was worried my eyes are too dry so i had a checkup recently at IMM's optical 88. they gave me a pair of lens for sample. its good
What lens did they recommend u? Did they do a health check on ur eyes? Did they do a lens fitting? (inserting lenses in ur eye and check the fitting behind a device that shines bright light at u). If not ur recommendations were equivalent to a sales pitch.

Last edited by warhunter; 03-10-2010 at 01:51 PM..
Old 03-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #584

Shall try, is it the OPTI-FREE® RepleniSH® MULTI-PURPOSE DISINFECTING SOLUTION? How's the price?
hey there, sorry for late reply...yeah this is the one...cant tell u much abt the price coz haven been comparing other brands since the switch.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #585

hey there, sorry for late reply...yeah this is the one...cant tell u much abt the price coz haven been comparing other brands since the switch.
Young people nowadays don't know how to listen. Solutions are also supposed to be recommended by optometrists. Not here ONLINE. Some solutions may be overly absorbed into the lens and released when the wearer places the lens on the eye.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.