Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Hair Thread - Part 3

Like Tree1014Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #4921
Arch-Supremacy Member

The smell doesn't stay?
Not for me. Though I can't really smell my own hair also but it's non-existent to me.
Old 17-06-2014, 11:48 PM   #4922

Hello boys. Haven't been here in a while..
GX, might need to get SF soon will text you when the time comes.
Other than that, i need some recommendations for a hairstylist.

Budget: $50

Need someone who can speak proper english, a lot of ah tiongs and Malaysians in salon these days, become chicken and duck war -_-". Also someone who can follow hair length specifications, E.g if i ask them to cut the top to 5 inches they know what to do and not give me a puzzled look like im speaking tongue. If its someone good with quiffs even better! I need to get a haircut like tmr ==
Old 18-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #4923
Honorary Member

Salon Vim la. 50bucks ++.. u go mention some blogger got offer for first time I think.
Old 18-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #4924

Go Kobayashi for a haircut, let them use uevo Grey on ur hair for free (kinda) lol
I went koba last month but they were out of uevo grey. Their supplier cant get stock to supply them. Lol
Old 19-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #4925
Master Member

I went koba last month but they were out of uevo grey. Their supplier cant get stock to supply them. Lol
Wah then what they using?
Old 19-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #4926

As mentioned before, I got my hand on a few samples but couldn't do a review since my hair wasn't long enough.

Since then, have grown it out, gotten a haircut and have been putting my samples to use. Which is great because i have a better grasp now of what products work with my hair.

Anyways, here a quick review of
- Baxter's Clay Pomade
- 90s degrees x-strong wax

Been using both for the past week, and even though initially i assumed them to be quite different, they are actually very similar products.

Baxter is labelled as a "pomade" while 90 degs is labelled as an "organic wax". But its actually just marketing. The products are just good ole fashioned hair clays, plain and simple. So I would expect quite a strong hold and a matte, textured finish for both

They both start off as a bit hard to scoop out. You know how sebastian crude/XTAH clay scoops out and the way it feels in your hand? Both products are similar to that in the sense that they start off as hard clays, but they are slightly softer than Sebastian's . This actually deviates from my preferred clays, like Hairbond Distorter and Vantachi Clay, where the product comes out really easy and it is easy to emulsify into the hands. Thus, I wasn't really having high hopes, since sticky clays usually tend to clump into the hair.

Having said that, both products start to show their magic once you have emulsified and spread the products evenly throughout your palms. Application into the hair is quite easy, not vantachi level easy, but you can really feel the texture being slowly worked into the hair.

I like to wear my hair swept back and to the right (aka the side quiff) and both products did not disappoint in styling that.

You know how your hair looks after not showering for a day? Like it has that healthy shine, looks a bit dirty but damn sex at the same time that makes girls want to run their fingers thru your hair?

e.g.

yeah, both products, combined with blow drying and sea salt spray, allowed me to get my quiff looking like that easy. Styling took 15 mins max.

The only gripe I had was that volume didn't last that long. Few hours into that day and my quiff started looking flatter. I had to periodically run my fingers through my hair to re-create the volume.

However, that's fine. I find too strong of a hold to give "helmet hair" and I like a bit of pliabilty to show off my hair character and texture (thats why Gold digger is still the gold standard for me ...ok maybe GD can be less heavy, but nothing is perfect)

In conclusion, both products received 2 thumbs up from me. Between the two, I give the edge to 90 degs because its a bit easier to apply and has a slightly stronger hold. However, Baxter's Clay Pomade has a way better scent (it has dat herbal masculine minty smell). On the other hand, 90 degrees smells like cooking oil, and it is a bit off putting initially, but the smell died down over the day.

Keep in mind though that 90 degs is only $18.90 for a decent sized jar. Baxter is $32 for the same amount.

I also got a bit of Sliverfox last night (Thanks, you know who you are) and will write a quick review in the coming weeks.
Edit Suits Co. likes this.

Last edited by dj_flame; 19-06-2014 at 09:14 AM..
Old 19-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #4927
Supremacy Member

Tried the gatsby hair jam, the blue color one over the weekend in kl. actually quite good, except that washing out is a beach, and leaves my hair with the clump tgt, squeaky feel.
Old 19-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #4928
Arch-Supremacy Member

You know how your hair looks after not showering for a day? Like it has that healthy shine, looks a bit dirty but damn sex at the same time that makes girls want to run their fingers thru your hair?

e.g.
I know how it looks n it's nothing like this ang mo dude!

And i think this pic looks like a model photoshoot and was not taken at the end of his day either! Haha
Old 19-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #4929

But but that texture....

Haha was just trying to emphasize the "dirtyness" that the two products reviewed can give. We with chinese hair must find a way to get that ang moh look mah.
Old 19-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #4930
Supremacy Member

The smell doesn't stay?
The smell only lasts when you open the bottle and start to apply on your hair. After awhile, no smell at all.
Old 19-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #4931

Hi pros!!

I have some questions on blow drying your hair.

I am currently using hairbond shaper. Do you blow dry your hair after you apply the product or before you apply the product? What is the difference between the two?

I have heard that sea salt spray does bring volume to your hair. What does sea salt spray actually do? Thinking of getting one

Thank you for your information!
Old 19-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #4932

Hi pros!!

I have some questions on blow drying your hair.

I am currently using hairbond shaper. Do you blow dry your hair after you apply the product or before you apply the product? What is the difference between the two?

I have heard that sea salt spray does bring volume to your hair. What does sea salt spray actually do? Thinking of getting one

Thank you for your information!
You need to find out what works for you. Personally, I prefer blow drying first.

SSS works for you if your hair is flat and you want to add some volume. For me, there was no difference whether I used it or not because my hair is generally thick. Hope that helps.
Old 19-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #4933
Arch-Supremacy Member

But but that texture....

Haha was just trying to emphasize the "dirtyness" that the two products reviewed can give. We with chinese hair must find a way to get that ang moh look mah.
Haha yep, his facial hair looks softer and more manageable than my sides lor!

Anyway, tks for review n can trust u to gpgt since u sexposed urself several times alrd

Last edited by All in a Day; 19-06-2014 at 10:45 AM..
Old 19-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #4934

Anyway, tks for review n can trust u to gpgt since u sexposed urself several times alrd
Oh shyt. Please dont use my pics for no good.
Old 19-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #4935

selling my quicksand!

Selling off my quicksand! Used less than 10 times for 15 bucks, meet up at serangoon/ ang mo kio anybody wants??
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.