The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Powermade is piece of crap, worst then modify pomade. Too creamy, more like conditioning leave on then any decent styling product. And they recycled the gold digger scent MF

it's made for guys with longer hair la.
not for the typical standard issue hairstyle.

its advertised as light hold what

what you expect from that lol

djoker

Reaction score
Rmb reading that that a few kakis here have tried O'Douds water based. Heard some good things.. How is it ah?

Yeah it was me that posted a review on odouds water based before in this thread. I would call it a hybrid product (wb and ob properties). Usually most wb in the market are actually gel types and they make your hair hard and crispy when they dry up which I absolutely hate coz you cant restyle without water activation. OD WB keeps your hair soft and the hold is surprisingly strong for a pomade of this type especially in our hot humid weather here. That said, YMMV so don't take my word totally. Also, Your hair is more lightweight and can be restyled eithout water activation. Downside is that need shampoo to wash off totally. Washing with water still leaves some waxy feeling in your hair but then again sg weather so hot, i wash my hair with shampoo + condi every night. Of course if you want the waxy buildup then just rinse hair with water at night la but thats not my style. Hope this helps.

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha sorry just jumping in, im also asking for these 3 clay.

My hair is medium length.

Sent from me using GAGT

What are you looking for e.g. holding strength, creating volume etc?

Textured-Style-e1448555570798.jpg

something similar to above.
for my hair length currently 3 to 4 inch

You can consider either E.B.L Taste Matt Finish Hair Clay or K-Clay Hard Floral Hair Clay but K-Clay Hard Floral Hair Clay has a bit of shine.

Ted100

Reaction score
Hi guys

I asked this a few pages back but didn't get a reply, so trying again =)

What's similar to the American Crew Defining Paste in terms of hold (medium) and shine (low), but better at washing off? I was looking at Shear Revival Crystal Lake, Daimon Barber no. 1 or (no.3 or 4) and Morris Motley.

nichsong

Reaction score
Tried Carter Supply's Flux again today after awhile, and gotta say that I fell in love with it all over again. Did my usual routine of pre-styling SSS followed up with Flux. Just the right amount of hold and is super lightweight - great for those with fine, soft hair. GX bro you need to bring this in!

nichsong

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up man! Was contemplating getting it for awhile but was reading that its a little more on the difficult side to wash out (completely in one shampoo, that is). That was kind of a deterrent for me as I have fine soft hair, and as such I can't afford to have any buildup as it weighs my hair down. Do understand that its the first unorthodox water based that led to products like crystal lake etc haha.. I'll KIV for this one. Thanks for the time taken to write a review man!

Yeah it was me that posted a review on odouds water based before in this thread. I would call it a hybrid product (wb and ob properties). Usually most wb in the market are actually gel types and they make your hair hard and crispy when they dry up which I absolutely hate coz you cant restyle without water activation. OD WB keeps your hair soft and the hold is surprisingly strong for a pomade of this type especially in our hot humid weather here. That said, YMMV so don't take my word totally. Also, Your hair is more lightweight and can be restyled eithout water activation. Downside is that need shampoo to wash off totally. Washing with water still leaves some waxy feeling in your hair but then again sg weather so hot, i wash my hair with shampoo + condi every night. Of course if you want the waxy buildup then just rinse hair with water at night la but thats not my style. Hope this helps.

nichsong

Reaction score
Hey buddy, I haven't actually tried out the American Crew defining paste so I can't really give you an informed opinion. But based on your description on how the product works, I'd say that Morris Motley would probably be the safest choice. I have tried out the Treatment Styling Balm myself and that stuff is really good, it allows enough flexibility for u to move your hair how u want it. Hold wise I'd rate it as a high medium to Strong hold product that is long lasting.

To add, I've also tried out crystal lake and found it to be more of a light-medium hold, medium shine product. It didn't wash out easily and I personally feel that it ain't suitable for our weather :( Haven't tried out Daimon Barber 1 and 3. Daimon Barber 4 I have tried, and I think its a decent product. But its a matte finish though. Between Morris and Daimin No 4 tho, I'd rate Morris higher.

Also, you mentioned low shine, just in case you're not referring to a matte product - In that case you might want to take a look at Morris Motley Chrome, which apparently works just the same as the TSB, only difference is that it has a touch of shine.

Anws if you want, you can get Morris Motley products from Hair Broducts

Hope this helps!

Hi guys

What's similar to the American Crew Defining Paste in terms of hold (medium) and shine (low), but better at washing off? I was looking at Shear Revival Crystal Lake, Daimon Barber no. 1 or (no.3 or 4) and Morris Motley.

djoker

Reaction score
Hey buddy, I haven't actually tried out the American Crew defining paste so I can't really give you an informed opinion. But based on your description on how the product works, I'd say that Morris Motley would probably be the safest choice. I have tried out the Treatment Styling Balm myself and that stuff is really good, it allows enough flexibility for u to move your hair how u want it. Hold wise I'd rate it as a high medium to Strong hold product that is long lasting.

To add, I've also tried out crystal lake and found it to be more of a light-medium hold, medium shine product. It didn't wash out easily and I personally feel that it ain't suitable for our weather :( Haven't tried out Daimon Barber 1 and 3. Daimon Barber 4 I have tried, and I think its a decent product. But its a matte finish though. Between Morris and Daimin No 4 tho, I'd rate Morris higher.

Also, you mentioned low shine, just in case you're not referring to a matte product - In that case you might want to take a look at Morris Motley Chrome, which apparently works just the same as the TSB, only difference is that it has a touch of shine.

Anws if you want, you can get Morris Motley products from Hair Broducts

Hope this helps!

I alternate between MM Chrome and O'Doud's Water-based to style my hair. MM Chrome is sick, god-sent if I can say. The hold is just great and your hair remains lightweight and soft throughout the day, hard to find such a combi. And as what @nichsong said earlier, Chrome is the 'shine' version of Balm.

I've just finished my jar of Daimon Barber No.1. I think in terms of orthodoxed gel-type pomades, it is the most balanced one. Yes it doesn't have the strongest hold that you expect from gel-type pomades but it also does not harden up much during the day which is what I prefer over having strong hold. In terms of shine, it starts off relatively shiny and then mattes out gradually over the day. Plus the scent is amazing for this pomade, haha, I might buy another jar of this soon to rotate with my MM Chrome and OD WB.

I also used AC Defining Paste before, didn't work well for me at all, maybe I used it wrong or something. Still got half a tub of AC Defining Paste here at home...

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried Carter Supply's Flux again today after awhile, and gotta say that I fell in love with it all over again. Did my usual routine of pre-styling SSS followed up with Flux. Just the right amount of hold and is super lightweight - great for those with fine, soft hair. GX bro you need to bring this in!

totally forgot about it. soon soon.
i have other new (old) products coming in soon.

carter supply will be on the list, probably in Sep or Oct.
I love the flux myself.

how about the elevate? anyone?

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Medium hold and low shine, i would say go for morris motley treatment balm.
more than enough hold for you and its easy to use.
low shine as well.

another alternative will be carter supply flux
strong hold with a matte finish

by vilain dynamite clay would work well for you as well

Feel like trying bb90. Hand itchy lol how is it compared to a wax?

its more of a more milky, creamy paste.

it tends to harden after awhile but got a good amount of hold to last the day.

too bad i am all sold out and blind barber isn't getting back to our local distro for restocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.