HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Hair Thread - Part 4

Like Tree1338Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #6781

Also, not sure if I'll get shot to death by asking this, but what's everyone's opinion of Gatsby Moving Rubber?
It works but it's a bitch to emulsify and apply, as well as wash off. I get the feeling long term use makes my hair unhealthier? (might be a placebo effect)

Thanks for answering my questions guys.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #6782

Bb90 is a pomade? How's the hold and shine?
It's marketed as a pomade, but in actuality it's just a insanely sticky cream wax with high hold and a natural matte finish.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #6783
Supremacy Member

[QUOTE=kosongice;101256310]Pomades are usually for those slicked back type right? If I'm going for other looks a wax/clay would work better? Any brands to recommend?

Also, not sure if I'll get shot to death by asking this, but what's everyone's opinion of Gatsby Moving Rubber?

Old 09-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #6784
Great Supremacy Member

Bb90 is a pomade? How's the hold and shine?
It's like a cream. Not pomade texture
Old 09-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #6785
Great Supremacy Member

Pomades are usually for those slicked back type right? If I'm going for other looks a wax/clay would work better? Any brands to recommend?

You're already dead to us lol
Old 09-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #6786

Pomade is kind of a really loose term now since the word itself is an "in" thing. It's the whole package consisting of gentlemen barbershops + dapper haircuts + pomade + old school that is in trend now, hence the word has stuck. But in actual fact, most of these pomades advertised are essentially clays, waxes and creams. For example, Baxter of California's Clay Pomade is a clay, not a pomade imo. It's just the marketing and advertising part of things to fit the current trend. A traditional pomade is typically petroleum based, and provides a high hold and shine. Although you can find many water based variants nowadays.. so yep! Loosely used term.

As for Gatsby Moving Rubber.. I guess everyone more or less started with these so can't blame haha. But honestly they are really difficult to wash off for starters, and in terms of quality of ingredients, they can't match up to the brands which are commonly discussed here. I'd say almost any brand of hair product being discussed here would beat Gatsby products any day. Haha I think everyone would agree!

Pomades are usually for those slicked back type right? If I'm going for other looks a wax/clay would work better? Any brands to recommend?

cherryboom likes this.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #6787
Arch-Supremacy Member

[QUOTE=kosongice;101256310]Pomades are usually for those slicked back type right? If I'm going for other looks a wax/clay would work better? Any brands to recommend?

Old 09-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #6788
High Supremacy Member

Pomade is kind of a really loose term now since the word itself is an "in" thing. It's the whole package consisting of gentlemen barbershops + dapper haircuts + pomade + old school that is in trend now, hence the word has stuck. But in actual fact, most of these pomades advertised are essentially clays, waxes and creams. For example, Baxter of California's Clay Pomade is a clay, not a pomade imo. It's just the marketing and advertising part of things to fit the current trend. A traditional pomade is typically petroleum based, and provides a high hold and shine. Although you can find many water based variants nowadays.. so yep! Loosely used term.

As for Gatsby Moving Rubber.. I guess everyone more or less started with these so can't blame haha. But honestly they are really difficult to wash off for starters, and in terms of quality of ingredients, they can't match up to the brands which are commonly discussed here. I'd say almost any brand of hair product being discussed here would beat Gatsby products any day. Haha I think everyone would agree!
I see, thanks! I'm just venturing out of off the shelves products for now, anything you'd recommend in the $20-30 price points? Preferably accessible in shops locally. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #6789
High Supremacy Member

How would you guys rate Uppercut wax? Looking for a change to my regular Gatsby. Doing kind of a mini makeover lol.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #6790
High Supremacy Member

Just went to have a look. Anyone with recommendations for any of these? Looking for a change from my Gatsby products. I'm NOT doing a slicked back look.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #6791
Arch-Supremacy Member

[QUOTE=kosongice;101259329]How would you guys rate Uppercut wax? Looking for a change to my regular Gatsby. Doing kind of a mini makeover lol.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #6792
Arch-Supremacy Member

It depends on the product, really.

Traditional pomades are oilbased, and also their water-based variant

Old 09-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #6793
Great Supremacy Member

I see, thanks! I'm just venturing out of off the shelves products for now, anything you'd recommend in the $20-30 price points? Preferably accessible in shops locally. Thanks!
what style are you looking to do?
Old 09-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #6794
High Supremacy Member

what style are you looking to do?
I don't really know how to describe lol. I can't do slicked back because:

(i) I have a very ugly hairline
(ii) my forehead is very high

Usually what I do is to layer and texture my hair to one side lo, then try to add some volume at the top. Basically mimic what the hairdressers usually do after my haircut.

So, which brand is good for a change from my Gatsby? Saw a Hanz de Fuko display case just now.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #6795

As for recommendations, as well as where to get the latest in-trend products, I think you can PM gaoxing84 on this With your budget range you'll defo be able to afford many of the current, contemporary brands being offered. Otherwise I would say give leejhong a PM too. Take your time to explore and ask questions! Both of them are more than willing to give advice and recommendations on what might work for your hair.

Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.