The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
gonna just thoroughly wet my hair with sss then apply gd straightaway! too lazy to go and shower before applying.

Ahh, let's see what you got! haha

feel like giving away my scheme cream but yet i am thinking of using it as a leave in conditioner when i don't style my hair.
just a ruffled look to the heartland mall

Last edited:

Horiv3

Master Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, for this kinda hairstyle, volume top, fringe down.
If you watch the part where he blow his top part to create the volume, let's say if we use the SSS, will it make it even more pong?
Will it be more advisable to just use hairdryer to create the volume for this type of hairstyle?
If were to use the SSS for this, should we spray on the fringe as well?

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you watch the part where he blow his top part to create the volume, let's say if we use the SSS, will it make it even more pong?
Will it be more advisable to just use hairdryer to create the volume for this type of hairstyle?
Yea. Hair dryer will be good for this style and SSS will create the volume and gives a little hold, easier for you to create the style and finish off with a wax.

And yes, you have to spray on different section of the hair including the fringe.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Gaoxing already answered your questions actually. So just to add on a few more words. :)

From the video, you will realize he spent quite a significant amount of time on blow-drying as he didnt use seasalt spray. Not many of us have the luxury to do this and truthfully, sss will help you to achieve the volume (蓬松度)even easier. A few takeaways from the video to share:

#1: Blow-drying is important. Air-drying will not and can not be the same as blow-drying.
#2: If you have coloured hair, its important and vital that you exercise hair care so as to induce shine in the hair. No hair care = no shine and it will defeat the purpose of having coloured hair as coloured hair will be evident and nice only with shine.
#3: Guys should not condition their hair as much as girls do. Too much hair care will make the hair very soft and it might be harder to style. In a nutshell, do it in moderation. Never do something too much or too little. Conditioner will be essential for guys, with that being said.
#4: Its important to crunch the hair and tousle it with your fingers while styling. This is how we further the textured and layered look with the application of styling products.
#5: Hair is one of the most important factors for affecting how one looks. Do it right and you will look good.

Something that i wanted to share after watching. For those who are alr using SSS and wants to create even more volume, u can try this. Style in the reverse way that you usually styled. For example, if you always style your hair to the right, you try styling it to the left and because of this change, your hair will naturally increase more volume for you. But be sure to apply styling products to manage and control the look well. :)

neo1978

Reaction score
many products are made for ang mo..
Like Redken glosser (hair color).... is made more for ang mo cos their hair is not shiny like asian hair.
Like the sea salt spray and other pre style products are meant for fine hair to give that lift and volume, for curly hair to give body. Again, it is meant more for ang mo cos their hair is fine and limp, generally asians (not all of cos) have thicker hair so it may not be necessary. So if you have short, thick hair... you don't need a pre style product.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like Redken glosser (hair color).... is made more for ang mo cos their hair is not shiny like asian hair.
Like the sea salt spray and other pre style products are meant for fine hair to give that lift and volume, for curly hair to give body. Again, it is meant more for ang mo cos their hair is fine and limp, generally asians (not all of cos) have thicker hair so it may not be necessary. So if you have short, thick hair... you don't need a pre style product.

When your hair is fine, it means that the diameter of your hair is smaller and "thin" refers to not having a lot of hair. When your hair is thick, it means you generally have a lot of hair and the diameter of the individual hair strands tends to be generally larger too, but not always. In some cases, its not surprising to have fine and thick hair too.

I would beg to differ on the usage of SSS. Many people mistake the point of having thicker hair to having volume.

Case #1: Thick hair (Lots of hair and thick hair diameter)
When your hair is thick, yes its true that you have a lot of them. People with thick hair go well with any kind of styling products. Proximity of hair growth is high and you will appear to have a lot of hair. People in this category is unlikely to escape from the term "coarse". However, this doesnt mean you have volume too. There are several factors coming into play.

Type 1: Thick and full but not voluminous (pong). This means that your hair has more weight which leads to heaviness. When its heavy, it tends to be lying down due to gravitational force and it will naturally fall flat. So when its flat, there is naturally no volume. People of this type can use SSS too. I myself am in this category. When my hair is dry, its totally flat and there is no volume but there is fullness. So i use SSS to create the volume to complement my already in-place fullness to look even better.

Type 2: Thick and full and voluminous (pong). This means that you got the volume already. Your hair is often sticking out and is almost never flat. It can be said to be untamed too. You often find yourself having to shave the sides very often. People in this category do not see the need to use SSS which is legit as they do not require the volume at all. However, a regular and good haircut is often required to control it well.

Case #2: Fine and thick hair (Lots of hair and small hair diameter)
When your hair is fine and thick, you have lots of them but the diameter is small. In this case, your hair will appear to look soft and having good hair texture. IMO, people who are in this category will look great with their hairstyle and portray a healthy outlook with well growth hair. With that said, SSS is also possible for people who falls into this category as it creates volume for you too.

Case #3: Fine and thin hair (Not much of hair and small hair diameter)
People often associate fine and thin together but they actually means different things. People in this category will benefit the most from using SSS as it will create a full and voluminous impression to others upon application of SSS.

Just stating my 2cents worth of opinions again. Because i recommend SSS to people with thick hair and similarly, it works well for them too. On a side note, I got a fren who dun need to style or do anything but his hair looks like a mane and totally untamed. So SSS will not work or is unnecessary for him in this case.

Last edited:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
When your hair is fine, it means that the diameter of your hair is smaller and "thin" refers to not having a lot of hair. When your hair is thick, it means you generally have a lot of hair and the diameter of the individual hair strands tends to be generally larger too, but not always. In some cases, its not surprising to have fine and thick hair too.

I would beg to differ on the usage of SSS. Many people mistake the point of having thicker hair to having volume.

When your hair is thick, yes its true that you have a lot of them. People with thick hair go well with any kind of styling products. Proximity of hair growth is high and you will appear to have a lot of hair. People in this category is unlikely to escape from the term "coarse". However, this doesnt mean you have volume too. There are several factors coming into play.

Type 1: Thick and full but not voluminous (pong). This means that your hair has more weight which leads to heaviness. When its heavy, it tends to be lying down due to gravitational force and it will naturally fall flat. So when its flat, there is naturally no volume. People of this type can use SSS too. I myself am in this category. When my hair is dry, its totally flat and there is no volume but there is fullness. So i use SSS to create the volume to complement my already in-place fullness to look even better.

Type 2: Thick and full and voluminous (pong). This means that you got the volume already. Your hair is often sticking out and is almost never flat. It can be said to be untamed too. You often find yourself having to shave the sides very often. People in this category do not see the need to use SSS which is legit as they do not require the volume at all. However, a regular and good haircut is often required to control it well.

When your hair is fine and thick, you have lots of them but the diameter is small. In this case, your hair will appear to look soft and having good hair texture. IMO, people who are in this category will look great with their hairstyle and portray a healthy outlook with well growth hair. With that said, SSS is also possible for people who falls into this category as it creates volume for you too.

People often associate fine and thin together but they actually means different things. People in this category will benefit the most from using SSS as it will create a full and voluminous impression to others upon application of SSS.

Just stating my 2cents worth of opinions again. Because i recommend SSS to people with thick hair and similarly, it works well for them too. On a side note, I got a fren who dun need to style or do anything but his hair looks like a mane and totally untamed. So SSS will not work or is unnecessary for him in this case.
i think the words you are looking for is fine vs coarse, thick vs thinning. if thats the case, we need one more case! case #4! (too many cases for you? all these are in lower case if that helps #lamepunjokes) [reread the thing properly and realized the missing case is my case lol. coarse and thin)

>On a side note, I got a fren who dun need to style or do anything but his hair looks like a mane and totally untamed.
>So SSS will not work or is unnecessary for him in this case

actually it can still work wad. who says SSS is all about volume? it can tame flyaways and provide better control. spray and leave to airdry without agitation whatsoever.

Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i beg to differ. I feel that sea salt spray benefits everyone. From asian to ang moh.

However, ang moh will tend to find it easier without sea salt spray because of their hair texture, its soft and less stubborn, therefore easy to create the volume.

For asian, it benefits us more because most of us have straight and flat hair. Fine as well. Therefore with the use of sea salt spray, we can create volume equivalent to what a ang moh have. It's a life saver for asians who wants a quiff or pomo. But of course there are asian who are lucky to have good hair genes so therefore sea salt spray may not be needed.
and generally all asians hair are really stubborn. Once they are down, they won't go up! (i meant the hair)

sea salt spray only works well with long hair.
Short hair where got need. lol short hair don't even need to style, just have the shape there.

anyway most products are made to target the angmoh market what. haha japanese products will target the japanese.

and Chinese and Japanese got different genes as well!

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Me too. I wanted to join in the topic on brushes but i know nuts about them. The last time i use a comb is like 7 years back i think. Let alone a brush. Nowadays just use fingers to comb through.
Lol! 7 years sia.. I just want smth to reach to the roots and style from there. Dun like use hands to do. Now I always using pinky to poke inside, but then always end up with this hold that I can't cover up properly without spending some effort =/ I know blow drying with a brush will be more effective than with hands tho. Ur brush can tahan higher temperatures than your hands mah

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
i beg to differ. I feel that sea salt spray benefits everyone. From asian to ang moh.

However, ang moh will tend to find it easier without sea salt spray because of their hair texture, its soft and less stubborn, therefore easy to create the volume.

For asian, it benefits us more because most of us have straight and flat hair. Fine as well. Therefore with the use of sea salt spray, we can create volume equivalent to what a ang moh have. It's a life saver for asians who wants a quiff or pomo. But of course there are asian who are lucky to have good hair genes so therefore sea salt spray may not be needed.
and generally all asians hair are really stubborn. Once they are down, they won't go up! (i meant the hair)

Short hair where got need. lol short hair don't even need to style, just have the shape there.

anyway most products are made to target the angmoh market what. haha japanese products will target the japanese.

I think you should try using hair straighter. The iron one. Have a feeling of that u cfm find it useful and efficient.

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
haha i got use before. dont like leh. haha my hair won't curl one. haha no need straighten.

:s13:
Not to straighten la! To make stand and give volume. Hair stylist always like to use on my pencil straight hair this way. Always end up with big hair.

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

JH bro, any stylist to recommend at shirelymah?

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not to straighten la! To make stand and give volume. Hair stylist always like to use on my pencil straight hair this way. Always end up with big hair.

then my heat protector will come in handy.

need to buy those thin portable one. haha

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think the words you are looking for is fine vs coarse, thick vs thinning. if thats the case, we need one more case! case #4! (too many cases for you? all these are in lower case if that helps #lamepunjokes) [reread the thing properly and realized the missing case is my case lol. coarse and thin)

>On a side note, I got a fren who dun need to style or do anything but his hair looks like a mane and totally untamed.
>So SSS will not work or is unnecessary for him in this case

actually it can still work wad. who says SSS is all about volume? it can tame flyaways and provide better control. spray and leave to airdry without agitation whatsoever.

Argh yes you are right bro. Coarse vs. Fine (Hair diameter). Thick vs. Thin (Proximity of hair growth). And for the second time, yes you are right too. However, i believe fundamental purpose of SSS is about creating volume. Of course there will be other uses for it too but i believe other styling products are possible or perhaps even better alternatives for achieving that, at times.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
then my heat protector will come in handy.

need to buy those thin portable one. haha

Hopping onto the topic! I got 2 new mini straighteners to sell off too (pink/ White w black stripes). One each at $21.90. Interested bo?

neo1978

Reaction score

okay.. Caucasian hair is mainly finer, Asian hair is thicker... sea salt spray helps limpy hair and put it this way.. pple who needed the extra help in styling. For Asian thicker hair could be heavier, the prob is you will need a wax/styling product that is suitable for you to hold your type of hair.

Actually, I was trying to say generally ang mo products are first made to target ang mo market. Example, Asian brands will not have glosser becos Asian market doesn't need it. I maybe wrong but I'm yet to see one, and most of pple not in the professional industry don't even know what a glosser color is. So likewise, pre style products has a smaller market in Asia.

I know that you guys are selling the products. I just wanna share what i know and im very sure that many pple will like your products. Don't wanna offense anyone.
Personally I would like to try hanz de fuko quicksand but it's out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.