HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Contact Lenses Thread

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #691

Hey guys, I have a box of expired dailies which I've opened. when I went back to my optical shop and ask if I can get a new box, the salesperson told me I can't as it was already opened.

However, she gave me a bottle of saline solution and told me to just rinse the dailies and I can use them as the expiry date is for the solution in the lenses and not the lenses itself.

Just wanna confirm if it is true and if it is safe for me to continuing using them? I probably wear them for max 3 hours per pair usually.
stop wearing them dude. go report that guy to the OOB. this kind of black sheeps don't deserve to be optoms
warhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #692

Actually I re-started to wear back contact lenses cause my specs broke. I will go back to my normal specs once they get the nose bridge repaired. Just curious that's all.

Anyway contact lenses are vanity items. My jobscope does not require me to wear lenses to look good.

Imagine you wear lenses then suddenly a server goes down you really don't get to sleep or even go home unless the server comes back up.Its hazardous for the eyes man.

Its just good to know what sort of lenses there are nowadays so if I want to cosplay or just wear lenses to look good while on holiday overseas I can also. Hence dailys are good because its less hassle while traveling and cleaner too.
bro contact lenses are not necessarily cosmetic items. they are in fact medical devices. with your astigmatism that high, spectacles would not provide you with good vision for long. you can only hope that your keratoconus don't progress any further after you corneal cross linking treatment. Should it progress any further, your next best bet would be to switch to hard contact lenses. Soft contacts would not be advisable because most of them have curvatures that are too flat.
Lextor likes this.
Old 13-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #693
Master Member

stop wearing them dude. go report that guy to the OOB. this kind of black sheeps don't deserve to be optoms
Wow, you mean its not ok?? I've used them a few times. What are the implications?

Guess I will throw the rest away then.
eedwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 12:16 AM   #694

Wow, you mean its not ok?? I've used them a few times. What are the implications?

Guess I will throw the rest away then.
bro, im sure you do know that contact lenses are medical devices. all of them are tracked with Batch numbers and have a specific date of expiry. like drugs, contact lenses have expiry date so as to allow consumers/patients to have an idea when is the "effective period" of the product. It also protects you as a patient should your eye be infected by any microorganism. If you are wearing a "non-expired" lens you are protected legally and have the right to sue in the court of law. If you are wearing expired lenses and you happen to get an infection, I guess the manufacturer would only blame you and ask you to "suck it up".
Old 13-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #695
Master Member

Where sells dailies cheap?
i got bout 120degrees on both sides, not too sure now, have to get them rechecked.
Sherra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #696

Where sells dailies cheap?
i got bout 120degrees on both sides, not too sure now, have to get them rechecked.
You don't buy contact lens because they are cheap. You buy them because they fit you. They are medical devices and not supposed to be bought. They should be prescribed to you after determining your eye health, curvature and optical prescription. Not only the power of the lens is important. I think singaporeans should grow up. Contact lenses are not cosmetic products.
Old 13-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #697
Arch-Supremacy Member

Actually if I really needed RGP Lenses wouldn't the doctor in the National Eye Centre prescribe them for me instead of giving me a letter for spectacles prescription after my cross linking operation?

She said I could go back to wearing lenses but did not specifically say I should wear RGP hard ones.

And optical shops usually prescribe you non toric ones as long as I can remember.

Maybe we are not so advanced a society in singapore to be using lenses as a medical device or rather contact lenses are still viewed as cosmetic devices by most in the market.
Old 13-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #698

Actually if I really needed RGP Lenses wouldn't the doctor in the National Eye Centre prescribe them for me instead of giving me a letter for spectacles prescription after my cross linking operation?

She said I could go back to wearing lenses but did not specifically say I should wear RGP hard ones.

And optical shops usually prescribe you non toric ones as long as I can remember.

Maybe we are not so advanced a society in singapore to be using lenses as a medical device or rather contact lenses are still viewed as cosmetic devices by most in the market.
Most ophthalmologist wouldn't prescribe contact lenses because the hassle to determine the lens "size" is not worth their time. SNEC has a visiting optometrist that handles mainly complicated lens fittings. Also FYI the "prescription" provided by the hospital is mainly done by optometrists. The doctors merely just counter-sign to simplify the processes. Abit screwed up if u ask me.

You are here to ask about why your soft lenses are giving you problems. I'm sharing my views on what could be the problem. So that's my advice I would give. So its up to yourself now if you wish to stickk with soft lenses or make a switch to rgps.

If you're not updated recently, since 2008, laws have been tightened on the use of contact lenses. Even when prescriptive correction is not needed (eg. Aka O degree). The lens is still considered a medical device.

Last edited by warhunter; 13-12-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Old 13-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #699
Master Member

You don't buy contact lens because they are cheap. You buy them because they fit you. They are medical devices and not supposed to be bought. They should be prescribed to you after determining your eye health, curvature and optical prescription. Not only the power of the lens is important. I think singaporeans should grow up. Contact lenses are not cosmetic products.
So are you trying to tell me even if i step into a optical shop and get my eye checked, it is not good enough that i bought from them?
Im suppose to go to some hospital to get my contacts from?

Anyway if its the first, thats what i did in the past, if that is still not good enough, then comments from you isnt what im looking for as im only asking to see which shop offers good pricing for the services im looking in the former option.
Old 13-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #700

So are you trying to tell me even if i step into a optical shop and get my eye checked, it is not good enough that i bought from them?
Im suppose to go to some hospital to get my contacts from?

Anyway if its the first, thats what i did in the past, if that is still not good enough, then comments from you isnt what im looking for as im only asking to see which shop offers good pricing for the services im looking in the former option.
What I'm saying is that. You should only get contact lenses prescription from licensed practitioners. They must first check your eye health before proceeding with lens fitting.
Old 13-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #701
Master Member

yes and that is what i want as well..
so again back to the question..
which shop offers good pricing on their lenses?
or lenses have controlled price so it doesnt matter where i go to?
the last time i went was "Y.e.s" at suntec. I havent asked around yet, figured i get some info here first
Old 13-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #702
Arch-Supremacy Member

A mere consultation does not equate to a contact lens fitting. A contact lens fitting involves the taking of your medical and ocular history, checking of your eye health including staining your eye with a yellowish dye and popping in different lenses into your eye to asses the fitting of each lens before determining which is the best for your.

Did that person even look through the slit lamp (aka biomicroscope, google it if you don't know) before advising you on why you feel the discomfort? If he/she didn't, it's as good as buying off the shelf. A discomfort can also be felt at the side of the lenses if the lens fit is not optimal.

Did he/she even advise you on what you can do with lens wear, what you cannot do with lens wear, when you are not supposed to wear lenses (ie. Flu, swimming, etc) and did he/she inform you what to do if you feel that your eyes are feeling weird with the lenses on?

If there are more nos than yesses. You are not getting a proper consultation.
lucky the optical shop i went does the check using slit lamp... she was young and quite steady and do a check on my eyes..
Old 13-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #703

yes and that is what i want as well..
so again back to the question..
which shop offers good pricing on their lenses?
or lenses have controlled price so it doesnt matter where i go to?
the last time i went was "Y.e.s" at suntec. I havent asked around yet, figured i get some info here first
like i said before. the advice you got online should not constitute to a "consultation". Thus, i cannot recommend the type of lenses you should get. i can roughly tell you that dailies would typically cost about $45-75 per box depending on the lens brand and type. that price is not inclusive of the consultation fee that some optometrists charge.

Just an info for you, if you are the kind of patients that requires >12 hours of lens wear a day, ask your optometrist about new generation silicon hydrogels. they are the "healthier" type of lenses for long hours of wear.
Old 26-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #704
Arch-Supremacy Member

Currently using biofinity with BC 8.6 and DIA 14.0.
Thinking of trying another brand. But then i think different brands have different BC and DIA? How to know if it's a suitable fit with my current eye?

Anyone experienced this problem before?
Old 26-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #705

Currently using biofinity with BC 8.6 and DIA 14.0.
Thinking of trying another brand. But then i think different brands have different BC and DIA? How to know if it's a suitable fit with my current eye?

Anyone experienced this problem before?
Read the old threads man. You won't know which is suitable unless a contact lens fitting is done by your optometrist. Even if different brands have the saame dia and bc they may still fit differently. So consult your optometrists. Insist that a lens fit must be done!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.