HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Hair Thread - Part 1

Like Tree720Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #7276
Master Member

Bro, you should be the last person to be shocked about cosmetic fluffs. Precisely because there is no standard convention for these terms, so its best not to be dogmatic about such terms. The article is definitely not referring paste to clay. Cant be covering all kinds of products in an article.

The paste in my dictionary is always very liquid. Some ppl refer paste to "semi solid form" too which there is no right or wrong too. Anyway, nigelle clay is totally different from this F4 modelling paste. If you want, next time i pass some to you to try. As usual, i cant finish using it too. Its meant to target females though. Provides heat protection while blow drying and gives good hold. I usually use it to complement subsequent styling products if i want extreme hold for the day due to the heavy weight of my hair.
not shocked la... more like pissed.. there is SERIOUS need for some standard man... AGREE! hahaha

ooo means its more like armino's peace milk. i dont even use it as its supposed to be used =X maybe u can try. i use it like a serum after i bathe when hair is still wet (dayum... now the wet/dry conundrum makes sense, the milk is gross when applied on dry hair). like a tiny tiny bit. feels nice tho XD

EDIT: SEE?? what the hell? milk? like seriously? screw these names lol

Last edited by deaththeorist; 24-09-2013 at 11:40 PM..
Old 24-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #7277
Master Member

to me right.. a rule that always stay.

wet product use on wet hair
dry product use on dry hair

wet product like fiber cream that is so liquid, it will work better on wet hair.

clay, wax, pomade all these on dry hair.

the only thing i use on wet hair is SSS, Heat protector, redken fiber cream.

Fiber cream must always use on wet hair or semi dry. when used on dry hair, hair confirm kena yank out. I tested it. haha

even fiber gel gum will work better on dry hair and re-activate them using alittle water cause they tend to harden alittle. This goes for water-based pomade.

joico i never use before, don't know the texture. haha i prefer to use dry products on dry hair. cause easier to style. haha
hmm.... but still no harm trying i guess. wish me luck ahahaha
gaoxing84 likes this.
Old 24-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #7278
Great Supremacy Member

hmm.... but still no harm trying i guess. wish me luck ahahaha
haha post result!
Old 25-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #7279

#Justsharing some info i came across, hope it helps
deaththeorist likes this.
Old 25-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #7280
Master Member

haha post result!
gonna just thoroughly wet my hair with sss then apply gd straightaway! too lazy to go and shower before applying.
Old 25-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #7281
Great Supremacy Member

gonna just thoroughly wet my hair with sss then apply gd straightaway! too lazy to go and shower before applying.
Ahh, let's see what you got! haha

feel like giving away my scheme cream but yet i am thinking of using it as a leave in conditioner when i don't style my hair.
just a ruffled look to the heartland mall

Last edited by gaoxing84; 25-09-2013 at 12:55 AM..
Old 25-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #7282

Hey guys, for this kinda hairstyle, volume top, fringe down.
If you watch the part where he blow his top part to create the volume, let's say if we use the SSS, will it make it even more pong?
Will it be more advisable to just use hairdryer to create the volume for this type of hairstyle?
If were to use the SSS for this, should we spray on the fringe as well?
Old 25-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #7283
Great Supremacy Member

If you watch the part where he blow his top part to create the volume, let's say if we use the SSS, will it make it even more pong?
Will it be more advisable to just use hairdryer to create the volume for this type of hairstyle?
Yea. Hair dryer will be good for this style and SSS will create the volume and gives a little hold, easier for you to create the style and finish off with a wax.

And yes, you have to spray on different section of the hair including the fringe.
Old 25-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #7284
Master Member

Gaoxing already answered your questions actually. So just to add on a few more words.

From the video, you will realize he spent quite a significant amount of time on blow-drying as he didnt use seasalt spray. Not many of us have the luxury to do this and truthfully, sss will help you to achieve the volume (蓬松度)even easier. A few takeaways from the video to share:

#1: Blow-drying is important. Air-drying will not and can not be the same as blow-drying.
#2: If you have coloured hair, its important and vital that you exercise hair care so as to induce shine in the hair. No hair care = no shine and it will defeat the purpose of having coloured hair as coloured hair will be evident and nice only with shine.
#3: Guys should not condition their hair as much as girls do. Too much hair care will make the hair very soft and it might be harder to style. In a nutshell, do it in moderation. Never do something too much or too little. Conditioner will be essential for guys, with that being said.
#4: Its important to crunch the hair and tousle it with your fingers while styling. This is how we further the textured and layered look with the application of styling products.
#5: Hair is one of the most important factors for affecting how one looks. Do it right and you will look good.

Something that i wanted to share after watching. For those who are alr using SSS and wants to create even more volume, u can try this. Style in the reverse way that you usually styled. For example, if you always style your hair to the right, you try styling it to the left and because of this change, your hair will naturally increase more volume for you. But be sure to apply styling products to manage and control the look well.
Old 25-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #7285

many products are made for ang mo..
Like Redken glosser (hair color).... is made more for ang mo cos their hair is not shiny like asian hair.
Like the sea salt spray and other pre style products are meant for fine hair to give that lift and volume, for curly hair to give body. Again, it is meant more for ang mo cos their hair is fine and limp, generally asians (not all of cos) have thicker hair so it may not be necessary. So if you have short, thick hair... you don't need a pre style product.
Old 25-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #7286
Master Member

Like Redken glosser (hair color).... is made more for ang mo cos their hair is not shiny like asian hair.
Like the sea salt spray and other pre style products are meant for fine hair to give that lift and volume, for curly hair to give body. Again, it is meant more for ang mo cos their hair is fine and limp, generally asians (not all of cos) have thicker hair so it may not be necessary. So if you have short, thick hair... you don't need a pre style product.
When your hair is fine, it means that the diameter of your hair is smaller and "thin" refers to not having a lot of hair. When your hair is thick, it means you generally have a lot of hair and the diameter of the individual hair strands tends to be generally larger too, but not always. In some cases, its not surprising to have fine and thick hair too.

I would beg to differ on the usage of SSS. Many people mistake the point of having thicker hair to having volume.

Case #1: Thick hair (Lots of hair and thick hair diameter)
When your hair is thick, yes its true that you have a lot of them. People with thick hair go well with any kind of styling products. Proximity of hair growth is high and you will appear to have a lot of hair. People in this category is unlikely to escape from the term "coarse". However, this doesnt mean you have volume too. There are several factors coming into play.

Type 1: Thick and full but not voluminous (pong). This means that your hair has more weight which leads to heaviness. When its heavy, it tends to be lying down due to gravitational force and it will naturally fall flat. So when its flat, there is naturally no volume. People of this type can use SSS too. I myself am in this category. When my hair is dry, its totally flat and there is no volume but there is fullness. So i use SSS to create the volume to complement my already in-place fullness to look even better.

Type 2: Thick and full and voluminous (pong). This means that you got the volume already. Your hair is often sticking out and is almost never flat. It can be said to be untamed too. You often find yourself having to shave the sides very often. People in this category do not see the need to use SSS which is legit as they do not require the volume at all. However, a regular and good haircut is often required to control it well.

Case #2: Fine and thick hair (Lots of hair and small hair diameter)
When your hair is fine and thick, you have lots of them but the diameter is small. In this case, your hair will appear to look soft and having good hair texture. IMO, people who are in this category will look great with their hairstyle and portray a healthy outlook with well growth hair. With that said, SSS is also possible for people who falls into this category as it creates volume for you too.

Case #3: Fine and thin hair (Not much of hair and small hair diameter)
People often associate fine and thin together but they actually means different things. People in this category will benefit the most from using SSS as it will create a full and voluminous impression to others upon application of SSS.

Just stating my 2cents worth of opinions again. Because i recommend SSS to people with thick hair and similarly, it works well for them too. On a side note, I got a fren who dun need to style or do anything but his hair looks like a mane and totally untamed. So SSS will not work or is unnecessary for him in this case.

Last edited by leejhong; 25-09-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Old 25-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #7287
Master Member

When your hair is fine, it means that the diameter of your hair is smaller and "thin" refers to not having a lot of hair. When your hair is thick, it means you generally have a lot of hair and the diameter of the individual hair strands tends to be generally larger too, but not always. In some cases, its not surprising to have fine and thick hair too.

I would beg to differ on the usage of SSS. Many people mistake the point of having thicker hair to having volume.

Case #1: Thick hair (Lots of hair and thick hair diameter)
When your hair is thick, yes its true that you have a lot of them. People with thick hair go well with any kind of styling products. Proximity of hair growth is high and you will appear to have a lot of hair. People in this category is unlikely to escape from the term "coarse". However, this doesnt mean you have volume too. There are several factors coming into play.

Type 1: Thick and full but not voluminous (pong). This means that your hair has more weight which leads to heaviness. When its heavy, it tends to be lying down due to gravitational force and it will naturally fall flat. So when its flat, there is naturally no volume. People of this type can use SSS too. I myself am in this category. When my hair is dry, its totally flat and there is no volume but there is fullness. So i use SSS to create the volume to complement my already in-place fullness to look even better.

Type 2: Thick and full and voluminous (pong). This means that you got the volume already. Your hair is often sticking out and is almost never flat. It can be said to be untamed too. You often find yourself having to shave the sides very often. People in this category do not see the need to use SSS which is legit as they do not require the volume at all. However, a regular and good haircut is often required to control it well.

Case #2: Fine and thick hair (Lots of hair and small hair diameter)
When your hair is fine and thick, you have lots of them but the diameter is small. In this case, your hair will appear to look soft and having good hair texture. IMO, people who are in this category will look great with their hairstyle and portray a healthy outlook with well growth hair. With that said, SSS is also possible for people who falls into this category as it creates volume for you too.

Case #3: Fine and thin hair (Not much of hair and small hair diameter)
People often associate fine and thin together but they actually means different things. People in this category will benefit the most from using SSS as it will create a full and voluminous impression to others upon application of SSS.

Just stating my 2cents worth of opinions again. Because i recommend SSS to people with thick hair and similarly, it works well for them too. On a side note, I got a fren who dun need to style or do anything but his hair looks like a mane and totally untamed. So SSS will not work or is unnecessary for him in this case.
i think the words you are looking for is fine vs coarse, thick vs thinning. if thats the case, we need one more case! case #4! (too many cases for you? all these are in lower case if that helps #lamepunjokes) [reread the thing properly and realized the missing case is my case lol. coarse and thin)

>On a side note, I got a fren who dun need to style or do anything but his hair looks like a mane and totally untamed.
>So SSS will not work or is unnecessary for him in this case

actually it can still work wad. who says SSS is all about volume? it can tame flyaways and provide better control. spray and leave to airdry without agitation whatsoever.

Last edited by deaththeorist; 25-09-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Old 25-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #7288
Great Supremacy Member

i beg to differ. I feel that sea salt spray benefits everyone. From asian to ang moh.

However, ang moh will tend to find it easier without sea salt spray because of their hair texture, its soft and less stubborn, therefore easy to create the volume.

For asian, it benefits us more because most of us have straight and flat hair. Fine as well. Therefore with the use of sea salt spray, we can create volume equivalent to what a ang moh have. It's a life saver for asians who wants a quiff or pomo. But of course there are asian who are lucky to have good hair genes so therefore sea salt spray may not be needed.
and generally all asians hair are really stubborn. Once they are down, they won't go up! (i meant the hair)

sea salt spray only works well with long hair.
Short hair where got need. lol short hair don't even need to style, just have the shape there.

anyway most products are made to target the angmoh market what. haha japanese products will target the japanese.

and Chinese and Japanese got different genes as well!
Old 25-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #7289
Master Member

Me too. I wanted to join in the topic on brushes but i know nuts about them. The last time i use a comb is like 7 years back i think. Let alone a brush. Nowadays just use fingers to comb through.
Lol! 7 years sia.. I just want smth to reach to the roots and style from there. Dun like use hands to do. Now I always using pinky to poke inside, but then always end up with this hold that I can't cover up properly without spending some effort =/ I know blow drying with a brush will be more effective than with hands tho. Ur brush can tahan higher temperatures than your hands mah
Old 25-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #7290
Master Member

i beg to differ. I feel that sea salt spray benefits everyone. From asian to ang moh.

However, ang moh will tend to find it easier without sea salt spray because of their hair texture, its soft and less stubborn, therefore easy to create the volume.

For asian, it benefits us more because most of us have straight and flat hair. Fine as well. Therefore with the use of sea salt spray, we can create volume equivalent to what a ang moh have. It's a life saver for asians who wants a quiff or pomo. But of course there are asian who are lucky to have good hair genes so therefore sea salt spray may not be needed.
and generally all asians hair are really stubborn. Once they are down, they won't go up! (i meant the hair)

sea salt spray only works well with long hair.
Short hair where got need. lol short hair don't even need to style, just have the shape there.

anyway most products are made to target the angmoh market what. haha japanese products will target the japanese.

and Chinese and Japanese got different genes as well!
I think you should try using hair straighter. The iron one. Have a feeling of that u cfm find it useful and efficient.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.