Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Hair Thread

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Master Member

The Hair Thread

This thread is created for forumers to provide tips and tricks on maintaining a good hairstyle as well as hair-care.

After i came back from Japan a week ago, I've concluded that their hair is really not over-hyped, it is a fact that in 10 people on the street, 8 of them have great hairstyles.
A great and attractive outlook does not only depends on how you dress, a good hairstyle plays a very important role too.
In Singapore, i've noticed a lot of people tends to neglect putting an effort to take a step further in styling their hair, common style and texture can be seen everywhere. Example for females, rebonded hair is so common here unlike over there, where finding a person with simple type/fully rebonded hair is such a pain.
After observing for some time, i found out that texture is extremely important. Different kinds of styles requires a certain texture. It is defined as dry, wet, oily and frizzly. If you match your style with the wrong texture, you're pretty screwed.

So you may ask how do someone changes his/her hair texture? It concerns several factors:

- Personal Hair-care
- Shampoo/Conditioner
- Styling Wax/Clay/Cream/Gel
- Styling Spray
- Hair color

You might find most factors on the list above is exactly the same as the factors that affect one's hairstyle. You're right. From this, Texture = 50% of your hairstyle. The other 50% concerns about the haircut, the form and shape.

Remember, hairstyles are international trends. Same for food, some people prefer sashimi over fish n chips and vice versa. For example, amercian hairstyles tend to be more glossy and neat type. Japanese having matte texture and twists at ends. Whereas for china is towards frizzly hair. Malaysia girls love to have straight fringes and frizzly at the back whereas Singapore girls likes rebonded hair.
Therefore, opinions can vary so don't take it to heart. The more the merrier, it can show you how some opinions can differentiate from each and every person.

Those who visit the long gatsby thread in edmw can migrate over here since its much easier to navigate for new users.

Posting of pictures of hairstyle is greatly encouraged as it will help alot in defining texture and form of your hair.

Thanks and enjoy your stay here!

Last edited by Ryoshi; 08-07-2007 at 01:25 PM..
Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #2

Anyone knows how to increase hair volume? By nature I do not have thick fluffy hair so sometimes when I have a bad hair day my hair will look ****ty. I heard of some hair wash that can make yr hair look increasingly thicker. true?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Master Member

Anyone knows how to increase hair volume? By nature I do not have thick fluffy hair so sometimes when I have a bad hair day my hair will look ****ty. I heard of some hair wash that can make yr hair look increasingly thicker. true?
welcome to the thread Renaissance

im also a hair volume fanatic when it comes to hairstyling, personally i dont like flat hair as im more used to style using volumized fluffy hair. its much easier and looks more "layered".

for me, i use volumizing shampoo which u can find in sasa in singapore. just ask the salesgirl for it she'll know.

2nd, hair needs to be "cleansed" as in no natural oil must be present when styling, i have oily scalp, so i need to use tea tree shampoo to make my hair less oily, therefore enabling a better styling palette. just can't imagine styling an oil-based hair. lol.

And yes, the urban legend of washing your hair will make hair thicker and longer seems to be partially true. it all goes down to what type of shampoo ure using in my own opinion. Do not use conditioner if you want volume. Push your hair up lightly from time to time gently. Don't pull your hair up, it'll damage your roots.

my hair few weeks ago.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #4

so yandao....
Old 08-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

my hair also very soft and have no volume..a bit thick it will be flat le sian.how do u determine if u have oily scalp?I cannot dun use conditioner leh..everytime use clay+hair spray..i must wash with conditioner first and then with shampoo or else hard to wash off cleanly.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

My hair now, no that's no me.

Best suitable for Singapore's fuck up weather. But needs lots of maintenance though.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #7

how to keep long hair style for guys? my hair is very thick. when it gets long its hard to style.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

my hair is super soft and silky, many ppl thought i rebonded my hair ;s have a hard time styling it
Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #9

i wish to dye/highlight my hairs.
got any lobang?? cheap
Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #10

kimage funan. cheap.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #11

Another question:

I am using Gatsy moving rubber (purple) as well as a normal Styling spray after that but the spray caused my hair to look shiny. Any sprays to recommend that can have the matte finish?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
Master Member

how to keep long hair style for guys? my hair is very thick. when it gets long its hard to style.
Go for a trim once in 2 months, trim as in really trimming and little cutting done, only cut away the "weeds" lol. and yeah, must also tell the stylist that you're planning to leave it to grow long.

frequent trimming can enable easy styling even when it gets thick. cuz most trimming is done inside ur hair, so externally, it still looks like youre still having long hair. also, it makes you feel much more comfortable since theres more air ventilation after a trim.

hard styling due to long hair is because of the thick hair which causes weight, so ur hair becomes flat. because of this, hair "lines" will makes the hair looks layered will become undefined, so most of the time will style till blood boil. >.<
Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #13
Master Member

my hair also very soft and have no volume..a bit thick it will be flat le sian.how do u determine if u have oily scalp?I cannot dun use conditioner leh..everytime use clay+hair spray..i must wash with conditioner first and then with shampoo or else hard to wash off cleanly.
if ur hair gets flat and inner roots get oily after around 6-7 hours, means that you have oily type of hair.

some of my friends they can dun wash hair for a day but their hair is still damn dry and frizzly type. can't imagine me doing that.

bro, i recommend u to try Giovanni's Triple Treat Tea Tree shampoo, can buy at SaSa and Beauty Language. Been using for half a year. Clears off natural oils and residues such as wax/clay and hair spray. Making ur hair clean and non-oily. Can throw away your conditioner liao. lol.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 PM   #14

Go for a trim once in 2 months, trim as in really trimming and little cutting done, only cut away the "weeds" lol. and yeah, must also tell the stylist that you're planning to leave it to grow long.

frequent trimming can enable easy styling even when it gets thick. cuz most trimming is done inside ur hair, so externally, it still looks like youre still having long hair. also, it makes you feel much more comfortable since theres more air ventilation after a trim.

hard styling due to long hair is because of the thick hair which causes weight, so ur hair becomes flat. because of this, hair "lines" will makes the hair looks layered will become undefined, so most of the time will style till blood boil. >.<
What do u mean by most trimming is done inside yr hair? Bother to explain more? Sorry I am a noob when it comes to hair just wanna know about it. TIA!
Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #15
Master Member

What do u mean by most trimming is done inside yr hair? Bother to explain more? Sorry I am a noob when it comes to hair just wanna know about it. TIA!
If you notice how stylist in saloon cut hair, sometimes they will clip your hair up before cutting rite?

thats internal cutting. also referred as layering. layering will make your hair become more volumized, at the same time it retains its length.

after cut finish, they let go off the clip, you can see ur hair become like cotton candy lol.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.