HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Hair Thread - Part 4

Like Tree1338Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #8371

Looking to try a salon other than my usual neighbourhood shops. Currently looking at gataomo after several good reviews. anyone can recommend a stylist from gataomo that can help me decide on a teenage men hairstyle or any other good saloons?
Old 28-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #8372

Looking to try a salon other than my usual neighbourhood shops. Currently looking at gataomo after several good reviews. anyone can recommend a stylist from gataomo that can help me decide on a teenage men hairstyle or any other good saloons?
just go to red panther barber stylist at upper serangoon shopping centre. cheap and good. uncle ali knows his shiz. i always go there. $9 per cut.
Old 29-09-2016, 12:31 AM   #8373
Great Supremacy Member

Want to know whether im using SSS wrongly. Trying to style a modern pomp(? not sure the name)

I'm currently using Baxter clay as main styling product, and its recommended to use SSS due to the oils present inside the clay itself and natural hair oil.

Thing is, using SSS makes my hair flop after a long day. I resorted to pulling out the Blumaan original to use as a prestyler, and it surprisingly holds up better than using a SSS throughout the day with resistance such as wind and whatnot.

I use the same duration of blowdry and combs for both prestyler, but i want use the SSS as prestyler to enjoy the benefit of not having so much oil to deal with.
blumaan original fixates, SSS does not.

i believe SSS gives you a better pomp
Old 29-09-2016, 12:54 AM   #8374

Question

Hey guys,

Just trying my luck.

Had a good haircut by a stylist called Ray at Hair Movement @ Jurong East last month, but just found out he has changed job but not sure where.

Anyone has any idea where he has moved to?

Do PM me TIA!
Old 30-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #8375

Blind Barber 90 Proof is doing wonders to hold my long hair back.
Old 30-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #8376
Great Supremacy Member

anyone can share with me whats the difference between mm chrome and mm styling balm, other than the matte/shiny finish? is the hold the same?
chrome tends to be slightly heavier.

but really the difference should only be the finishing
Old 01-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #8377

What has stronger hold than this with the same matte look ~???
Old 01-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #8378

MM TSB (treatment styling balm) ftw.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:02 AM   #8379

Hate this one. Takes forever to wash off

Sent from Samsung SM-N920I using GAGT
Old 02-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #8380

looking for advice!

my hair is thin and probably that's why very stubborn and no volume/shape.

i wanna comb a side comb and comback if long/strong enough product. currently about 2.5"-3"

i used gold digger when hair even shorter for just a normal hold, and spike a bit. it does ok, but for combback i highly doubt possible for me. quite heavy feeling.

i bought Imperial pomade, supposed to pair with OS SSS, nv really used it then gave away lol. just didn't seem to work on my hair, turns out very flat and thin like a sheet stick to the scalp, flat scalp look.

i still have that bottle of OS SSS barely used, it says use on dry hair, but i try damp hair with water then blowdry with SSS, maybe hair just too stubborn/short last time lol, like make it more untidy look.

read a few pages, seems like MM TSB is the (only) way to go? a bit scared to buy actually any product that don't "spike" or volumize my hair.

I actually quite lazy lol, weekdays also don't style/bathe go work liao, but now a bit messy until even i bth, when hair falls front. i have a undercut with barely 3" in at the fringe, top and back.

also what comb you all use, wide? narrow?

how's gonzo super slick?

Last edited by true form; 02-10-2016 at 01:09 AM..
Old 02-10-2016, 03:50 AM   #8381
Supremacy Member

Any cream/clay/gel that replicates our scalp oil?

I find my hair looks best if I don't wash my hair/ just wet my hair...
Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #8382

looking for advice!

i wanna comb a side comb and comback if long/strong enough product. currently about 2.5"-3"

i used gold digger when hair even shorter for just a normal hold, and spike a bit. it does ok, but for combback i highly doubt possible for me. quite heavy feeling.

i bought Imperial pomade, supposed to pair with OS SSS, nv really used it then gave away lol. just didn't seem to work on my hair, turns out very flat and thin like a sheet stick to the scalp, flat scalp look.

i still have that bottle of OS SSS barely used, it says use on dry hair, but i try damp hair with water then blowdry with SSS, maybe hair just too stubborn/short last time lol, like make it more untidy look.

read a few pages, seems like MM TSB is the (only) way to go? a bit scared to buy actually any product that don't "spike" or volumize my hair.

I actually quite lazy lol, weekdays also don't style/bathe go work liao, but now a bit messy until even i bth, when hair falls front. i have a undercut with barely 3" in at the fringe, top and back.

how's gonzo super slick?
Gonzo super slick holds really well and can keep my hair back the whole day in a messy slickback. It doesnt harden that much unlike other gel pomade. It is a reallly heavy pomade imo and i cant get much volume.

My hair is 5 inches on the top and slightly shorter behind for reference. I fingercomb because i like that slightly messy look
true form likes this.

Last edited by Jun_rui; 02-10-2016 at 12:20 PM..
Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #8383

looking for advice!

how's gonzo super slick?
In terms of gel pomades (notice i dont call them water based), gonzo is a good one. Like the previous poster said, hardens but doesnt harden up too much, however there is absolutely no way you can restyle without water activation, which in my opinion, sucks big time. I atarted off thinking oh the stronger the hold the better, and hence started with gel pomades like suavecito, imperial classic and gonzo etc. Then i realised its not all about hold, and i actually preferred malleability over hold. So i slowly moved to water based ones like teddy boy original and odouds waterbased. Decided to add some variety to my hair products so tried stuff like blumaan original (works damn well for me as a prestyler, thank god for my thick asian hair hehe), SSS, Mm chrome and lockharts matte clay.

My point is, you needa know what you want, what you prefer over others in terms of the properties of the hair product. After that, read up reviews online on the products you shortlisted to see what other users feel about it and also to learn how to use the products the right way. For all you know, product works but you are using it wrongly? Don't give up on finding the right product, don't be lazy and forget about styling in the morning, keep trying coz once you hit the sweet spot and find the perfect style for yourself, you'll feel much better going through your day.
true form likes this.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #8384

Gonzo super slick holds really well and can keep my hair back the whole day in a messy slickback. It kdoesnt harden that much unlike other gell pomade. It is a reallly heavy pomade imo and i cant get much volume.

My hair is 5 inches on the top and slightly shorter behind for reference. I fingercomb because i like that slightly messy look
sounds good, but i don't think heavy is something i should be looking for, like you said hard to get volume.

i probably need something light so can "pomp" a bit, rather than weighing down on my hair and stick to scalp (flat look).

In terms of gel pomades (notice i dont call them water based), gonzo is a good one. Like the previous poster said, hardens but doesnt harden up too much, however there is absolutely no way you can restyle without water activation, which in my opinion, sucks big time. I atarted off thinking oh the stronger the hold the better, and hence started with gel pomades like suavecito, imperial classic and gonzo etc. Then i realised its not all about hold, and i actually preferred malleability over hold. So i slowly moved to water based ones like teddy boy original and odouds waterbased. Decided to add some variety to my hair products so tried stuff like blumaan original (works damn well for me as a prestyler, thank god for my thick asian hair hehe), SSS, Mm chrome and lockharts matte clay.

My point is, you needa know what you want, what you prefer over others in terms of the properties of the hair product. After that, read up reviews online on the products you shortlisted to see what other users feel about it and also to learn how to use the products the right way. For all you know, product works but you are using it wrongly? Don't give up on finding the right product, don't be lazy and forget about styling in the morning, keep trying coz once you hit the sweet spot and find the perfect style for yourself, you'll feel much better going through your day.
nice hair peptalk, djoker.

seems like you put gel pomade and waterbased pomade into different category.

my experience with imperial classic, my only pomade if you call it, is that it is very hard when dry, and it doesn't make it stay at the position, some strands pop up (partly coz hair short, stubborn, thin and no shape). while hair in center is lying flat along the scalp. like you said, it is hard to restyle and i just wash my hair and not put anything also better lol.

you're fortunate to have thick hair, i think they style a lot better and stick together to create a good mass.

my hair profile is always with hair wax to create that volume, it is ok with thin hair (and short <2"). that's why i used gold digger. and gave away the new imperial classic which didnt work lol.

but now hair longer a bit about 3" with undercut, and wanna create a new style, that's why thinking if i should give pomade another try.

seems like waterbased is the way to go "TEDDY BOY ORIGINAL POMADE (WATER BASED)", sounds like it isn't hard like rock and more flexible, my only doubt is will it help to make the hair "pomp/volumize" a little.

more incline to get a Original by BluMaan - Styling Meraki today, it is a hair wax, could be more suitable for me based on history lol.

BTW, how does Bluemaan compare vs Gold Digger? Lighter, stronger, more friendly to hair health, less rigid?

Last edited by true form; 02-10-2016 at 12:00 PM..
Old 02-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #8385

In response to djoker's post:

I agree. There is only so much advice we can help with in this thread.

Sometimes you just have to take the plunge and buy the product.

I also guarantee 90% of hair issues here stem from not knowing how to use a blow dryer properly.

End of the day, just have to keep trying out products and techniques.

(Or just be blessed with really good hair genetics)
true form likes this.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.