The Hair Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i read review pomade is a pain to wash everyday.
not sure if i wana use pomade.

wat kinda wax? my experience wif wax and clay is dat they dun hold dat well for tis kinda hairstyle leh.

now i juz use clay and hairspray.

Not necessarily. Pomade isnt the only product to be used for slick back. Like what gaoxing mentioned, it might make the hair look too flat which isn't nice at all.

U can try GD or Vifa Molding Clay. GD is suitable because its creamy texture makes application easy as well as there is a bit of shine associated with it. SF might be considered too if you hope to have even higher shine, though i never try SF before but i believe it should be pretty similar to GD. Vifa is another option to look at. Comes with slight shine and because its clay, holding power is definitely there. Unlike the conventional type of clay which is dry, Vifa is soft clay (not as soft as Nigelle Bold Make Clay) which makes application easy too. All in all, doing a side comb or back comb with these products isnt a problem actually. Products that are too dry will be not suitable for such hairstyles so if you can find products which are creamier/softer which contains higher level of moisture, then its plausible in a sense. In this world, there will always be substitutes actually. :)

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need new wax. Any recommendation? Just need to hold them up and not keep falling down. Have straight and thin hair. And where can i buy the wax?? Thanks all for any reccomendation

Agreed with bro JH.

For straight and thin hair, it will be better to go for something that is gentle to the hair and create volume. Most wax may not be able to hold the hair for too long and you may want to use a spray after you style your hair to strengthen the holding power.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Pomade isnt the only product to be used for slick back. Like what gaoxing mentioned, it might make the hair look too flat which isn't nice at all.

U can try GD or Vifa Molding Clay. GD is suitable because its creamy texture makes application easy as well as there is a bit of shine associated with it. SF might be considered too if you hope to have even higher shine, though i never try SF before but i believe it should be pretty similar to GD. Vifa is another option to look at. Comes with slight shine and because its clay, holding power is definitely there. Unlike the conventional type of clay which is dry, Vifa is soft clay (not as soft as Nigelle Bold Make Clay) which makes application easy too. All in all, doing a side comb or back comb with these products isnt a problem actually. Products that are too dry will be not suitable for such hairstyles so if you can find products which are creamier/softer which contains higher level of moisture, then its plausible in a sense. In this world, there will always be substitutes actually. :)

like a boss replies!

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you dyed red, it will fade easily. Not only will u see fading of red colour during shower, your towel will most likely be stained too. Don't sleep with wet hair else your pillow case will be stained as well. Blow dry if possible. Try to avoid white tops during 1-2 weeks as it will be prone to being stained as well. All of the above happened to me when i dyed red previously too. This is actually very normal and the colour will most likely stay for another 1.5 months to 2 months or so. Nice colour but not sustainable. :)

Colour stay on for 1.5 months would be sufficient.. Since chinese new year over, but would the colour fade to and ugly colour? I chose magenta red, and i think the salon used l'oreal.. if this information helps..

Some use deep cleansing to make the effects stronger but its basically very hard to retain red color. Thanks for sharing but its actually the first time i heard of red depositing shampoo/conditioner too so can't comment much on that. :s13:

There is very little such product in singapore though other then l'oreal which seems to be discontinued.

I search quite extensively.. And i decided on Madder Root Color Conditioner > Conditioner > Hair Care > Aveda

Which has the best overall review.. Good colour while leaving hair healthy.. But it isn't available off the shelf.
Online:Aveda Madder Root Shampoo 1000ml Aveda - Hair Care Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia

L'oreal colourist is said to leave hair very oily. And is more "dye" then conditioner/shampoo. Therefore if i get this i must get L'oreal and a separate conditioner

Some people also recommend mixing in some real hair dye to deep conditioner diy style..

If ultimately the dye will not be fading to an ugly colour. I will just do whatever i want. But if using sulphate shampoo really does alot of damage to the colour i will get sulphate free shampoos since just nice mine has finished.

And this being my first time at a salon. Beauty really comes at a price.. :s13:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
There is very little such product in singapore though other then l'oreal which seems to be discontinued.

I search quite extensively.. And i decided on Madder Root Color Conditioner > Conditioner > Hair Care > Aveda

Which has the best overall review.. Good colour while leaving hair healthy.. But it isn't available off the shelf.
Online:Aveda Madder Root Shampoo 1000ml Aveda - Hair Care Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia

L'oreal colourist is said to leave hair very oily. And is more "dye" then conditioner/shampoo. Therefore if i get this i must get L'oreal and a separate conditioner

Some people also recommend mixing in some real hair dye to deep conditioner diy style..

If ultimately the dye will not be fading to an ugly colour. I will just do whatever i want. But if using sulphate shampoo really does alot of damage to the colour i will get sulphate free shampoos since just nice mine has finished.

And this being my first time at a salon. Beauty really comes at a price.. :s13:
Hmm its my understanding that this sort of thing doesn't work on naturally dark hair. Have u bleached your hair?

Red loreal is ok one. Few more washes the red stains go away. Some ppl suggest using vinegar and such to help it stay, then got ppl say apple cider vinegar is better blahblahblah. But so much effort to let the colour fade marginally slower, like no point la... Fade faster try more colours faster! Always look on the bright side! Hahaha

LesterQ

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm its my understanding that this sort of thing doesn't work on naturally dark hair. Have u bleached your hair?

Red loreal is ok one. Few more washes the red stains go away. Some ppl suggest using vinegar and such to help it stay, then got ppl say apple cider vinegar is better blahblahblah. But so much effort to let the colour fade marginally slower, like no point la... Fade faster try more colours faster! Always look on the bright side! Hahaha

What do you mean it doesnt work? No bleaching..

If red loreal is still on sale i think i just get that one.. I will not use vinegar, to foul smelling. Haha.. I just want it to last till after chinese new year actually.. I spend $60 dollar i already heart pain. The max i spent on my hair one time was $14 for a haircut.. Dye + Cut yesterday costed me $64.. Alot more then what i am comfortable with.. Just an intern now waiting for NS. :s8:

vinn

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

yeah, i dont want it flat.

will try silverfox for more shine,
hope it can hold well

Xenoxide

Reaction score
What do you mean it doesnt work? No bleaching..

If red loreal is still on sale i think i just get that one.. I will not use vinegar, to foul smelling. Haha.. I just want it to last till after chinese new year actually.. I spend $60 dollar i already heart pain. The max i spent on my hair one time was $14 for a haircut.. Dye + Cut yesterday costed me $64.. Alot more then what i am comfortable with.. Just an intern now waiting for NS. :s8:

I remember seeing some colour shampoo at watsons/guardians. The shampoo itself is actually pigmented so you might wanna try that. I remember seeing more standard colours like brown and black. You might wanna try your luck to see if they have the red version. Or you can try those shops like venus etc. They might carry products less commonly found.

osirisx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing some colour shampoo at watsons/guardians. The shampoo itself is actually pigmented so you might wanna try that. I remember seeing more standard colours like brown and black. You might wanna try your luck to see if they have the red version. Or you can try those shops like venus etc. They might carry products less commonly found.

they sell pigmented shampoo?:eek:
first I heard of this

but need to find the right shade

kampong boi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Until now I find GD abit hard as compared to my previous wax

Even my stylist said so when I let him try it.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Until now I find GD abit hard as compared to my previous wax

Even my stylist said so when I let him try it.

abit hard? as in? hard to use?
haha. like glue right? hahaha that's show the strength in it.
yes. i agree it's glue like tacky.
but that's when someone uses it the first time.
when you get use to it. it's kinda easy. haha

first time i use sebastian craft clay, wah that one like rock. lol

strezzor

Reaction score
Just my few cents of opinions. If not because of the word "thin" that you mentioned, i will be agreeing with the recommendations that some of the other bros brought up. However, in this context, i wouldn't recommend to get either EBL or GD. Even vantachi clay might not be suitable for you. All three comes with strong holding power but they do clump up the hair. By closely knitting the hair strands together, it is more prone to yanking off the hair. Some might say that it got to do with techniques of application, but when the hair is thin, its better to be gentle to the hair IMO. Find one that is gentle enough yet giving you the hold that you want. (this is also why most medicated products dont hold well; tradeoffs)

Avoid products that brings you shine as it will make ur hair look even lesser and in the event that oily hair is accompanied, products with dry texture should be considered as it helps to contain the oily outlook. Personally, i feel GD is not suitable for people with thin hair but for people with thick hair, its definitely a good product. No doubt about that.

Try giving 90degrees x-strong wax a try. Organic dry wax which is less damaging for the hair. Main selling point is on its washability which is super washable. I feel this can be a better recommendation for you at this point of time. :)

My hair can be described as thin and straight too. And when shampooing, I can easily find 5-10 strands of hair in the lather on my hands. Not sure if I'm dropping hair, my hair is too brittle, or I'm scrubbing with too much force. Currently, I'm using Men-u clay and it's hard enough to hold my hair up with minimal hair fall (1-3 strands) but I always have to finish off with Lucido hairspray. Will be getting PP spray from leejhong once I'm done with the Lucido.

kampong boi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
abit hard? as in? hard to use?
haha. like glue right? hahaha that's show the strength in it.
yes. i agree it's glue like tacky.
but that's when someone uses it the first time.
when you get use to it. it's kinda easy. haha

first time i use sebastian craft clay, wah that one like rock. lol

hard like hard to dig the wax out

true also, maybe the strength hold of the wax is due to the hardness of the wax

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My hair can be described as thin and straight too. And when shampooing, I can easily find 5-10 strands of hair in the lather on my hands. Not sure if I'm dropping hair, my hair is too brittle, or I'm scrubbing with too much force. Currently, I'm using Men-u clay and it's hard enough to hold my hair up with minimal hair fall (1-3 strands) but I always have to finish off with Lucido hairspray. Will be getting PP spray from leejhong once I'm done with the Lucido.

Try to use less force during scrubbing and what shampoo are you using?

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Menu sia! Is it good? Heard good things about them. Supposed to be super concentrated or smth...

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hard like hard to dig the wax out

true also, maybe the strength hold of the wax is due to the hardness of the wax

Actually i dont find it hard to dig GD out. There are many more products out there which comes in drier texture and harder than GD. GD, having a creamy texture, is just alright to dig out for me. These kind of products have to use the hard part of the fingernails to dig out in a outwards manner. Using the soft part of the finger to dig will be tedious actually. Perhaps u can give it a try and after u rub onto ur palms, all will be good. :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yeah be gentle with the hair and it should be alright. And sure, just text me anytime bro! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.