HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Hair Thread - Part 4

Like Tree1338Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #7741
Supremacy Member

lol look no further than the comments section for his video. got ppl say its sexually stimulating. wad. da. fark?

also look no further than further down his feed to appreciate down to earth marketing
obviously posed, but calm and composed.

by all means if such "new age" marketing works for you, u can buy into his manufactured hype and his products.

but just like we all quit (ok la not all, most) using hdf cos we realise our money is too precious to be paying for marketing and not for a quality product, it wont be surprising if within 12 months this thread forsakes MorrisMotley for a more... should i say proper?... brand
Just because they get into marketing means their product magically becomes inferior? What about all the pre-marketing testinonials here theb?

My understanding of HDF is it was simply a average producted buoyed by hype. Based on what I've read here this certainly isnt the case for MM.

Unless what you mean to say that all the people singing praises about MM here before the video are sheeple caught up in a hipster/underground hype?

Lolol. The logic is too strong for me sial.

Old 28-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #7742
Great Supremacy Member

Just because they get into marketing means their product magically becomes inferior? What about all the pre-marketing testinonials here theb?

My understanding of HDF is it was simply a average producted buoyed by hype. Based on what I've read here this certainly isnt the case for MM.

Unless what you mean to say that all the people singing praises about MM here before the video are sheeple caught up in a hipster/underground hype?

With the many times I have disagreed with you, this time I am gonna pass on that and agree with you.
Making a video does not justify that they are soon to be inferior.
And DT introed morris motley to me and I was amazed.
And till today it's still good.
People will be using it till something even better comes along that can beat morris motley.
People are led to purchase a product from marketing. And marketing can only do so much. The product have to live up to its name and what is marketed for.
Consumers are hella smart and once the product doesnt live up to what the company has marketed as, consumers will move away and look for something better.

There are still die hard HDF fans because it works for them.
Old 28-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #7743
Great Supremacy Member

So morris motley is not a proper brand? I rmb DT saying morris motley is like da bomb months or a year back that's why intro to me. The oil is like God sent. Same as the balm.
So a markering video changes everything you said? Plus the products didn't change. Maybe alittle tweaking here and there but it works still??
It becomes new age and manufactured?
As it grows, it will be manufactured on a large scale. Unless you need rob to continue to handmake to gain your approval?
Even it's manufactured by machine, as long proper qc is done and the product is the same. I see no issue there.

Do you expect your guitars/amp to be handmade? No right. Lol
Your pens too? Unless you using quill to write? Haha I thought you wanted to.

Last edited by gaoxing84; 28-06-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Old 28-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #7744
Master Member

Consumers are hella smart and once the product doesnt live up to what the company has marketed as, consumers will move away and look for something better.
definitely... and we all can agree that the balm now is different from the balm last time. whether u feel that the change is good or bad, there is a very obvious change in the formulation to suit a lab produced product as opposed to a hand mixed hand poured one.
Old 28-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #7745

To be fair, marketing is a critical tool in ensuring the success and sustainability of any business. At the end of the day - we have to face it. Businesses are set up to make profit (unless stated its a not for profit organisation), and Rob's brand is no exception.

Logically - A product can be the best in the world -> but no marketing -> no awareness -> means no business -> no profit.

No business owner would want the above to happen. I guess at the end of the day, as a consumer, it is us who decides if the product is worth the hype.

If its a solid product, and well marketed, why not? It deserves all the attention and awareness in order to generate revenue if its that good. If its a **** product but only reason its doing well is cos its marketed damn well, we as consumers would know. And then there's a reason to slam that particular brand or business.

Bottom line is - Rob is running a business, he needs to make money. If his products are solid, they are solid regardless of whether he is taking further steps to market his brand. If, because of the marketing and hype and the product starts to lose its quality, then maybe thats something to consider.

In any way, just my personal opinion. Cheers guys

So morris motley is not a proper brand? I rmb DT saying morris motley is like da bomb months or a year back that's why intro to me. The oil is like God sent. Same as the balm.
So a markering video changes everything you said? Plus the products didn't change. Maybe alittle tweaking here and there but it works still??
It becomes new age and manufactured?
As it grows, it will be manufactured on a large scale. Unless you need rob to continue to handmake to gain your approval?
Even it's manufactured by machine, as long proper qc is done and the product is the same. I see no issue there.

Old 28-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #7746
Supremacy Member

To be fair, marketing is a critical tool in ensuring the success and sustainability of any business. At the end of the day - we have to face it. Businesses are set up to make profit (unless stated its a not for profit organisation), and Rob's brand is no exception.

Logically - A product can be the best in the world -> but no marketing -> no awareness -> means no business -> no profit.

No business owner would want the above to happen. I guess at the end of the day, as a consumer, it is us who decides if the product is worth the hype.

If its a solid product, and well marketed, why not? It deserves all the attention and awareness in order to generate revenue if its that good. If its a **** product but only reason its doing well is cos its marketed damn well, we as consumers would know. And then there's a reason to slam that particular brand or business.

Bottom line is - Rob is running a business, he needs to make money. If his products are solid, they are solid regardless of whether he is taking further steps to market his brand. If, because of the marketing and hype and the product starts to lose its quality, then maybe thats something to consider.

In any way, just my personal opinion. Cheers guys

BTW even not for profit orgs rely heavily on marketing to drive revenue. Without revenue these orgs would simply fold and not be viable. A happy byproduct of well marketed not-for-profit orgs are generous revenues. SIM is an example of a not-for-profit org which is very wealthy.

I just felt the need to clarify that because the end goal isn't profit doesn't mean it is a charity.
Old 28-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #7747
Master Member

hand finished guitar? yes please. hand wound guitar amp? yes please. hand turned urushi lacquer pen? yes please. but all few thousand few hundred.

all i want and expect to own. but dont currently cos too exp for my peasant wallet now.

Do you expect your shirt and pants to be handmade? yes right? u wont wear g2000 one.
Your watch too? even watch strap.

if u can own a handmade car you'll probably own one too.

we all the same one la... here all wish to own premium "bespoke" "boutique" items... but sometimes we are forced to settle for less.
Old 28-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #7748
Great Supremacy Member

hand finished guitar? yes please. hand wound guitar amp? yes please. hand turned urushi lacquer pen? yes please. but all few thousand few hundred.

all i want and expect to own. but dont currently cos too exp for my peasant wallet now.

Do you expect your shirt and pants to be handmade? yes right? u wont wear g2000 one.

we all the same one la... here all wish to own premium "bespoke" "boutique" items... but sometimes we are forced to settle for less.
Exactly your point. Then why are you complaining that they are not what they used to be? You wanna pay $100 or thousands for a bespoke hair product that suit you meh? No what.
I want a GTR. Handmade engine but the chassis is not. So is that a crappy car? Lol

So markering has nothing to do with his product la.
If he's not making money from making those stuff. For what make. Lol. Then we have one less product to choose from. Especially if it's a solid one.

What you're saying is his product is inferior because of one video. (I guess or I may have interpreted wrongly. If so I am sorry)

Last edited by gaoxing84; 28-06-2016 at 04:22 PM..
Old 28-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #7749
Supremacy Member

You know at a certain point there's going to be diminishing returns for hand made" items. There's a reason why we can afford things cheaply and of higher quality.

Nothing wrong with machine made. Do you expect your smartphone to be hand assembled from hand made parts? How reliable do you think hand built motherboard will be? How about hand written forum? Read and write on the straits times instead of an electronic forum run by machines and technology.

Romanticizing is one thing... But there has to be a point where it gets ridiculous...
Old 28-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #7750
Great Supremacy Member

definitely... and we all can agree that the balm now is different from the balm last time. whether u feel that the change is good or bad, there is a very obvious change in the formulation to suit a lab produced product as opposed to a hand mixed hand poured one.
Yeap that's a change but I don't feel the difference. Maybe you're a chemist. I am not. Just a regular consumer who use and think it's just as good or not better.

Even it's manufactured by lab, what difference does it make? So long it works the same. Yes it may not have the bespoke hand made "feel". I don't think anyone cares about it. OK la. Maybe some may feel not hip enough. Then move on lor. Or make your own if you have the expertise to do so.
It holds the damn hair and consumers like it. Done.

But I think you can la. But you need to buy ingredients and make time and effort to do it. But will you?
Old 28-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #7751
Supremacy Member

Put simply, I developed the Treatment Styling Balm to fix problems. Think of it as a lightweight creme, with a stack of minerals punched into it. I hand made the Balm in the lab at Morris Motley for as long as possible until we couldn't keep up with demand. I'd crammed so much into this formula and it was so thick to mix, that for a period of time, it was looking impossible to manufacture! For those that are unfamiliar with the Balm, it is a smooth luxurious creme that is easy to apply, and swells in the hair to create a strong, matte texture that is weightless. You get what you expect. Use a small amount and you'll thicken the hair and have a natural hold that moves. Use a lot of Balm and you'll get a very strong hold that remains pliable and washes out easily.
time to change to lab produced or factory produced...

Last edited by iV3RsOn; 28-06-2016 at 04:33 PM..
Old 28-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #7752
Great Supremacy Member

You know at a certain point there's going to be diminishing returns for hand made" items. There's a reason why we can afford things cheaply and of higher quality.

Nothing wrong with machine made. Do you expect your smartphone to be hand assembled from hand made parts? How reliable do you think hand built motherboard will be? How about hand written forum? Read and write on the straits times instead of an electronic forum run by machines and technology.

Romanticizing is one thing... But there has to be a point where it gets ridiculous...
Hand built motherboard confirm gg lol
Solder wrong means gone.

Anyway GTR engine is hand built and tuned. Not hand made. The engine parts are made by machines which needs to be precise.

For hair products, hand made can be yet another gimmick and marketing. For products to work well, we need precise amount of ingredients. A little more or less of something may screw it up.
Old 28-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #7753
Supremacy Member

Ask Rob to produce handmade one lor. Then upcharge 100%

This way people who hate the lab formula one have an option.
Old 28-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #7754
Great Supremacy Member

He say he will. By then see he will change anot lor.
I rmb you say it's God sent. Lolol
Now DT say it's crap, you think?
Old 28-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #7755
Supremacy Member

Hand built motherboard confirm gg lol
Solder wrong means gone.

Anyway GTR engine is hand built and tuned. Not hand made. The engine parts are made by machines which needs to be precise.

For hair products, hand made can be yet another gimmick and marketing. For products to work well, we need precise amount of ingredients. A little more or less of something may screw it up.
Not a chemist ah, but hand mix and machine mix got diff meh?

I know for clothes and shoes there are quantitative differences lah. But chemicals... Can ah?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.