HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

The Hair Thread - Part 4

Like Tree1338Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #9136
Arch-Supremacy Member

Oh, how much does that cost? Is it working for you?
Trying to straighten, it but duno is it the temperature setting too low (was advised by hairdresser to set a certain temp), can't achieve the pin straight effect.

Was about $119

Old 28-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #9137
Supremacy Member

I know Powerpoint is very popular here. What makes it popular and good? I have tried Gatsby's line of hairspray but they are just sticky and the hold doesn't seem strong.

I was actually contemplating between Tresemme Salon Finish Freeze Hold and Got2b Glued Blasting Freeze Spray.

Are there any hairspray that still allow you to touch and mess your hair around without losing hold?

I don't know if it's popular or not. But to share my understanding for Power Point, 2 key points that make it unique - Weight and Shine. The hold itself is reasonably decent, but not outstanding enough to be a key selling point.

1. It's a lightweight spray that holds the hair well without pulling it down. Gives a natural finish as it dries very fast. Typical hair sprays will give a "wet" look as the dispensed liquid particles do not evaporate fast enough. When this happens, the weight inevitably goes up.

2. It is accompanied with matte finish, rather than the typical slight sheen. Seldom can you find matte hairsprays in the market. Due to our humid climate, most people find themselves being more accepting of matte finish (as it does not contribute to the oily look). However, that being said, I personally like my hair to have a slight shine finish (as my current permed hair looks dull and dry). Hence, it depends on one's needs.

The function of finishing hairspray is to hold and fix the place throughout the day. If you wish to restyle and to the extent of messing it around (for the messy look), then probably you should not be looking at a finishing hairspray. Suggest to look for a stronger hold wax/clay, and skip the finishing hairspray.
PinkOnion likes this.
Old 28-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #9138
Supremacy Member

That is true, I have permed my hair before last time and it ended up really dry and tangled. I am not sure if I am willing to do it again though...
Then the next question will be: Are you accept this trade off - having to repair and maintain your hair regularly (so that it will eliminate the dry/damaged hair look) in exchange for having permed hair? Do note that having permed hair reduces your styling/blow-drying time, flexibility to have a variety of hairstyles and real good volume in the hair.

If yes, you have many options to look at. Vitamin booster, hair conditioner or even hair mask. And just in case you're worrying about the hair turning straight after using these products, rest assured that they will not. Because the hair bonds are already structurally damaged through chemical means.
Old 28-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #9139
Supremacy Member

How long do you all take to style your hair every morning? 5mins, 15 or 30? Don't factor in shower time, if any.
For me, it is largely dependent on the length and thickness of my hair.

Within 2 weeks after a haircut, blow-drying will be approximately 5mins. Styling another 5 mins. Total 10mins.

Within 3 to 4 weeks after a haircut, it increases slightly to approx 15mins. Mainly due to blow-drying taking up more time now.

When it is more than 4 weeks, this is when things started to get complicated and will take approx 20mins or slightly more. My hair will grow out of shape, takes longer to blow dry and harder to hold it well (end up using more products). Eventually, it leads to the hair looking flat and limp (because it's now harder to find the optimal point).
Old 28-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #9140

I don't know if it's popular or not. But to share my understanding for Power Point, 2 key points that make it unique - Weight and Shine. The hold itself is reasonably decent, but not outstanding enough to be a key selling point.

1. It's a lightweight spray that holds the hair well without pulling it down. Gives a natural finish as it dries very fast. Typical hair sprays will give a "wet" look as the dispensed liquid particles do not evaporate fast enough. When this happens, the weight inevitably goes up.

2. It is accompanied with matte finish, rather than the typical slight sheen. Seldom can you find matte hairsprays in the market. Due to our humid climate, most people find themselves being more accepting of matte finish (as it does not contribute to the oily look). However, that being said, I personally like my hair to have a slight shine finish (as my current permed hair looks dull and dry). Hence, it depends on one's needs.

The function of finishing hairspray is to hold and fix the place throughout the day. If you wish to restyle and to the extent of messing it around (for the messy look), then probably you should not be looking at a finishing hairspray. Suggest to look for a stronger hold wax/clay, and skip the finishing hairspray.
Thanks for the insights! Do you use it personally? You know if it holds well against wind? My hair gets messed up easily by the wind as my hair is really fine and thin!
Old 28-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #9141

Then the next question will be: Are you accept this trade off - having to repair and maintain your hair regularly (so that it will eliminate the dry/damaged hair look) in exchange for having permed hair? Do note that having permed hair reduces your styling/blow-drying time, flexibility to have a variety of hairstyles and real good volume in the hair.

If yes, you have many options to look at. Vitamin booster, hair conditioner or even hair mask. And just in case you're worrying about the hair turning straight after using these products, rest assured that they will not. Because the hair bonds are already structurally damaged through chemical means.
My hairdresser did suggest to me to go for a light perm as my hair is really really straight. Guess your points are valid and I shall consider it!
Old 28-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #9142
Great Supremacy Member

Thanks for the insights! Do you use it personally? You know if it holds well against wind? My hair gets messed up easily by the wind as my hair is really fine and thin!
its normal dude.

u want a glued down hair meh? so unnatural.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #9143
Supremacy Member

Does all styling wax require blowdry?
Old 28-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #9144
Great Supremacy Member

yes, that's the pre-requisite.

unless you want to have wet look, then u can don't blow dry.
but usually the hold won't be there.
Old 28-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #9145

its normal dude.

u want a glued down hair meh? so unnatural.
hahaha true true. gx bro you use PP spray too?
Old 28-02-2017, 11:39 PM   #9146
Supremacy Member

Yes, this bottle of shampoo contains lesser conditioning agents but more of surfactants (yet certified organic ones) designed to remove stubborn build-up from your hair. Personally, I think having a bottle of deep cleansing to cleanse the hair and scalp is essential. Stuffs like waxes, moisturizers or styling products (including dry shampoo) shoud be removed thoroughly.
I am currently looking at either Joico K-Pak Clarifying Shampoo or O'right Green Tea Shampoo.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:09 AM   #9147

Hairspray significantly increases the endurance of your style overall, and holds it up better against the wind and sun. That is for sure. Use it if you really want your style to be fixed in place for the whole day. Some people prefer the messier, more relaxed look. So it all comes down to personal preference.

I understand the frustrations of having fine and limp hair as my hair type falls under that category as well. I've recently been rediscovering hairspray myself, and find that it is now a part of my hairstyling routine that I cannot do without (esp since my hair is shorter and I want it fixed in place). Lightweight hair product, few blasts of hairspray and I'm good to go.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #9148

I would say the performance of most styling waxes would be ENHANCED with the aid of a blowdryer esp in achieving modern, high volume kind of hairstyles. However, it is not an absolute MUST. I have used products such as Morris Motley Balm and Indians Molding Clay without a blow dryer, and both have given me significant hold and volume even in this case. Its all about experimentation and what hairstyle you're going for!
Old 01-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #9149
Great Supremacy Member

hahaha true true. gx bro you use PP spray too?
I used to. Quite a solid light weight spray.
But I like to touch my hair.
So eventually I managed to learn and style my hair without it.
Plus uevo grey does have the fixated feature.

Morris motley will be perfect for the natural look.

Depends on how long my hair is.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #9150

Just to share with you guys the 4 Local Singapore men's grooming websites for you to grab your hair products.

https://hairppening.sg/collections/
(They have 9 good brands including Morris Motley and Diamon Barber. Easy to use site with good layout)

https://sgpomades.com/
(This is the website for you to shop your hair styling products if you are on a budget. They feature a broad range of cheaper tier brands. I always buy here last time. But messy layout on mobile app)

http://hairbroducts.sg/
(Major discounts now. Closing down sale? GRAB THEM NOW)

https://hervaux.com.sg/
(If you shop hair products online alot and prefer long term benefits, then go for this site. They have started a ladderboard ranking program with good benefits a few days ago)
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.